Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another thread, I had an operation on my right foot and won't be doing any fishing for a couple more months. So I have been playing around dreaming up some simple trout spey fly patterns.

For lack of a better idea, I am calling this style a Speybrush (I suppose I should have googled to see if the fly name is already "taken", but must confess I didn't bother). Anyway, they are a simple idea, a two part body with no tail. The rear half of the body is simple braid, wire, etc. The front half of the body is dubbing with a soft hackle feather palmered through it. Some have a couple turns of another hackle at the shoulder. Then finish it off with a small head.

Hope you like the concept!

The photos are kind of mediocre, I've got to get a simple set up for that so I can control the end product better. Also, my little old point-and-shoot is not the best. But I think you'll be able to get the idea OK.

Comments/critique welcome!

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't think "spey brush" is taken. But basically they are a simple spider pattern tied in the round. These will catch fish, no doubt. They look great.

·
Banned
879 Posts
Brookie, those should hunt just fine.
I too have been experimenting with different flies after having orthopaedic surgery on the right foot and having to lay low for a couple months. Great minds think alike...;)

·
Registered
895 Posts
Great ties! Love the simple concept and the name!!

Knee surgery a while back is what got me into tying again after a long hiatus. I was only laid up for about a week and a half though!

Good luck with the foot, and tie up some more for us- you apparently will have some time on your hands! At least it's not prime fishing season! :hihi:

All the Best to You,

-Bill

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm diggin the orange and purple one. Nice concept. I'm gonna tie up some like that. What size hook are you tying these on?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick,
Here is the recipe for that one:

Hook: TNC 200R size 6
Tag: copper flashabou wrapped as a tinsel
Body: rear half - blue holographic flashabou wrapped as a tinsel (purple would look great too, but this was actually blue despite the photo)
Rib: black fine wire
Body: forward half - black dubbing, next time I am going to use a UV black
Hackle: black hen over dubbed portion of body - it would be good to extend the wire rib over the hackle for durability, but it looks like I didn't on this one
Collar hackle: Whiting Coq de Leon hen dyed orange - any orange mottled hackle would do equally as well

Hope that helps,
Brookie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts