Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who attened and those who did not I need you impute.

I and my staff have been working on Speyfair 2006 since the close of Speyfair 2005.
We will be reorganizing the program to make it more users friendly.
I will be condensing the venue and getting the dealer reps and there products closer to the main casting area.
We will only have on demo are this year instead of two.
We had casting games as every one wanted on running water to give a little more realistic.
Next year we will be adding overhead casting and some other things have been suggested.
How does a banquette sound?

That is why I am doing this post.
Now is your chance to sound off.

:smokin:

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey Aaron

First of all, the Barn was awesome. Having a permanent structure, even if it wasn't needed for rain, gives the Speyfair an advantage over most other locations. I'd personally rather walk a little to the mouth of the tolt than just have a few tents on the lawn in the campground. Unless the cost is prohibitive, or you hear from a bunch of folks whose mobility is limited and it made things hard for them. perhaps the Clan (I'll be joining as soon as it goes formal) volunteers could shuttle the few legitimately walking impaired to the river.

A banquette would be fun.

I've always hated being at shows and having to pick between "nick curccione on tuna" and "skip morris on emergers" both starting presentations at the same time, so having one demo area would be great.

Making a less serious, and by that I mean less timeconsuming in terms of putting it on, casting competition for the novices that would be less stressful and would increase participation would be fun. You know something like everyone uses a loop yellow 14 ft. 9wt. and a windcutter, two warmups, 3 official casts, longest cast wins, let's keep it moving people! Heck, it could be on grass. The serious casters competition doesn't need to change. I'm sure Brian and Kush are currently thinking about better ways to manage their running line and will return to dominate again next time :smokin:

More clearly posted schedule of events, and even a sandwich board down at the river with the schedule would help.

My impression of the event was completely positive. Although you could have charged more for the "donation" for the hamburgers. They were really good!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Aaron,

It was a good event, I look forward to the next one.

I really liked your idea to hold a competition every 3 months (I wouldn't even mind a shorter interval - 2 months?). The competition was popular with contestants and onlookers. It is something different, I think the demos can get a bit old.

The regular casting events will definitely promote competitive casting and may well show results at places like Spey-O-Rama. Having participated in a couple of competitions I have discovered that one of the biggest hurdles to master is the "nerves" that go with competing in front of people. Throwing 140' casts on your own is one thing - doing it when "it counts" is a far different thing! A regular competitive schedule will go a long way in preparing those so inclined to compete at larger venues.

As well, I really like Philster's suggestion of a "fun competition" something for the average caster to get into. Something low-key like Marlow does at his competition, the "average" cast wins will induce everyone to try. As well, it would be easier and faster to do that on the grass.

I also think that you could schedule a beginners class, one for newbies only. The whole idea of these events is to encourage new people into the sport. If a set time is organized, maybe with a "team" of instructors it would be well recieved - especially if it was promoted ahead of time.

More along these lines I think it is time to get a little more innovative with Claves. We have all seen the standard thing done many times and some new approaches are past due. The little improptu "round-table" session that the presentors did at the water on Sunday was really interesting. I found it very refreshing and useful. I would look forward to participating in more of that kind of thing.

You could also focuss a little more on fishing techniques.... that's right - we fish too! If Mike Kinney were to discuss his theories on fishing I would be first in line! Tod Scharf's demo on how he fishes for coho was interesting and more of that would be cool.

I am sure I will have more ideas later on - now it is dinner time :D

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Thanks, Speybum, it was an excellent event.

kush said:
The little improptu "round-table" session that the presentors did at the water on Sunday was really interesting. I found it very refreshing and useful. I would look forward to participating in more of that kind of thing.
I agree with Kush. This was my favorite event of the Spey Fair. It gave me a chance to see all the presenters in one place, in the space of an hour or so.

I also agree that some kind of beginner class, advertised as such, would be an excellent addition. I think I could have talked some of my one-hander friends into attending if I had been able to point at the schedule and say, "See, there's a session for folks with little or no experience."

As an attendee, I wouldn't mind paying/donating some money to the cause. I think putting out a donation jar (or something like that) is a good idea.

Thanks!

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Sorry I missed it

Having never been there, I don't really feel qualified to say anything. I'm defenantely going to have to make it next year. So,,,just a word here & there,,,my own personal thoughts,,,,fwiw.

The barn? Round Table? Since I missed it, not quite sure what you are talking about. But sounds good to me. Fishing techniques? Mike Kinney? Ed Ward? Anyone!! YES!!! Demo's, Casting Games? They are O.K. as long as there is still time/space to play with the try rack. ;) A banquette, pot luck, would be fantasic! Look out Fred, I can cook too. :chuckle: Is there a place to camp? Motor homes? Hook ups? What?

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
JDJones said:
The barn? Round Table? Since I missed it, not quite sure what you are talking about. But sounds good to me. Fishing techniques? Mike Kinney? Ed Ward? Anyone!! YES!!! Demo's, Casting Games? They are O.K. as long as there is still time/space to play with the try rack. ;) A banquette, pot luck, would be fantasic! Look out Fred, I can cook too. :chuckle: Is there a place to camp? Motor homes? Hook ups? What?
Here's a link to the location http://www.metrokc.gov/parks/rentals/toltmac.htm

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think a change of direction to 45 degrees would be a good thing to incorporate into the event. If water levels are in our favor for next year I don't see this being a problem. I think also that it is important to remember that the one controlling factor is the river itself, it pretty much dictates what your going to get away with when it comes to setting up a casting course on moving water.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey guys, the more realistic the setup for the competition, the better. No arguing that fact. However, are you proposing just blocking off part of a navigable river filled with boaters/fishermen? Stationing folks out in that river to measure casts? The two events that have been used as a comparison are both done on stillwaters. There's probably a reason. Sorry for being negative but I have houseguests and my feet hurt :mad:

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I might get shot for this suggestion; but here goes. Why not require the use of right hand up on right shoulder casts and left hand up on left shoulder casts in the competition? :whoa: I mention this because all of us are far worse casters with our non-dominant hand up instead of using a reverse single spey.

Unfortunately, I don't see how a double spey could be incorporated into the casting competition because it would require closing the river off from bank to bank; but having both single spey and double spey would certainly be a great indicator of casting ability in the competition.

Seriously, the only real suggestion I have is this: as nice as the covered area is, it would be very nice to have the rods displayed closer to the area where the casting competition takes place.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Phil
Good point!!! I tend to forget about that navagable river thing.

Russ
That would make the competition interesting. So next year you get to explain to Kush why he cant do a back hand switch cast. :hihi: I think it would have been nice to have the rods a bit closer to the water as well.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
I think setting up the competition with an angle change on the river would be difficult.
I say lets keep it simple.
I like the idea of 3 casts instead of 2 off each side with 2 counting towards the average off of each side.
I would like to keep it so you can use right or left hand up or cross body.
Lets get rid of the back cast barrier. As long as the yarn does not land behind you it is a good cast.
I also suggest we move the date to sometime in August or early Sept.
That way more people could show up who in Oct. are away fishing or guiding.
The red barn is nice but it would be nice to have the demo rods and gear reps closer to the demo area.
I would like to be informed when there is a drawing for free goodies next year. :D
I would also like to put out an invite to are UK/Euro, Japanese, Great lakes and Canadian friends to make the journey to the SpeyFair. Everyone is welcome.
It will only get bigger and better!

·
Norwegian speyfanatic
197 Posts
Big K1 said:
I would also like to put out an invite to are UK/Euro, Japanese, Great lakes and Canadian friends to make the journey to the SpeyFair. Everyone is welcome.
Then it has to be in October or November, not in August when we are busy fishing salmon here in Europe (well, at least in Norway)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spey Fair 2006

I really enjoyed myself the whole event. The setup was nice but it could even better if gear reps located by the water. Casting on water is always different from casting on grass. Also keeping people in one place would be a plus. To me, meeting people is one of the best parts of my participation. One more thing I would like to ask is "could someone turn off the wind while I am casting?" :D

Thanks Aaron. I will be there next year.

Simon Hsieh

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Simon,

It was nice meeting you this year. Glad to here you will be coming up again next year.
l guess the clan better start working on a wind barrier! :D
Maybe we should do the comp. in the morning when it is calmer and let all
the guys doing demos cast in the wind in the afternoon. :saevilw:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kevin,

It was very nice meeting you too and also Leroy, Michael, Brain, Jason and the one handed me a rain jaket in the raining Sunday afternoon. Sorry I didn't get your name but thanks for keeping me dry.

For casting competition, I think it depends on the goal of the event setup. It can be setup for perfect cast (distance) or more down to earth, a fishing condition setup. Change direction, moving water (more water drag), wind condition, and elevation of the casting platform and ... would change the outcome of the competition. They are all challenges to competitors. The setup can have its identity or can be the same as other events. No matter what setup is, I will be having fun casting in front of audiences again next year and next....

Simon Hsieh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts