Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from scotland and have spoken to several gillies all of whom suggest that if I am to buy a spey rod, then the Bruce and Walker Norway Speycaster 15' #10-11 is the only rod you will need. Dont buy anything more expensive unless you really want to.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
B&W Norway 10/11

Let us know what you think of the rod after you have learned to cast and fish with it. We don't see many B&W's on this side of the pond.:chuckle:

JD

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'd also recommend you contact "Willie Gunn" aka

Dr. Malcom Newbold as he's in Banff, Scotland. Who better to give you top end advice?
fae

·
Registered
886 Posts
I would agree with the advice you already have, Bruce & Walker 15 Norway 10/11 for most conditions. If you plan to fish spring /autumn in heavy water think about the 16'

Mind you the Tay is a big river once you have mastered the little rods you could try the B&W 18' a big rod for big rivers.

Malcolm

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Bruce & Walker rods.

I have just purchased a B&W Kola 15'3" rod from Aaron at the Spey Shop in Carnation, WA. The rod has two tips - a 9/10 and an 11. The 9/10 handles a 8/9 XLT with ease. I have not fished sink tips with the 11. I took it to the river a number if times and cast it during the numerous spey claves. Anyone on this side of the pond who is interested in B&W rods should contact Aaron at the the Spey Shop. He is one of the sponsors of this site.

Link to Aaron's B&W page http://www.speyshop.com/bruce.htm

Rich

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Spey shop

Cool. Is Aaron going to bring some of these B&W rods to the Sandy Clave?

·
Registered
11 Posts
B+W Norway #10/11

Hi,

I have been using the B+W Norway #10/11 for a few months now and have tried it out with various lines.

Overall, my impression is that it is a very powerful rod, strong in the butt with a through middle to tip action which provides a nice, fast post-cast recovery. It is very easy to over-power and is I find it is better to slow down and caress it into action.

I use it mainly with a #10/11 Mid-Spey with tips and have already had a coupe of nice sea-trout on big tubes + fastest sinking tip. The heavier grain 65' Mid-Spey, especially with heavy tips, appears to suit the rod well and 100 ft casts are quite facile with this combination.

B+W say the weight of the rod varies as they are hand made and finished but is of the order of 10 1/2 oz (I think its is a wee bit heavier than this).

All the casts I have tried , single, double, snake, snap work well - especially with wth much under-rated Wulff Spey #11 full floater.

Cheers,

Tam

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
JD

I will have my B&W Kola at the Sandy. You are welcome to give it a try. I don't know what Aarons's plans are.

Rich

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Huck:

I tried one of Aaron's 15-foot 9/10 Norway Spaycasters in January. I was favorably impressed with its user-friendly medium action (I was using my custom-spliced 9/10 long belly line). If the 10/11 version is just a bit more powerful, it should be an excellent all-around rod for big flies and big water -- that is, if you prefer long belly or double taper lines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts