Spey Pages banner

How do you spend your spey time, and why?

• Most time is spent casting, to refine skills

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • Most time is spent casting, because no fishing waters nearby

Votes: 13 10.1%
  • already satisfied with casting. Let's go fishing!

Votes: 38 29.5%
  • uh, that sort of looked like a cast. Lets go fishing!

Votes: 51 39.5%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be various reasons why people spend the time they do with spey rods. Practice to either to master or refine techniques by desire, or out of necessity because fishing waters aren't nearby. Some people just want to fish! Where do you fall out?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
generally

any time i'm afoot i `spey',mostly poking around my home river here looking for signs of a `bulge' of fish showing up;a signal to get the boat ready :D ,this last year has been quite different from years past in terms of run timing/numbers of fish,i'll not elaborate there,but i do love to just go out and `fish it',stomping downriver, big rod with unbelievable capabilities forcing me to step up and try and use what the rod has,to come to terms with the whole of the challenge of fishing the fly here;tying your own flies,leaders,yes,the cut up lines go right along with it,and when a decent fish bends your rod in half,nobody around,and you release the fish=even better!,,DAM-!,i have to go!, made a mistake yesterday;when out bouncing bait for chinook same deal; poking around,it was not fun! :( ,hmmmmlet'seee couple hours before dark=bye!,,oh,,thanks for reminding me about what's important! :hihi:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,edit=gee i didn't realize it was apole,a pole,,,how about,;my casting will always be needing work but it's good enough to get out to the fish ;)

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
My home water has sporadic fishing, so there's a lot of casting time and some serious fishing time. The long hours spent casting has done a couple of things for me; it has become a zen-like meditation for me and a major escape and release from daily life, and it has become, as John Gierach said of his bamboo rods, "one small expensive corner of my life I've reserved for real quality" [para]. And as I've told my wife, one new Harley would be a lot more than all this, although as I progress through the better rods and reels that is becoming less and less true.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
If I am practicing then I am not fishing. I practice to get better skills and I fish to catch fish. They do not mix well with each other for me.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I choose not to choose

One day this spring, I was working down a broad run on the Skagit with my 16' Alltmor (see "Rods"). My casting was a little more in the groove than usual, and I launched a few 120-footers (yeah, I'm sure: marked line). But not every time. While unwinding myself from a suddenly malevolent D-loop, I notice two of my buds grinning on the bar behind me. "Are you fishing, or practicing?" one asked. To which I answered, "Why can't I do both?"

·
Registered
344 Posts
I didn't vote because I didn't see an answer that fits...

I cast to fish better, and because it's fun. But were it not for the fish, I wouldn't cast, spey or otherwise.

To answer more fully, when fishing I usually use the casts I'm best at (don't laugh, Steve, having seen me fish recently), but when practicing, I focus on problems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I generally try to separate my practice sessions from my fishing. When fishing I try to give my full attention to the fly and making it swim the way I think it should based on the conditions of the day. Then there are those days when my casting goes to crap while fishing for no good reason and it becomes a practice session to iron things out. :roll:

·
Registered
630 Posts
I sorta missed the whole point I guess!!!! So, since the casting pond is at the back door I tend to get alot more casting in then fishing except when the bass take down my yarn on the retrieve, sometimes they don't let go.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I see that the question wasn't phrased clearly. There's only 15% response, but a surprisingly even split among answers.

Maybe we can "poke" this poll to salvage it.

ok. In terms of the HOURS you spend weekly with a spey rod in your hand, are most of them spent casting for practice / fun in non-fishing situations, or do you spend most of your hours in fishing situations?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
by example:

Those training for THCI are out there practicing several hours a day, to improve.

Others spend a lot of hours practicing, not by choice, but because they live in Oklahoma (or UTAH!). If they lived 1 hr from steel, they'd be fishing, not practicing on a lake.

Others are satisfied with their casting, and fish with little thought of improving casting.

Others aren't satisfied with their casting, but they still mostly fish instead of practice. They prefer the poor odds of a grab to the excellent odds that practice makes perfect.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Ahhhh, I am a little slow. I spend more time casting than fishing.
I used to be the exact opposite.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I spend more time casting than fishing.

I have friends that cast with yarn tied on instead of a fly. I won't go that far as even in the worst conditions and in the doldrums between runs I hold out hope, but I still know I'm out casting and not really fishing.

Forgive us steve if we wander from the point. Perhaps we've rewired too many of the brain synapses to casting thought and motion :hihi:

When folks wonder how I developed adult Attention Deficit Disorder I just tell them I'm a Speycaster.
"Oh, well, then, that explains everything" ;)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Habit That Is Hard To Break

Preparing for the THCI, I establilshed a rountine to refine, develop and set muscule memory. I went through this long dark hallway called "Preparing for the THCI Test". Opening the door (passing the THCI) I saw another hallway with a door at the other end. The following Monday mornin' found myself on the gravel bar starting one more journey down another hallway with a door called "Master all styles" of spey casting. BUT NOW, I must go through 12 step casters' program and remember casting is for FISHING.

That's right ---casting is for fishing!!! I think I remember that.

Klem
FFF Certified THCI & CI
President NSSC
3-E' Fly Fishing School

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Both one an two pertain to me- no place to fish close but I have a lake about 5 minutes away so I try to get out there when work does not interfere.

I have always enjoyed casting for casting sake (I like fishing more!!) and when I took up the two handed rod this became even more fun! So when I can't fish I still like to cast

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
June through the end of April - fishing 99% of the time and my casting probably shows it

May -- practice 100%

·
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club
387 Posts
I don't cast unless there is something to cast for.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I go regularly just to practice.
I find that my fishing has improved enormously, because my casting has become more controllable, and effortless.
Even during the close season (Winter) I found myself going to the water just to practice 3-4 times weekly.
When the season opened again in March, I was right up to speed as opposed to other years where I was rusty.
When I went for my first Spey instruction last year, I just got bit by the bug.
I`ve since had instruction in various other casts, and I just enjoy an hour on the water flicking them all around.
I use an 18` B&W and an XLT line, and I`m as happy as a pig in muck.

Cascade.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
only 6 miles

to the Rogue and that's not near enough for me,but everybody has problems like that=right? ;)

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Ok because sometimes you just need a little controversy on the site :D

I believe that to try and practice and fish at the same time does a disservice to both. While you might be getting some benefit from the casting practice, in most instances if you are focused on your casting, you're not fishing effectively. To one extent of the other, we all get seduced into the distance game and how many times have you seen someone walk into a run and start throwing for the far bank when the fishing slot is 50' out? Is it possible to practice your 50' casts? Sure but how many people do it?

I'm not saying not to practice. I feel practice time is important and makes you both a better caster and can make you a better fisherman. I for one don't practice enough and could certainly benefit from more time working on specific casts. I am concerned though that if you try to practice and fish at the same time, it is very difficult to do either well.

Ok, I'm getting into the suit of armor so let the arrows fly :devil:

·
Registered
713 Posts
Since my life is a rat race right now, when I have time to cast it's at fish. So I guess I do both because I don't have time to do one or the other. :D
Mike

1 - 20 of 37 Posts