Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this problem? I'm right handed, and have noticed that after a few hours fishing, the outside of my right elbow is aching. I think it's from mending when I'm on river left, single-speying; then I'm pushing the rod out from my body when mending, and it puts lots of lateral pressure on the outside of the elbow. Anyone got any suggestions? I've been trying to use my bottom hand more in the mend, but any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Two Questions
1. Which Speypages?
2. Outlook express has stopped access to these unsafe attchments. How can I persuade OE that Dana's Speypages are suitable reading material.

I have pain in my left elbow and pain on lifting anything, this has been since October when I was throwing longlines on the Ness from the right bank. How long does it last?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
tools>options>security

in outlook follow the path above and you'll see a box that allows you to select whether or not to allow attachment downloads. clear the checkmark and you should be able to download my articles.

note: PLEASE make certain your virus scanners are updated. I check my machine weekly but there is always a chance that one of the newer ones could get past me. I can't be responsible for a virus sent through the articles.

part one of my series on the underhand cast discusses how I came to favor this method...because I had developed tennis elbow (caster's elbow) in my right arm. the pain lasted over a year, but using the underhand style took the stress off my top hand and allowed me to cast even long lines with minimal discomfort.

here's the section from the article:

Then a pivotal moment in my spey casting career occurred--I decided to teach my neighbour how to double haul. What does the double haul have to do with the underhand cast? Tennis elbow. Despite the fact that it had been months since I picked up a heavy single hander, I spent some time with Ben and his 8-1/2ft 8 weight teaching him what little I knew about the double haul so that he could join me later that fall on the Thompson. Three days later I had a serious case of tennis elbow that was to last for the better part of a year. My injury was so bad that I couldn’t even pick up a coffee cup without pain, and any serious spey casting as well was out-of-the-question, for every time I extended my right arm I would get a serious stab of pain in the elbow. Yeeouch!

Strangely enough, this was the best thing that ever could have happened to me, for the pain drove me to experiment with new ways of casting a spey rod, and the one that was most effective and least painful for me was the underhand cast. With my traditional spey method I extended the top arm during the forward cast, and used my bottom hand mostly to assist the final acceleration and stop of the rod. As I experimented with underhand casting I found that I was able to use my top arm in a more relaxed and less active fashion, relying on the bottom hand for the application of power, and using the natural “body block” of the lower torso to help stop the rod. This took the strain off my elbow and allowed me to continue to spey cast and fish for steelhead despite my injury. And with time and practice I was to discover that the underhand casting technique is applicable not only to shooting heads, but indeed all spey lines. It is a highly efficient method of casting a spey rod and has taken me a long way towards realizing my casting potential.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Dana,
Thanks thats OE sorted.
Did you use anything to "cure" your tennis elbow or did you just wait and rest to cure it?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
kush

tyler had it a few years before I got it, and he got some physiotherapy for it and directed me towards some info on the Forum about it. I used the exercises and they help, but it is also one of those things that needs time.

Here's the link to the article. I just checked it and it's still live:

Tennis Elbow

Thanks to Forum member Fred A for originally alerting us to this useful article!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: kush

Dana said:
but it is also one of those things that needs time.

Time, it has 7 weeks, the season opens again on Jan 15th 2004

I'll give the excersises a go.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dana. I notice in the tennis elbow article that one of the causes of t.e. is the backhand, which is roughly the same motion as a mend. My underuse of my underhand might be involved as well. I just know that I really feel it when mending.

I know that Derek Brown doesn't _seem_ to involve the underhand much in his casting (he talks a lot about not letting the rod butt kick out), but what I do notice in watching his tape is that he keeps his arms and elbows close in, and uses the rod-butt-against-the-body technique to stop the rod on the forward cast (as you suggest in your excerpt.) Anyway, last time I was out, when the pain started I consciously pulled everything in a little, and it helped a lot. Casting improved too.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dana, Bob Meiser, Speybro, Juro

Dana posted, "Then a pivotal moment in my spey casting career occurred--I decided to teach my neighbour how to double haul. What does the double haul have to do with the underhand cast? Tennis elbow. Despite the fact that it had been months since I picked up a heavy single hander, I spent some time with Ben and his 8-1/2ft 8 weight teaching him what little I knew about the double haul so that he could join me later that fall on the Thompson. Three days later I had a serious case of tennis elbow that was to last for the better part of a year. My injury was so bad that I couldn’t even pick up a coffee cup without pain, and any serious spey casting as well was out-of-the-question, for every time I extended my right arm I would get a serious stab of pain in the elbow. Yeeouch!"

The double haul with a heavy single handed rod and shooting a heavy shooting head has resulted in massive tennis elbows and setting up bad shoulders and driven many fly fishers away from fly fishing the bigger waters.

My right elbow just started sympathy aching from reading the above from Dana.

There is an incredible need for a video tape/dvd, not a few short clips showing us how to do the underhanded Spey cast with the Meiser rods and shorter Spey rods. A correct underhanded cast that doesn't reinjure old bad elbows or makes bad elbows out of new ones.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Malcolm

Be sure you reset security on OE and take it off just for Dana's articles, as you do not want something bad to slip past.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
the mends got me too, debarb!

they were killer, but not as bad as the squeeze I use when I stop the rod on the forward stroke. That was brutal.

I got around it by also using the bottom hand to mend--do most of the lifting and moving with the bottom hand, using the top hand just as a support. With a little practice I was able to mend a pretty good length of line like this. Not pain free, but decidedly less painful than top hand only or dominant.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Spey Elbow and other Afflictions of the aged

Those like me of slightly more mature years may find regular doses of glucosomine sulphate ,i find my achy joints much improved by taking 500mg twice daily ,Malcolm it might work for you ,though I know your still in the first flush of youth .hehe:

I was put onto glucosomine by a Vietnam Vet whos ten years my senior and is super fit for his age ,and not easily conned by vitamin salesmen .:hehe: :

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll second Andy's recommendation of Glucosamine. It's helped me. I mentioned it to my doctor, and he said that while there are no definitive studies (yet?), he said there is a wealth of anecdotal evidence that it is very helpful.

--Bill

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Works on other joints too

Also, most of the better suplements contain condroitin sulphate too in combination.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I've ordered some it should be here this week. I'll report if it works

·
Registered
294 Posts
Malcom You wont notice anything for at least

a month ,so do keep on taking it .
Holland and barret the health food store often has it on special prices ,dont know if they have branches that far North .

·
Registered
886 Posts
The arrogance of the city dwellers.

There is a shop in Inverness and Elgin. Life does not stop at Watford.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry

I ,cant get into a Morrisons supermarket down here ,and they have a great wine range or so i'm told .
Its just when I,m out in the sticks I dont often look for healthfood stores .
BTW dont think theres been any more bids for the silkcuts so what sizes and I assume youd like doubles??

·
Registered
886 Posts
Just jesting Andy, the Silk cuts have had a recent rush on them I might have to snipe on Sunday

1 - 20 of 22 Posts