Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've observed that these reels frequently appear for sale and I'm curious as to why?, considering they are hand make ,and probably bought direct.
They appear to be a class reel, and one that I am considering buying,
Perhaps those who are selling them could explain, and what reel are you then replacing it with.
Do these reels not tick all the boxes!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Speyco

I own two of Tim's reels, a 33/4 switch reel with the older click and pawl mechanism and a 4" symmetry model with the current multi hex head clicker system.

I think they are good looking, hard working reels that last. I fish them both regularly, I prefer the multi hex, it works great and is mechanically superior to the old versions in my opinion.

Now I don't think they are quite as refined in finish as say a Bellinger or a Saracione, but at their price point, they are quite affordable and I think as such, there are a lot of them out there.

If you're looking for a traditional styled reel that will do what you need and look good on a rod, I don't think you'd be disappointed with a speyco. Tim's a nice fellow and if you ever have a problem, just get him on the phone and he'll help sort it out.

·
Registered
823 Posts
wait a minute..................

I don't think its ANY reflection on the reel or its maker.
I think the DNA and personality type of steelheaders is that:

1. They tend to be gear heads
2. They are constantly upgrading or changing equipment to suit a more refined need thats evolved.

..........or both!

Hardy reels are also for sale frequently on here. As are olsons, saraciones, etc.
the guys I fish with keep a very small percentage of their gear "forever".

I have sold stuff thinking foolishly that the combo of rod/reel/line is ""off"" and somehow a tweek on some of the stuff will make me better at catching fish or more happy. Total delusion on my part---but I submit thats its a common psyche among us.

These days, I have really enjoyed buying/selling stuff for trivial and esoteric reasons----for years---- on these pages. Financially stupid and taking losses, but im not the only one.

Tim is a passionate skilled craftsman who is also a passionate skilled angler. That is an elegant pairing if you ask me.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had an older Speyco reel and sold it because I sold the rod I had it on. Now I have a rod similar in weight/length and wish I had it back. I would love to have another speyco reel, but it is not in the budget right now. I would also love to try out the trout speyco reels on my light switch rod.

Tim has a new model out and I think I might try to get me one after the new year, or after tax time next year.

Dan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been looking on his website and they look the job, also they get great reviews on other forums,,,,,,,,,,,decision-making on something in the 8/9 # range
Interesting that you would rather have the new spring style mechanism, above the old paw style, any particular reason?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Totally agre with what Speyday is saying - in my case I have a River Spey for sale that I had matched to a 15ft. rod. Long rods are not my cup of tea - threfore I am parting with the large reel.

Best part - spoke to Tim at Speyco about another new reel and he mentioned he may have a buyer for mine. You really can't beat that type of service combined with an outstanding product.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Speyco reels are bomber. I have two older ones and I could drive nails with them all day then go fishing. I like the older checks best as they have a nice deep growl. Last summer I was in Alaska fishing at an outpost and the guides let me go out after dinner, as it is light for an incredible length of time. They were laughing that they knew I had hooked up when they could hear my reel growling from 1/2 a km away. Turned into one of the best evenings of fishing in my life. All of us fishing and laughing until midnight. I can find nothing bad to say about them other then I would like to own more of them.

Brayden

·
Lucky Bastard
699 Posts
I own a couple Speycos.A Switch and a Scandi. I You can get them as simple or blinged out as you like. Will be looking for a single spey and a piller post in the future.Tim is a great guy who will do what it takes. Have spoke with him a few of times over the years and is clearly a passionate person in all his endeavors. I will be sending back my Skandi to get a fatty handle this winter.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Speyco reels are bomber. I have two older ones and I could drive nails with them all day then go fishing. I like the older checks best as they have a nice deep growl.

Brayden
Agree with the older checks. Way better sounding that the Hexa Drags. Wish that was still an option to purchase.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
What he said.

I don't think its ANY reflection on the reel or its maker.
I think the DNA and personality type of steelheaders is that:

1. They tend to be gear heads
2. They are constantly upgrading or changing equipment to suit a more refined need thats evolved.

..........or both!

Hardy reels are also for sale frequently on here. As are olsons, saraciones, etc.
the guys I fish with keep a very small percentage of their gear "forever".

I have sold stuff thinking foolishly that the combo of rod/reel/line is ""off"" and somehow a tweek on some of the stuff will make me better at catching fish or more happy. Total delusion on my part---but I submit thats its a common psyche among us.

These days, I have really enjoyed buying/selling stuff for trivial and esoteric reasons----for years---- on these pages. Financially stupid and taking losses, but im not the only one.

Tim is a passionate skilled craftsman who is also a passionate skilled angler. That is an elegant pairing if you ask me.

Have several of Tim's reels and they're 'bullet proof.' Simple in design, but bullet proof. My running joke is you could 'pound nails' with these things, they are that well built. Having one of Tim's reels is like having a custom made spey rod .... it was built 'Just for you.'

fae

·
Registered
296 Posts
Have several of Tim's reels and they're 'bullet proof.' Simple in design, but bullet proof. My running joke is you could 'pound nails' with these things, they are that well built. Having one of Tim's reels is like having a custom made spey rod .... it was built 'Just for you.'

fae
phatagrova - Fred ain't kidding!! Tim literally put a bullet through one of his reels and it still works like a charm I hear. Just in case you haven't seen it before:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will reiterate the sentiment, SpeyCo reeals are awesome. SpeyCo produces a quality build, it isn't blingy or super fancy, (but a solid good looking hard working reel) If you spend long enough in the Classified section you would actually see that SpeyCo reels do not come up all that often, and I assume that is becasuse of personal preference and not related to the product. Not to mention that you can order a pretty customized reel for a very competitive price. IMHO you cannot go wrong with these reels!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
as said above they really dont come up often at all, over time... I would say I see 10+ hardys for every one speyco for sale in the classifieds. I wasnt "actively" looking but i was watching the classifieds for MONTHS waiting for one to pop up so I would have an excuse to get one, never happened. There just happens to be a couple right now... The classifieds on the pages seem to go in cycles too, for a month you will see a lot of high end reels then nothing, then a lot of long rods, short rods, etc... Speyco will stand the test of time and the people selling have a good reason, even if it is just that they are a gear head!
-Josh

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Just try that with a Hardy.

phatagrova - Fred ain't kidding!! Tim literally put a bullet through one of his reels and it still works like a charm I hear. Just in case you haven't seen it before:

Heard about that reel ... Tim also hunts and a Griz had that thing on a gold chain around his neck. Bad Call, really-really a bad call. :roll: And I have no intention of testing out one of his reels at MINUS FIFTEEN DEGREES. We have very strong laws against that sort of weather here in Southern Oregon.

:D

·
Banned
690 Posts
Don't have one of his reels (yet), though have fished and owned Abel, Hardy, Peerless, Bogdan etc...

NOW
...waiting for a return e-mail from Tim;
I know he has been busy...

BUT

CALLING TIM!!!
CALLING TIM!!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
spey co

I have owned two of Tims reels and couldn't ask for a better reel. Like others have said we all go through tons of gear from time to time. The classifieds seems to get a little bit off everything on them. I would say you see more hardys then anything. If you do get one of his reels you can make it just how you want it. This Is something that is hard time find nowadays.

Andrew

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have one as well. I think a person has to really be into reels or at least interested in them to appreciate what it is. A classic style hand built reel by an honest guy for a great price. But i also have a hard time explaining to people why I use a reel with basically no adjustable drag on the hardest fighting fish while my trout reels have some of the most impressive drag systems on the market. You can find a much more versatile and cheap reel for a lot less, but sometimes, at least for me, thats not what it's all about in steelheading.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dead on TB, dead on.

'Drag that will stop a run-away train.' Okie-Dokie ..... :rolleyes: That's one of the sales blurbs that's always had me wondering. As in 'Why?' For exceptionally light leaders (think 6" trout) I can see the need. With a 2hander, and all the guides the lines running through, you've got one heck of a lot of built in 'drag' just from the line.

Finger tips on the spinning spool on a SpeyCo is all I've ever needed. Well, save for once but it was a King Salmon. There, more would have been better.:eek:

fae

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,402 Posts
See that nobody that has ever sold one has responded and instead all you are getting is guys who love them. Ok, at the risk of getting flamed, here are my two cents.

I had one of his earlier models. I fished it one season including a trip to the Skeena. It worked fine and landed some nice fish. It just wasn't for me though. Lots of little things that just bugged me, none of which effected its usability. Cosmetically the fit and finish concerned me. Once again, nothing horrible but visable machining marks on the interior. The handle rattled and had a sharp edge. I see in some later versions that the handles look more like the old Perfect handles so this may have been fixed. Finally, while I love a loud reel, I didn't like the sound. It was just too metallic sounding.

Once again, none of these were anything but personal preference but they were the reason I moved mine on. Just my two cents.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts