Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must comment as I read all the posts about you folks on the West Coast and PNW where you have such tremendous exposure to the great resources of equipment and the knowledge and expertise of the many "MASTERS of SPEY" in your areas. We have over here in GL Basin some very good sport shops; however, most that I visit are not "into" the 2 handed rods. Several just try to shoot from the hip with suggestions as to what to buy as they can order a 2 handed rig for their customers. I am awe struck to read of the many Spey Claves attended by so many top-notch instructors in your areas and the wealth of information the attendees can come away with. Now, that being said, have any of you folks who are proprietors of a Spey Shop given any thought to maybe setting up a Satellite Shop over here in the GL Basin? I could suggest an area like Grand Rapids, MI as being one of the best (IMHO) areas to reside that I have ever experienced. It is teeming with small and large business entities as well. There are other areas in GL Basin as well as GR where a Spey Shop could be set up and flourish as well. You see, most of us just have to "scratch our butts" as we try to work out our problems and try to become proficient on our casts and other areas. We need more shops to let us "Play touch" with different rods, reels, lines, etc. Also for many of us to get some GOOD one-on-one instruction. I cannot speak for the other folks who have been "bitten" by the Spey Bug; however, I'm guessing many others would also favor having a good, dedicated Spey Shop in our area. This is not meant in any way to slight the many good sport shops we already have throughout the GL Basin. Most of you know that one can get only so much from reading books and watching video productions (they are very good); however, they are limited. I have gained from both as well as the tremendous teaching materials seen on this, Dana's, W/S. I truly believe there is a viable opportunity over here for a quality Spey Shop. Any thoughts? Best, Stiver

·
Registered
237 Posts
Try Mike at Red Shed

Living here in the Denver metro area is not exactly a mecca for spey info either, so I contacted Mike at Red Shed. He has sent me a ton of stuff to try with no expectation other than I pay the return postage. He is very knowledgeable and will answer your questions or find out what the answer is if he doesn't happen to know it off the top of his head. I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Best
John

·
Banned
974 Posts
Even here in Chicago we are Spey deprived. All of the shops can order spey rods but only a couple have a few rods in stock, usually from just one rod maker. WI has even less choice. Hands on comparison shopping is not an option. In addition, DVD's and books on Spey Casting are not stocked. I am expecting an order of from an out of state shop (Red Shed) of book/DVD.

MJC at the Red Shed Fly Shop has sent me products to try as well. I agree that it would be nice to have a shop that really supports spey in the Lake Michigan basin. Most of us would drive a far distance to visit such a shop.

IMHO,
David Dornblaser

·
Registered
42 Posts
Spey rods in Michigan

Great Lakes Fly Fishing Co. in Rockford Michigan have had discussions of picking up the new line of Loomis double handed rods, which includes 3 different blank characteristics for the different casting styles - "greased line" for traditional style, "Stinger" for underhand style and "dredger" for skagit style. I am a member of the Loomis pro staff and I am currently in discussions with Glen Blackwood to pick up the Loomis line. With my affiliation with his shop I would be happy to help any one with sugestions or advice regarding their double handed rod needs. The new Loomis rods are fantastic and a "must try" if you're in the market for a new one. Please contact myself or Glen if you have interest in any Loomis rods.

Pete Humphreys

Grand Rapids, Michigan.

My daytime email is [email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey David,

If you're coming up for the Spey Clave this weekend in Newaygo, we will have the full line of Loomis rods available for you to try. Look me up if you come into town.

Thanks,

Pete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.