Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read some posts about this cast but Im in the dark as to what it entails. Could someone explain the cast movements and its advantages over a regular single spey?
thanks!

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,909 Posts
Actually the spiral is made towards the bank!

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
The spiral single is a great cast especially when Steve Choate does it :p

Concept:
The concept is to generate some energy at the start of what would otherwise be a single spey to (a) get the line moving (b) create tension in the line [vs slack] and (c) increase the load in the rod early in the sweep back to a d-loop, and probably a few more benefits that guys like Steve could explain best.

Method:
You are a righty on the left bank with the fly at the dangle. From the dangle start with a spiral angled toward the bank downriver, which is really the same motion as a snake roll on the other bank but you are now starting on the other side of your body. On the right bank, you snaked on the same side as the d-loop, but now you are making a little snake on the dangle before you sweep across to form the d-loop on the other side.

Why does this work so well?
When you lift the line from a dangle, there is a lot of potential line stick and slack to control which can sometimes complicate the change of direction single spey. I find it extremely useful when the hang down puts the fly into frog water or backeddies and the line is curved around currents and slicks and other surface anomalies, or when wind threatens to introduce slack in to a normal lift and sweep. A little spiral toward the bank before a smooth sweep to the casting position makes all the difference. I think it changes the angle of attack for the d-loop a little as well because the line is put into motion within a 'tensioned shape' that is suited for pulling into a d-loop from a bit more of an "inside lane". You can put more mustard into it than a traditional single spey.

Summary:
It's basically a single spey with a subdued start-up snake roll to get the line in motion & add tension for the sweep. This tension stabilizes line within a shape that is suitable to be swept across and back into a d-loop, just like a snake roll in theory, but with the necessary sweep to make the d-loop on the other side of the body that the snake roll does not need.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Peter I think you invented a new cast!

No matter what bank or hand the spiral should always start towards the bank. I think of it as drawing a half moon shape with the rod back towards the bank and then coming across my body as with the normal single spey.

-sean

·
Registered
147 Posts
Juro's description is right on.. I'll say it again using different words because some people see things a different way

the Sprial single right handed river left.

1. Line is on the dangle
2. you are facing downstream and slightly across
3. lift to 10 o'clock
OK NOW THE REST OF THE CAST IS DONE WITHOUT ANY STOPS

4. perform a SMALL counter clockwise spiral with the rod tip remaining high

5 rotate around at the hips bringing the rod around and raising it up into the fireing position on your right shoulder

6 fire...

What this accomplishes is an energized areialization of the line on the lift.. it makes it so that more energy can be put into the cast while taking less energy to perform the innitial lift.

WARNING!!!

If your anchor does not get upstream of the rod DO NOT FIRE!

This is a great cast for fishing skaters because it provides a good downstream angle and with skaters you don't to cast and mend you want the fly fishing as soon as it hits.. a good downstream angle facilitates that...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I do disagree on one thing however I don't think it generates any more power than a regular single spey.. the ending movement is identical to a single spey.. all the spiral single accomplishes is to get the line up and out of the water and into the foreing point in a more energized way, i don't think that has much if any influence on the end result in terms of power in the forward cast.

I personally would not do it with tips but then i don't throw a standard spiral with tips either. for tips i find it easier to do snap tees and reverse doubles.. the reverse double from river left is an awsom cast for tips!! never any cross over plus you can take your time and make it easy

·
1,771 Posts
This verbal exchange proves that video is very worthwhile, thanks Dana. I'll make popcorn ;)

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
hmmmm...been thinking about this one. Maybe its just me but I find that the spiral does tend to produce a slightly more powerful cast. The spiral seems to put a better load on the rod which creates a more dynamic D loop, which then loads the rod better on the forward cast. I seem to generate higher line speed with the spiral than the single spey.

It would be interesting to hear what lastcaststeve has to say on this subject.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
I also generate higher speed with the spiral single. However, I find a large change of direction to be a bit easier with the regular single, perhaps because the cast has less energy, which makes its easier to apply sudden power into a redirected D-loop.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Single and Direction

If you have been to one of the spey claves, like the Sandy, where Simon G. has presented, he often does a 180 with a single, as a demo. It is all in knowing how. Of course, it is much easier with a shallower angle.

I have watched Dr. Way and Steve C. do the spiral single from the left bank, and it is a counter-clockwise initial move that takes the line away from the bank, and aids with placement, and perhaps, increased load on the rod.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'll add $.02 here as well.

The one piece of explanation that crystalized this cast for me was that the spiral is very small and contained. It is not a large spiral like I make doing the snake roll, intead as I believe it was Dana who said it me, the purpose of the spiral is to break the long line free from the surface tension and allow you to aerialize the line more efficiently. This would be my guess as to why it generates more line speed - less energy is lost to lifting the line off the water. Never-the-less, the spiral itself is very small, so the line is not being thrown "way out into the river" - it is just being aerialized.

I hope that makes sense.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
video

I've added the clips of the spiral single to the speypages video library but you can jump to two views of the spiral single here and here.

Thanks to my good friend Tak Shimosawa of speypages Japan for filming these sequences, and to another good friend Nobuo Nodera (CND Spey Guru) for allowing me to pirate these images off his recent Speycasting DVD The Art of Speycasting.

BTW, these two fine fellows also hold the Federation of Fly Fishers Two-Handed Casting Instructor certification.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I agree with Ted. I can do much greater change of direction casts with the spiral single than with a normal single. You can place them virtually anywhere you want. It all depends on your body rotation to help with anchor placement. Kush is right, the spiral is relatively small.

·
1,771 Posts
peter-s-c said:
Juro

I'd like to see a video of you doing a spiral single as I'm having difficulty understanding from your description how the 180 degree principle is adhered to with the spiral angled toward the bank on a left bank, right hand situation.
Peter,

Hopefully Dana's video answers this question.

best,
Juro

·
Registered
926 Posts
Really interesting regarding direction of spiral. Peter, you were correct with your initial description of river left, starting the spiral toward the center of the river — a counter clockwise direction. Dana's video clearly shows it. His lift is vertical, his spiral starts toward the center of the river and is accomplished in a counter clockwise direction. Personally, my lift is very, very slightly off vertical, also leaning toward river center — and if I want a greater change of direction, a little more toward river center (anticipating body rotation). Speaking of videos, I'd love to see Juro's and Sean's videos of starting the spiral toward the bank (clockwise) on river left. I can't see how it's even remotely possible. My $.02.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts