Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few people have asked me to review all of the major Spey videos, but I thought it would be more fun (and less work for me) if everyone did so and posted them here, then I would link from the Spey Pages. Here are some guidelines:

1. you have to have seen at least 3 different Spey videos
2. you have to discuss the highlights of each
3. you have to indicate how each video improved your casting (or didn't help at all)
4. you have to indicate what skill level the video targets
5. you can rank them (optional)
6. anythings else that seems worthwhile

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Since you're going to link them from the pages, I think people are a little gun shy! :p

I've seen at least three and the general synopsis is:

1) first Rio video - somewhat inspiring but useless for learning
- highlights
Let me get back to you on that one
- lowlights
More of a friend to friend talk than instruction
- only slightly improved my casting due to visual queues
- target skill level: beginner, but not in a useful way
- rating (1-10): 5

2) Simon's video - quite instructional and useful for learning
- highlights
Excellent progression from basic rules to advanced casts
Camera angles were excellent showing full casts after
explanations
Covered a broad range of casts
Coverage of different styles including underhand and
single hand was cool
- lowlights
A bit brief with each cast, perhaps the time for underhand
and single hand could have been used to provide more
detail in core spey technique "nuances"
- improved my casting specifically by using vcr slow-down to
view frame by frame on the well-filmed casting sequences
- target skill level: beginner but with value to all viewers
- rating: 8 (there is no 10)

3) Derek Brown video -
- highlights
Introduced a number of important concepts throughout
E.g: his initial swing exercise is very useful for use as a
teaching tool for beginners
I liked the progression thru topics he used
- lowlights
Did not include newer casts from the pacific northwest
Could have applied the initial concepts throughout more
- improved my casting by introduction of foundation concepts
I saw this at an early stage in my learning curve
- target skill level: beginner but with value to all
- rating: 8

Of course this is all subjective - if I saw the same video at different stages of my learning curve I would respond differently, etc.

Anyway, not sure if that's speypage link material but FWIW!

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Mike Maxwell's Spey Casting and Fishing video was the first one I saw, and it was about 2 months after I began spey casting. Mike is also a bit tedious in his explanations.

Highs: great info on how to fish with a 2-hander and the advantages a 2-hander provides.

Lows: all the bobbing back and forth of the body and the upper hand right down touching the reel seemed and is a very inefficient way to spey cast.

Usefullness: not very high.

Rating: 2 out of 10.

The second spey video I got was Jim Vincent's (RIO) first one. It was overall a lot better than Maxwell's; however, untill I played the tape in slow motion, it could not really see what Jim was doing except for the switch cast that he and the other fellow did on a lake. After I played the tape on slow motion a few times to see what was happening, I played it at normal speed to hear Jim's exlplanations. The tape then became useful and I learned quite a bit.

Highs: The beautiful scenary were it was shot, and if you play it slow motion, you can actually gain quite a bit of info provided you already know something about casting dynamics with a fly line. Also, the clear showing and explanation of the basic switch cast and the importance of a good "D" loop.

Lows: Hard to see what was going on until you played it slow motion on the river casting sequences. Camera angles were not conducive to showing the casts for instructional purposes, except for the on lake switch casting from a dock.

Rating: 5 out of 10

The third and final video I saw was the RIO International Spey Casting that Jim Vincent did with Simon and a fellow from Norway. Great camera angles that clearly show what is going on with the line all the way throughout each cast on the video. Simon's excellent explanations and on-water, stop-action teaching sequences are superb. Simon's single-hand spey casting instruction was also excellent. The fishing sequences showing the casts in use in a gorgeous setting.

Highs: Simon's clear and concise explanations. Camera angles that let you see what is going on. Simon's stop-action casting with explanation. The single-hand spey casting instruction. Simon showing what happens when you do not execute the casting motions correctly.

Lows: Overhand casting sequences with the Norwegian were not clear at all regarding why he does it the way he does. And the underhand casting instruction left something to be desired leaving one without a clear understanding of how to do an underhand cast.

Rating: 8 out or 10 and it has something in it for nearly any spey caster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts