Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Spey Is The Way
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are You Tube videos out there for everything but I can't find one for this. I have a dealer that does a nice job of this and though I have watched, it's a behind the counter type of thing. They remove some of the plastic off of the line and splice the backing to it by wrapping thread around it and sealing it with head cement (I think). Does anybody know how to do this or know of a video of it? I'm into welding and loops and all that but I would like to learn this as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Why would you want to do a splice vs a loop to loop connection? Loop to loops do have a larger connection profile but a has so much more versatility in being able to change fly lines.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
splice fly line to backing

What you are wanting ti do is called a double blind splice. It starts by stripping about 6 to 8 inces of the coating off the back of the fly line. At this point what you have is basically two pieces of 30# dacron line. Cortland used to sell a little tool for splicing loops in hollow core braid. (Actually, I prefer using a piece of .010 dia guitar string) But the tool included instructions on how to do the splice. It's the same as splicing a loop, except you are splicing the two ends. there is no thread or glue involved. The two lines will be locked together using the Chinese finger lock technique. No knots, no exposed ends, will go through the guides like butter.

·
Spey Is The Way
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I wasn't clear. It's not a loop to loop connection. It's a fly line without a loop that I want to permanently attach to the backing. Thanks JD but they did it with thread wraps. I can do a blind splice, didn't know it would work with a stripped fly line. I might try that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Leo

You were clear enough. I was just wondering why you would want a splice rather than a loop to loop in the first place. I have never had an issue with a loop to loop causing a problem going through the guides. Certainly a splice is neater but it is a one time deal.

·
JD
3,612 Posts
Au Contrair

Certainly a splice is neater but it is a one time deal.
I have done the double blind splice on several of my SH lines. As long as you don't apply any sealant to the splice, it can be disassembled without cutting anything. It is only a mechanical connection.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have a dealer that does a nice job of this and though I have watched, it's a behind the counter type of thing. They remove some of the plastic off of the line and splice the backing to it by wrapping thread around it and sealing it with head cement (I think). Does anybody know how to do this or know of a video of it? I'm into welding and loops and all that but I would like to learn this as well. Thanks.
Leo, you will find the blind splice is much smoother than what you're describing. I've had that done probably by the same dealer you're referring to, and it ends up in somewhat of a curve and is nowhere near as smooth as the double blind splice. In fact I cut it off after I learned to splice and am much happier with the result.

Regards

·
Spey Is The Way
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Richard, yes it probably is the same dealer and I know the little curve you are talking about. A bit annoying actually. Blind splice it will be. Thanks gentleman.

Leo

·
Registered
654 Posts
Perhaps this is obvious, but

it should be noted that the particular fly line has to have a braided core, and not all do, to perform the double blind splice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have done the double blind splice on several of my SH lines. As long as you don't apply any sealant to the splice, it can be disassembled without cutting anything. It is only a mechanical connection.
Correct but what do you do if you are on the water and your fly line gets wrapped around a rock and cut off? Now you have no way to replace the line quickly and continue fishing. That is my issue with the splice. And yes I have lost a line while fishing. Unloop the remaining piece. Loop on a spare fly line (we all carry them rigtht;)) and back to fishing.

·
Fishes with Wolves
419 Posts
Correct but what do you do if you are on the water and your fly line gets wrapped around a rock and cut off? Now you have no way to replace the line quickly and continue fishing. That is my issue with the splice. And yes I have lost a line while fishing. Unloop the remaining piece. Loop on a spare fly line (we all carry them rigtht;)) and back to fishing.
There are all manner of knots that can be used in an emergency situation.

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
I don't think it is a double, rather a single blind Splice

What you dealer friend likely did was expose the braided core of the flyline, threaded a wire through the core coming out at the cut end, threaded the backing through it and pulled it back through the core. Then, using a bobbin, he spun some thread wraps tightly around the core locking the backing even more securely than the Chinese finger method and finished it off with a drop of super glue.

If you are using a full fine and don't ever change it out on the river, then aside from the broken line scenario, this should work.

Personally speaking, I'd rather weld a loop in the end of the flyline, do BSL in the backing and go loop to loop. Much easier to make and to use, IMHO. See the YouTubes from Peter St Charles on welding loops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts