Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried one of these out this morning. Bearing in mind that I haven't thrown anything over a 52 foot head in about 11 months, I was blown away. It was the 624 grain line and I was throwing it on the CND 14'3" solstice. I can't believe some folks are throwing the 7/8 xlt, or even the 6/7 xlt on this rod after using the 624 grain 78 foot line.

I only lasted about 2 hours before my short head flaws started to show up, and by the 2 hour 20 minute mark I was having trouble with the now unfamiliar forward stroke only nailing about 30 percent of my casts. but while I was fresh I was throwing the head and easily shooting about 20 feet with a single spey, which along with the leader was crossing the river. You know those times when you cringe as you watch the fly sail towards the alders? :hihi:

Bottom line is this line wants to fly in a tight loop. Feels wonderful in the hand compared to all the "slickshooter" "wonderline" type lines. Great taper. Man, I can't wait till the long line chops return. Great line and a great combo with the 7/8 solstice.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Philster,

I have been playing with these lines since the Sandy Clave - they are awesome! Just yesterday I was out with the 13'4, and 15'3" Solstices and the lines.

I have found that the 624 grain line is sweet on the 13'4"- the combination produced effortless casts well out beyond the 78' belly and when I really pushed it I was managinging about 30' of the running line on the shoot - I finally have a long belly line for the 13'4". This is now my Bulkley set-up!

I used the 640 grain line on the 15'2" Solstice - again - a fantastic match! This combo will be my big-water summer rod for the mainstem Skeena, Clearwater and even early season Thompson (if ther ever is another Thompson early season...). While I didn't take the 14'3" along yesterday it has been my experience that the 14'3" and 15'2" rods perform well with the same lines. I will have to try the 624 gr line on the two bigger Solstices. I imagine they will work rather well - as the grain weights not significantly different.

I really like these lines and for my summer/fall fishing they will get alot of work! Well done Aaron.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Are these being sold on his online site? I just looked and could not find anything. Maybe someone could post a link?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the first run of lines are decent . Is there room for improvement? You bet! The chopping and splicing has began and proto # 3 11/12 long belly floater is on its way to the boss. It seems to have stretched out a bit and gained a few grains but man does this sucker fly. I almost didn't have a reel big enough, thanks Sean. :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Where can one purchase these lines and what wt's do they come in? AKA which one would work on Meisers 15' 7/8 Highlander
Mike

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
swingndeep said:
Where can one purchase these lines and what wt's do they come in? AKA which one would work on Meisers 15' 7/8 Highlander
Mike
http://www.speyshop.com/channels/store/2004/1098899381/index.shtm are the hours and phone number. I hope I didn't jump the gun and cause Aaron any trouble, but the line I got was professionally packaged for retail, so I assume they are available. No question Aaron will be able to tell you which line will match up with your Meiser.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The lines are put out by new sponsor Beulah USA based in Medford , OR. Aaron and crew have been helping develop new tapers and tweak existing ones. You can get them direct from Beulah or Aaron's shop.

-sean

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are these the same lines being offered on E**y under Beulahrods or something different?

Will

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Same ones. Looks like Beulah uses ebay to sell them. Not all are avail there so contact Aaron to find out how to get a hold of the others.

-sean

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone have a grain weight/head length/taper data/sink rate for the Beulah WF 10-I Salmon Taper Inter.

Will

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beulah Inc

My name is Chic Parsons, the founder of Beulah Inc USA. I probably have the biggest balls of all as I took in all the information I had access to (far less than you may think), built lines with the help of some friends and threw them to the lions. I tried to get Aaron to take the blame, however, Aaron and his crew very quickly and adeptly found some flaws :tsk_tsk:. Basically, I took it like a man and started the dumping on eBay :mad:. I wrote much of the stock off and basically I was foiled again :( , or was I. I have lived long enough to see many bad things turn good. After dumping these lines for a period of 4-5 weeks you would think I could feed the poor, stop aids and bring peace to the middle East. Getting lines in the hands of as many people possible, world wide, was the best thing that could possibly happen. For many, many people, the lines allowed their rods to function as they never had before (in a fishing environment not the parking lot) and it was the best lines they have ever fished period :). Not only that, many people started getting to the heart of the matter and started the fine work with the scalpel and glue, which will allow me to advance the design to the next level. The truth is the long belly allowed a lot of people to fine tune the grain weight to load their particular rod. And for the majority of people that purchased the lines (the common fisheman), at 70' they are in heaven :) . So there is hope in the Beulah camp :eek: . Not so much from what I bring to the table (balls and a wallet), but from the collective effort of a lot of individuals that are dedicated to the advancement of the sport of two handed presentation. You spey people are a tight group and I appreciate your help. Chic Parsons, Beulahusa

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey Chic...

Welcome to Spey Pages!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
`the common fisherman'

not intending to pizzzz anyone off,although i have many times in the past :Eyecrazy: ,but,,,most folks don't,or won't lay out the bucks for `spey' tackle that i know,what ARE these lines? :confused:

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Are we having fun yet?

Guys,
I am glad that Chic piped up here. These lines are his baby.
:roll:
We have been improving the lines at very fast pace trying to get the performance that I demand of Product.
It was not the lines were bad I felt that they could be a lot better and subsequently got Chic to hold off so on them so we could give them a good going through.
:confused:
We have and the lines on the Try rack and in the hands of many of the Northwest Premier Speycasters for some time.
Taking this information into account we are incorporating their suggestions and still tuning, tweaking and having a ball.
We hope to have a very very good long line in a short time.
This has sparked quite a bit of interest in the Clan and the Day on the River group.
:D
Now we have other lines under devolvement out of the same base stock.
:cool:

It is amazing what you can come up with when every Saturday you have from 10 to 25 caster working on a product.
When the lines are ready I will be working with Chic on a Announcement.
I must admit this is one of the funniest projects that I have had in Long time.
:)
Aaron

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If these are going to be improved, all I can say is Yikes! I am not one "of the Northwest Premier Speycasters" but this line was a pleasure to use. It shoots, for me, more easily than other longbellies I have used, most likely because I was able to more consistently throw a nice tight loop with no belly drop. I have never been restricted on shooting distance by the width of the river before :D

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Philster,

Once again, I am with you on this sentiment - I have found very little to "improve" with the Proto lines I was given - in fact at first I considered that they were "on the market" and recommended them to friends and some CND customers! I am curious to see how they may have been "improved".

Further to my comments about the 14'3" Solstice and these lines from the start of this thread - last night I took the 14'3" out with both the 624 and 740 grain lines. While the 624 worked well enough - the 740 was considerably better. The 624 is just a little light and when I was reaching for distance the power of the tip was pushing the line down toward the water, with the heavier line this did not happen. Plus, the extra grains just made for a more effortless load.

If you get a chance try the 740 gr line on the 14'3". As I said the 624 gr is a great match for the 13'4" Solstice.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Good on ya Chic....You got them in the right camp with Aaron's boys.

Sounds to me like you may ultimatly end up with a couple specific tapers benched from the original long belly tapers.....A good thing ....};^)...!!!!

Chick also has a camp working on a series of shooting heads.

I'm sure we'll hear more about these in the near future.

The one's I tried were freaking awesome.

Cool stuff......Meiz

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
hEY mEIZ...

You've got mail. :smokin:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
My Bad!

:eek: As I was changing the lines on a reel in preparation for some fishing I noticed that the line I had been casting yesterday on the 14'3" Solstice was in fact the 740 gr line not 640gr! Sorry for the confusion.

Now I will need to try the 650 gr version!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts