Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

It appears that my subscription has lapsed. This may/will sound selfish , however, I,m curious what the Speypages staff have planned/in the works for the next year for subscribing members, other than keeping the site up, that would provide incentive to re-suscribe?.

Will

·
That Guy in PEI.....
1,945 Posts
I didn't give it a thought really,, just went ahead and did it. But now that you mention it, maybe we could get a new 15'er or somthin:p :p
Some longer video sequences would be cool
Salmon Chaser

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Guys

Remember it is not just the special material that Dana provides, but the site itself that would not exist with all the great interchange. And yes, some are getting a free ride, but the information shared in the open board alone is worth more than a meal out to me. I will help pay to keep it up and running.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Will!

Thanks for making this post. It actually comes at an appropriate time because I'm looking ahead to 2007 and thinking about where I want to take the Speypages.

When I started the site back in 2000 and it was just a couple of reviews and a bunch of friends yacking online about Speystuff, I thought it would be fun to offer some Spey-specific information--mostly instructional stuff--available by subscription. At the time we didn't have any sponsors and the subscription thing was a way to fund things like web access, server time, hardware and software upgrades so that I could run the site. At last count those articles are now a combined total of over 150 pages--or at least the length of a good sized book on Speycasting. But as some folks have noticed over the last couple of years my production of articles has slowed down. The reason frankly is that after 157 pages it is challenging to keep coming up with new stuff to say about Speycasting. In 2007 The Speypages Newsletter and the Refinining the Spey Series will continue, but I think I have a better idea about how to deliver it:

Over the past year I've been working on The Speypages DVD and The Speypages DVD LE. And I've been thinking that now that I have all the whiz-bang technology in place to produce a DVD, perhaps I should turn the Speypages Newsletter into a Speypages Video Newsletter. I haven't quite figured out how to do this yet, but it would be something like either downloads or a mailed out DVD a couple of times a year that would feature instructional and entertaining material. I still have to kick this idea around and see if it really is workable, but I think it is and it would be a lot of fun to do and useful to subscribers as well.

The subscription program has become a way that Speypages readers can show their support and appreciation of what we make available. It is strictly voluntary; we don't hold anything in the site ransom. The subscriber section is our way of saying thank you to those good people who choose to support us--it gives them some added bonus material in exchange for their financial contribution to the site. We only have 154 active subscribers, but they are an important part of keeping the site alive.

Speypages is a grassroots phenomena--it was dreamed up by a regular guy who knew a few things about the two-handed fly rod and wanted to share what he knew and learn more from others. It grew and continues to grow due to the interest and partcipation of people like you. It never was and never will be designed to be something that makes a pile of money so that Dana, Sean and the mods can jet off to Russia every summer and fish for Atlantic salmon on the Ponoi. We keep it simple and low key because we only want to keep doing this as long as it is interesting and fun for us. When the fun stops, we'll simply shut down and go fishing.

I'm not going to try and hard-sell you or anyone else on the Subscriber Section. I simply ask that if you value the site you continue to support it. There's no where else you can get information like this, and it's all free. The contributions of subscribers and our sponsors makes certain that Speypages will be here in 2007 and beyond!

Ted and Salmon,

thanks for your continued support!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts