Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for a friend:

Rod is an Orvis Helios (first generation) 5wt switch. Grain window on rod is 240 to 325.

If the rod is only going to be used for indicator nymphing, what are your thoughts on the relative merits of a 5wt Speydicator and a long belly single-hand 7wt line such as a Rio Salmon/Steelhead or an Airflo Distance Pro?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
... For a friend :chuckle:

Sorry couldn't resist, but isn't that the oldest cliche in the book. I have no experience with either of those setups so I can't really advise. For me, if I am fishing with an indicator, I really find it more enjoyable with a single hand rod. Just me though, I know others do it and do well with 2 handers and a bobber.
Cheers,
JB

·
registered text offender
1,331 Posts
if your freind is not speycasting, she/he may find a lighter double taper just the ticket. mends and rollcasts like a champ. most folks i see using a switch rod for nymphing, use it as a long single hander.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The speydicator is designed specifically for that so I'm sure it would work great. I agree that a long single hander is much more comfortable to nymph with but if he's set on the 2hander the speydicator is the way to go.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The speydicator will certainly chuck some junk. It's a massive line so be prepared with a big reel or cut some of the running line portion off. Use a double spey and save your...uh, your friends arm, the world won't end if you spey cast a bobber and nymph/bead.

·
Recreational User
214 Posts
ECHO sphere distance taper in 7 or 8 would be my choice.

Actually, a pin rod would be my choice, but if you want to use a switch rod, then the Sphere distance taper is a pretty good place to start.

Have fun, catch fish, smile a lot.

·
Registered
23 Posts
line choice

I would base decision on whether friend wants to spey/skagit/whatever cast or overhead cast. Speydicator is great for the former but would suggest one of the single - handed lines or Rio Switch line if there is any thought of latter and they'll still work for former. If I'm overhead casting with occasional roll or spey type casts with an indicator, I'll use a 9 1/2 foot single-handed rod - mostly when trout fishing or steelhead fishing on really tight stream. That said, I'll use a switch rod with a Speydicator most of the time and Skagit cast when indicator fishing for steelhead. If you can, try to find a shop with demo lines or friends with lines so you or friend can try them, maybe also get some casting pointers. Whatever advice you get there's no comparison between advice and trying a line on the rod in the way you want to cast it. I may like a certain rod/line combination and others won't - single or double-handed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts