Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a college student and trying to keep up with all the gear that I just simply have to have. I was wondering what Spey rods are out there besides the St. Croix Imperial series that run around $300?
thanks for the suggestions!

2tancaddis

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Not to many 'inexpensive' Spey Rods out there;

charge what the traffic will b.... stuff. However, the St. C. is a pretty good rod, but other alternatives are buying a used rod (most will be in very good shape) or building your own. Either way will cut hundreds of dollars off the cost.
fae

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Might check out Redington as an option to the St C. Do not know much about them but they probably haves some in your price range - check out their web site - redington.com.

Might also check with Welches Fly Shop - they have a couple of models listed - these guys sponsered the spey clave and are on top of spey gear

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Rick, excellent point on checking with Mark on

his web site. Noted he had several spey rods on sale as of yesterday.
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
CND

2tan,

If you can wait for a little you might want to try the entry level CND rod. I was able to cast it and the longer Thompson Special at the Carnation mini-clave. I would like to get my hands on one of each.

The entry CND was very light in the hand, but cast a midspey very nicely. I much prefer it over the Sage 9140-4, original brown.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Peter, the Whisker rods now have the same reel seat as the Lochmoor's. I picked up a 15' for about $140cdn. It's a cannon, but slightly heavier than the Lochmoor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
cheap rods

Loomis has spey rods in the $350 range ( at least they did two years ago) I thought that their 9 wt was very similar to the Sage 9140 of the same vintage. That is, a little stiff (which is what I like). I think that it was a GL3.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
St. Croix rods

I have fished a St. Croix 14' for 5 years and find it a very nice rod. I have used WindCutter 7/8/9, 8/9/10 both with sink tips and the Upgrade and the SA XLT 8/9. The XLT has turned the rod into my favorate summer rod.

I have a 15' rod for winter fishing with sink tips but the 14' will cast a type 6 sink tip on the 8/9/10 with the upgrade. I believe they are very good rods for the money.

Rich

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hello,
Some good advice already has been given. Remembering the the not too distantaway days when even a broken rod tip sent one on well fare I really would like to help.

1) Consider to roll your own rod. Then you get a blank, in most cases, with a warranty that is handy when you break the rod. Today when cork handles etc are half fabricate it is easy to make a good tool - a good blank with clumsily made wraps is 10 times better than a crappy one with top notch finish. Hook&Hackle have some good deals going, and Angler's Workshop is another place I often check out.

2) Buy a used rod. Here I think many of us saged 2handers could help. I for one have at leat half a dozen rods that only collect dust.

3) Write the rod companies and bluntly ask them if they have any demos they might want to sell. It costs nothing to ask and may very well be well received - espescially when you prove that you are a student.

Good luck!
Per

·
Registered
201 Posts
Redington has the RedFly series of two-handers which sell under $ 300USD. These rods cast very nice for the money. As you would expect at this price range, the hardware is kind of cheesy, but who cares about that stuff?

I was told that these rods were the result of the purchase of tooling and older designs from Loop fly rods of Sweden, but Per could tell us if that is true since he is close to Mr. Loop.

There is also a prototype around of a two-hander from a major manufacturer of discount high-end fly rods. I have heard that at present the company does not see high-enough demand to go into production with these rods. I personally see big potential demand for a top-quality two-hander selling in the range of $ 400USD, but I don't know anything about the fly rod business.

I have not cast this rod yet, but if it ever stops snowing, I might get a chance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
inexpensive rods

Cabelas has spey rods from $185-$200 and combos with reeel and line from $345-$380. It has mentioned here earlier that these are probably St. Croix rods

If you want to step up a bit, the Scott SAS rods in the low $400 are awfully hard to beat. I have the 13' 8 wt and it is rapidly becoming my favorite rod. Only problem is that it is a 3 pc. These rods have been recommended a number of times by some of our senior members. They're a bit faster than the Scott Arc's, and similar to the T&T's but feel a lot lighter

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
Hey 2hand,

I live close to them - but my periscope does not count for trade secrets of that magnitude. If you are right they never would admit it, would they?
If its true then Redington are using the same high-tech Korean setup as so many other rod companies are using.
In the end it will be like what we saw with photo gear 30-40 years ago - eventually those Far East chaps will start to hire their own designers and blow the market clean with good and cheap rods........
Per

·
Hooked on Salmon
161 Posts
I do not know what to call it as I have no real insight in the company as such. I like much of what Loop do, but I have no formal tie to them other than that I try to promote their reels, in the same relaxed manner as I help our friends at T&T, and also SAGE. Mail me what you have heard - it makes me curious!

Cheers,

Per

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Thank you to all that replied! I will take all your suggestions into serious consideration.
Thanks again,

2tancaddis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts