Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi out there.

I have just bought me a Norwich EV4 15´#10-11 it works well with an 37 gm shooting head at 36 foot. I´m looking for a short spey line as the windcutter but I have some questions

will the 9-10-11 windcutter match the rod?

if I buy the line with tips and mount the floating tip, will it then turn over as smoothly as a normal floater?

Are there other short heat speylines I should consider?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have no experience by that particular rod but something tells me you should go with the 10-12. I got a rod with a 9/10 and a 10/11 top and the 10-12 WC works well with both tops.

I tried an 8-10 WC for my 13´ 8/9 and it actually felt a bit too light (while a 10/11 Ian Gordon was just a bit too heavy). I´d like the 9/10/11 WC for that rod.

I haven´t experienced any bad turn over capacity with the floating tip.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Ibsen,
I have a Loop Gray 15' which is rated #10 and I have just bought a Guideline Power taper shooting head rated #10-#11 @13.4m which weighed at 49g according to my digital kitchen scales. What sort of shooting head have you got? Seems pretty light (39g=570grains) for a #10 rod, but hey, if it works for you then stick with it.
Anyway, one of the short heads that I would definitely recommend you take a look at is the Scientific Anglers Mastery Short Head Spey. I have a #9-10, but I'm sure the rod would handle the #10-11 if I wanted it to.
Before I bought it I got about five or six lines rated around 10 from friends and cast them all, as did my fishing buddies, and all of us liked the SA short best. Seems to turn over really smoothly with no noticable kick.
If you have a good relationship with a tackle shop and they'd be willing to let you try a couple then I'd take advantage of it. Or like me you could round up a couple of lines from friends..... :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
39gram LIGHT for a 15´ #10 ????????????????????????????????? The GLX 15´ we have 36-37grams and on the new Stinger GLX 15´ we have 38-39grams... hes plus an polyleader 2,5gram. .

I think you shud cut your PowerTaper to about 12meters for you Grey 15´. Att 38grams.

salmonick said:
Hi Ibsen,
I have a Loop Gray 15' which is rated #10 and I have just bought a Guideline Power taper shooting head rated #10-#11 @13.4m which weighed at 49g according to my digital kitchen scales. What sort of shooting head have you got? Seems pretty light (39g=570grains) for a #10 rod, but hey, if it works for you then stick with it.
Anyway, one of the short heads that I would definitely recommend you take a look at is the Scientific Anglers Mastery Short Head Spey. I have a #9-10, but I'm sure the rod would handle the #10-11 if I wanted it to.
Before I bought it I got about five or six lines rated around 10 from friends and cast them all, as did my fishing buddies, and all of us liked the SA short best. Seems to turn over really smoothly with no noticable kick.
If you have a good relationship with a tackle shop and they'd be willing to let you try a couple then I'd take advantage of it. Or like me you could round up a couple of lines from friends..... :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Grain weights...

You might well be right...
I may well cut it a foot at a time until I'm happy though. The Power tapers are pretty well respected lines and I will try it at full length first. To be honest I was a bit surprised to find the head was so heavy.
Rio's recommendations
are in the above link, and for a #10-11 they show a range of 41-45g, with their recommendation being 43.9g at 12.5m. Obviously this is rod, technique and everything else dependent, but its a start. Your recommendation of 39g is slightly lower than this, my new head is quite a bit higher than this, but then you have lots more experience than me. I'll have to see how I get on.
My short head spey 9/10 has a head weight of 750 grains (49g), but has a head length of 53ft, so for similar rod load the Shooting head would need to be cut. I know you like your loop tackle Jacob, what rods and heads do you use?
Nick
ps I still stick with me recommendation of the SA Short head Spey 9/10 which I think is really nice.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Rio´s recommendations for shooting heads are well on the heavy side, I think. Are you sure you´re not mixing up head weights for shooting heads with head weights for spey lines? I´ve found that spey heads should be 20-30 % heavier (or even more) than shooting heads, used on the same rod. It´s all about weight distribution along different lengths of line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didn't think I was mixing them up, I know that you can't equate head weights for different belly lengths, - a long belly line can weigh far more than a short head spey line. That's what I meant when I said "so for similar rod load the Shooting head would need to be cut" - you couldn't have both the Power Taper and SA Short at the same head weight and expect them to load the same. (I don't think I expressed myself particularly well though.)
I just thought that A Guideline Power Taper would be reasonably typical of a true scandinavian shooting head. It could well prove to be much too heavy for my 15' Greyline at its full length and might well need cutting like Jacob suggests. The line recommendations that he pointed me towards - found on Loomis's website suggest that the Guideline power tapers match their weight designations pretty well. I'm open to suggestions, and will no doubt need help from you guys as I try to use shooting heads to their best effect.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello! At the moment, in my rodbusch, i have tow favourites. the New G.Loomis Stinger GLX 15´ #10-11 3pice. On thaht rod i have shootingheadsin 36-37grams 11,7-13m long. Mostly Loop Custom2, Loop Custom & Guideline PowerTaper. Favouritelines: Loop Custom2 Floating 12meters. Old Guideline PowerTaper Professional Clear Intemediate 11,9meters.

Then my second favourite rod for he moment is my Greyline 13´ #9 4pice. The favourriteline i have for thaht is a Loop Custom2 floating on 11meters and 27grams.

I also have: Guideline LPXe 15´ #10-11 and a Greenline 12,4´ thaht i use. But im going to replace all my rods to Loomis and Sage. :roll: :smokin:

salmonick said:
You might well be right...
I may well cut it a foot at a time until I'm happy though. The Power tapers are pretty well respected lines and I will try it at full length first. To be honest I was a bit surprised to find the head was so heavy.
Rio's recommendations
are in the above link, and for a #10-11 they show a range of 41-45g, with their recommendation being 43.9g at 12.5m. Obviously this is rod, technique and everything else dependent, but its a start. Your recommendation of 39g is slightly lower than this, my new head is quite a bit higher than this, but then you have lots more experience than me. I'll have to see how I get on.
My short head spey 9/10 has a head weight of 750 grains (49g), but has a head length of 53ft, so for similar rod load the Shooting head would need to be cut. I know you like your loop tackle Jacob, what rods and heads do you use?
Nick
ps I still stick with me recommendation of the SA Short head Spey 9/10 which I think is really nice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Overhead or Underhand

Would it be true to say that a shooting head designed for some sort of underhand casting should be heavier than a shooting head designed for overhead casting?

For overhead casting the whole line is aerialised and pulling the spring of the rod. While underhand casting still involves some form of D Loop meaning that only a section of the line is loading the rod.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ibsen

Do a search for David Norwich's website. He is a helpful guy, and who better to recommend a line than the rod builder himself?

·
Registered
260 Posts
salmonick said:
(I don't think I expressed myself particularly well though.)
Most likely I wasn´t reading your post well enough :eek:

I think Jacob is right, you might wanna try that head somewhat shorter. Actually, Guideline recommends people who want to leave their PT:s uncut (at about 13-13,5 meters) to drop one line size. A full lenght PT on a 10/11 rod should be a 9/10, following that recommendation.

Slightly off-topic here: I like to stick with, for example, 9/10 Power Tapers along with 9/10 rods (around 12 meters and around 35 grams). Can´t see the reason for choosing a 10/11 PT for a 9/10 rod. These are heavy heads from the start. Some do it for tight spots, but seriously, a head that is 1,5 meters shorter won´t really help that much. As soon as you get out of that tight spot that head will feel clunky and wobbly. Much better to use a different cast, for example the snap-T. In my humble opinion, of course! :D Also, a tight spot usually means that the water is deep close to the shore, which in most rivers should mean that salmon lie pretty close. A short but not overly heavy shooting head is much easier to handle in these situations, I feel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was always told that the Loop Grey was #10-11, not #9-10. Some places its advertised as a #10 (as on Loop's website) other places its advertised as a #10/11 (tightlines.co.uk).
Thanks for the info on Guideline PT's, I'm trying to learn Norwegian, but its not helping much reading Swedish!. I couldn't even find the "Power taper" on the fluglinor page. Guideline are pretty new to the UK and aren't widely available here, so there's not much info. I would have bought Loop adapted system, but I can't find them advertised in the UK either. The only place to have Guideline advertised online in the uk is tightlines and they don't even list a #9/10 model, just 8-9 and 10-11.
I'll probably end up cutting it back from what you say. Have you any tips on how to do this, or do you recommend doing it a bit at a time until I'm happy? I'm new to SHs so any help much appreciated!! Also, when cutting lines back, do you just put a braided loop on them, or does it hit the rings? I 'm not even sure if you cave the end of the head just outside the end of the rod or a couple of rings down!
thanks, Nick.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Cut it about 20-30 cm each time. I find it hard to slip braided loops over those thick back ends and usually remove a bit of the coating, then tie a non-slip loop knot (or a perfection loop). When I find the correct length I smear the whole thing with AquaSeal or something similar. Totally fool proof and slides easily through the guides. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks very much. I'll try it later this afternoon. Still makes me a bit nervous cutting a brand new line as once its cut there's no going back! :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts