Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simon,

I recently purchased several Guideline heads from Sweden at great expense and when I looked at the box, it said they were made by Rio here in the USA. These are great shooting heads with aggressive tapers. At 44 feet, they follow the same taper as the WC without the 10 foot level section behind the tip. They follow the same weights as the Rio Scan heads, but the Scan heads have a radically different profile with the fat section in the middle or at the tip. I have already tried several of the Scan heads and it is really a different type of casting head compared to Guideline. I still plan to buy the heaviest, fattest Scan head for my own use as I may find that I like the profile over time and I am your basic line junky. But I have a feeling I am going to prefer the guideline heads. Why can't we purchase those heads here in the US if they are made here?

Thanks,

Matt burke

Attachments

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Matt

You are one observant guy!

The Guideline shooting heads were a project for our old Scandinavian distributor. Like any OEM project these heads are designed by the experts at that company for their particular market. It is not possible to get those heads here as they are made to order for Guideline and we ship all we make to them.

When we came to make our own Scandos we tried out these lines (along with others we make) and adjusted until they did what Jim and I wanted.

The fat bit in the middle is essential to compensate for the thinner sinking tips. Without the "fat bit" the sinking tips kick when cast, particularly with an overhead cast. The fat bit at the front is for turning over big flies and into wind on the floating heads. Again, without this the casting perfomance is greatly reduced in these conditions. The Guideline heads wil cast better with small flies and in relatively calm conditions, but we designed the lines for typical steelhead fishing!

Some will like it, some won't, but that is the fun of line design!!

All the best
Simon

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Simon,

I had thought it must have been an international patent thing. I understand the theory behind the floating Scan head profile and that is why I'll be getting one. Hopefully what you and Jim want is what I want, to catch hundreds of Steelhead. When you come to the Kaufmann Spey days this year, maybe we can hook up between demo's and you can show me how you toss the Scan head. I believe for me it is just a technique problem. For instance, when throwing a WC, Delta Long, Grand Spey or XLT, they all have their own characteristics and each line needs it's own little tweaks to perform correctly during and after the cast.

Thanks again Simon,

Matt Burke

·
Registered
22 Posts
RIO Scandinavian spey line shooting heads

Hi

For the past 2 years, I have bin using the Guideline Powertaper shooting head #8-9 F/SI, but I would like to try a RIO Scandinavian shooting heads in the versi-tip version, but what class of line should I buy when it has to be about 36-37 feet long and the weight should be App. 27g ??

Best regards Torben Ibsen Denmark :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ibsen,

Here is some Data on the rio heads that may help. Do you have weight data on the UNCUT 9/10, 10/11 or 11/12 guideline power taper heads? My 11/12's are around 840gns. 10/11's are around 725 gns and 9/10's are around 660 gns. Is that right?

Matt Burke

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I do believe that Simon will be away from the office for the next 3 weeks - so he may or may not respond for a while.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No he answered me. Hope I catch up to you again soon on the river Tyler. Having a blast with these guideline heads and the Skagit rod. Dying to play with the SA heads when they come out.

Matt Burke

·
Registered
128 Posts
Rio scan specs

Does anyone have specifications about the heavier scandinavian heads than the 8/9? I would be very interesting since I haven't met a head that fould fit my 15'GLX perfectly.

Nor have I been able to find enough heavy DT-lines to make my own. DT12 is nowhere nere. Guideline heads would work but they are expensive. Should get DT15&14 F & I, DT14&13 S & FS and DT 13 UFS, for example. But these are nowhere to be found. And of course, they should be slight seconds so it wouldn't be too expensive to get those and make thousands of heads :eyecrazy:.
Of course, I'd be very glad if someone could tell me where to find the lines mentioned above (hopeless I think). Levels could also be usable.

mattzoid,
Is powertaper 11/12 really that heavy, I thought that the Guideline's web-pages' specifications' heaviest number ment uncut, but it would only be 740,7gr according to those... weird.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi SMS.
I have and use a RIO SSH in 11/12w in both floating and intermediate tip.
The weight for the full uncut head is 845g.
What would you like to know, other than they are fantastic and eat the wind, I am using mine in the saltwater on the ocean shore.
Kind regards.
Barry.
I am a Talon and RIO retailer in Australia.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sms- No those are accurate weights according to my digital scale. Maybe gravity is stronger on this side of the planet. Here is some more data on those heavier scan heads.

Matt Burke

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Matt.

I do believe you about the powertaper weight. It's just funny if Guideline bothers to put weight info on their pages, why don't they do it properly?

Well, they say weight cut to fit a rod but since it is in a form of XXg - XXg, I would think it would be wise to mention that the higher number doesn't stand for max but a max recommended weight.

Thanks for the RIO specs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts