Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its interesting reading all the comments on Spey rods here in the USA, the makes seem completely different from Scotland where I'm from.
In Scotland I would guess the three most popular Spey rod manufacturers would be Bruce & Walker, Diawa (made in the Scottish factory) and Hardy.
My own favourite is the Diawa Altmor with the Bruce and Walker Powerlite Deluxe a close second.
I moved across from Scotland last year and am looking forward to trying some of the other US makes. Fishing tackle here is much cheaper than in the UK as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
New generation

I think Hardy, B&W and Daiwa "were" the top 3 UK Mfgs of Spey rods for years. Personally I think things are changing. New rods are coming onto the market, more and more different, lesser known Mfgs are now making Spey rods and with the likes of Sportfish and other large retail outlets stocking all brand names, more and more American rods are being purchased.

I for one changed from B&W and Daiwa to Loomis and T&T. I've now just recently purchased a Ron Thompson 13ft..... and for 60 UK pounds you won't buy another rod as good, or even close.

I think the Rod reviews in the T&S have opened people's eyes to the range of Spey rods available to buy, and it's NOT always the most expensive that's best. Infact, for the average caster, buying a rod in excess of 300 Uk pounds is a waste of money. You're just paying for the name!

As for Sage, not in the same league as other Mfgs of Spey rods....IMO.

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Clansman,

Is there a sense of national pride among the Scottish Anglers about the 2 handed technique being called "Spey"? As in Spey rod, Spey cast, etc.

I think the Scots on this side are quite proud of their heritage and fly fishing ranks high among Scottish attributes.

N I

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
flyfishing and fly tying

i've had that for awhile,online,,,,sounds like T-S,,would be great,,the need for `shootout's',,or castout's,,would certainly make it easier for buyer's to distinguish what lines to buy for rod,i've stated this before,almost every other sport i've been involved with has comparasons ,i do remember an article on entry level rods years back,one rod stood out as the `cannon',certainly the maufacturerer benefited from this,seems everone's looking for something slightly different in these rods,,,as for me,all but two rods i own are from U.K.,of course the first two i bought here,for me the rods from U.K. turn me on!,,of course i've run motorbike's from U.K.,autos,so `going there' to source tackle is part of the fun,the one thing that got to me here;you go into a shop;they won't even let you pick up a longrod,and,most only have one!,even on the water people act like they're sacred,,i've always tried to hand rods to people,to pass the word so to speak,they might like them,and throw their stupid worms away!,,certainly i'm planning a trip to U.K,,i simply MUST see Scottland:hehe:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: New generation

[QUOTE
I for one changed from B&W and Daiwa to Loomis and T&T. I've now just recently purchased a Ron Thompson 13ft..... and for 60 UK pounds you won't buy another rod as good, or even close.

[/QUOTE]

I also recently purchased a Ron Thompson 15' on the strength of the T&S review of a selection of 15' rods.

It smashed in my hands within the first 1 1/2 hours... will not be buying another Thompson:eek:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hammer, Scotland

Hammer,

If you come to Scotland, remember to pack a trout rod 9' to 11', rated 6 to 8, with a floating and intermediate line. It would be a shame to travel to the north of Scotland and not sample trout/salmon fishing on a remote hill loch system. It truely is unique; perhaps I am biased.

It also gives you a second option if the conditions for Salmon or Sea Trout are not favourable.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Hammer...

the one thing that got to me here;you go into a shop;they won't even let you pick up a longrod,and,most only have one!,
You need to get out of Dodge and get to the Red Shed, I will let you jiggle, wiggle, wave, waggle, deflect, bend, and cast all of my rods, in the yard or on the water. If that don't satisfy you, on the way home stop off at Aaron's. He has even more rods and a lot more spey rod/casting knowledge. Then you can visit Sparky at Kaufmann's. I'm sure Dennis and Sparky have more than one rod. If you've got any energy left hit Bachmann's on the way home. Last time I checked he had 16+ models. I've never been to his shop but I'll bet he'll let you handle them all. By the time you make this little round you won't have the energy to swing that 18 footer you like so well. :whoa: Take care, MJC:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i've got 14

at least of the `devil's rods',and i'm going for more,why;because i can buy ALL iWANT for realistic prices,like brooklyn angler's rod,the guy had four,,,one i could have had for 90 pounds, about 160Dollars,i've certainly paid much more for specific rods that i HAD to have ,i don't know of ANY 18 ft rods here for this amount of money,or any amount of money!???,i'm still waiting for a twenty ft. H of H to stick it's head up,i know of two in the world,,,,i'll get one,,did i say one!?,hahahahaaaaa,,,MJC,my wife keeps talking about visiting her old school chum in Id.,,it'll happen!,Gary W;;do the salmon and trout not inhabit the same river's,?,here,the river has all age classes of salmon and searun rainbows,i've tryed to buy a couple of the `amorphous' Daiwa's in that class,11 ft. seven- nine wt.s haven't been able to set the hook YET!!! hmmmm,well ,better go look!yeah!:hehe:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not expect so many replies so quickly. In no particular order:
Spey casting is a big part of salmon fishing in Scotland, and you will encounter a lot of fantastic casters on some of the big rivers, unfortunately I'm not one of them, but I do fish with some that are. One place to see really good casting is on the club waters in Inverness, a lot of very good casters.
There are a lot of new rods on the market and I agree some of the cheaper ones are excellent, I picked up an Airflow quite cheaply which is great on smaller waters. I would still say the big three in Scotland would be Bruce & Walker, Diawa and Hardy, but I agree it is changing. A lot of the really top casters I've come across seem to like Bruce & Walker.
I think a lot of the really good casters would agree that lines are as important as rods, personally I love the Wolff intermediate and the Rio Windcutter floating.
For Spey casting, and articles on spey rods etc I would agree that Trout and Salmon is outstanding, I still subscribe here in the US, the telephone number for subscriptions is 011 44 (0)845 6011 356.
Thanks Clansman.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hammer,

I have the Steelhead Society of BC's 20' Hardy! :smokin:

Are you interested?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hammer,

You do get trout in the same rivers as the Salmon, but what I was saying was - it is a nice fishing experience to fish some of the remote trout lochs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Clansman,
Couple of points, I believe that Diawa rods are finished in Scotland, the blanks being imported, whereas B&W make the blanks in the UK.
I totally agree that some of the best casters in the country fish the town water in Inverness. How long were you a member, since the days when Charlie ruled the McIntyre? I remember incurring his wrath, as a spotty youth, when my line crossed his. I have been a member since 67. Scot McKenzie served his time at the town water before falling out with the club over boards in the Weir.

Fred trout, This is The forum in the World why settle for second best?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Willie Gunn,
I grew up in Inverness, fishing the town water, but moved to Edinburgh as a student in the late 70's, and did not fish for several years. I got back into salmon fishing mainly on the Tay on Newtyle beat,about 7 years ago.
Odd coincidence I was on the Macintyre last Tuesday! Then picked up a couple of salmon and a few sea trout on Crathes on the Dee at the end of the week.
I know Scott quite well, I've fished Ness-side for a week each July, for last few years, before moving across to Boston. I don't know all the details of the issues with the weir, but Scott is a really good guy.
Cheers, Clansman.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Daiwa

Peter-S-C.

I have heard the same rumours that Willie Gunn has, with regards to Daiwa having the majority of their blanks imported and only finished in Scotland.

Incidentally, you may remember a previous thread that included talk of the Daiwa Alltmor S being prone to breakages. I was fishing last week and another angler snapped his Alltmor S, while carring out standard single spey and snake roll casts.

Coincidence, I think not. That is at least 50% of anglers I know with these rods that have snapped them.

He had to borrow a rod from a friend of mine to allow him to fish tomorrow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Peter-s-c,

It is lucky for you that you do not own one; I do.
I have previously snapped it and had the section replaced(still within the one year guarantee). However, I am now outwith the one year guarantee, and I find myself wincing everytime the rod feels slightly stressed.

I am going to build a 13'6" rod at the moment, but once this is finished I will be building a 15' or upward rod to replace/backup the Alltmor S. I have a whisker 16', but the tip just has no ping.

As a sidenote, I have heard no complaints about the previous Alltmor models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Diawa Rods.

I have fished Diawa for about 5 or 6 years and so far none have snapped, I hope I'm not tempting fate!
I have a 15ft Lochmor Z and a 15 ft Altmor S, both of which have been OK. I've landed salmon up to 16lbs on the Altmor and so far no problems.
I'm not a particulalry good caster and I find the Altmor more forgiving of my shortcomings. I also have a 16 ft Bruce and Walker but I tend to only use this on big waters in the Spring with sunk lines.
Clansman.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Hammer, Scotland

Gary W said:

It would be a shame to travel to the north of Scotland and not sample trout/salmon fishing on a remote hill loch system. It truely is unique; perhaps I am biased.
I just got back from a trip to Scotland and I can confirm that Gary is definitely not biased. Loch fishing is fabulous . . . we visited a few remote lochs in Sutherland, where we felt like we were the only people for miles and caught beautiful wild Browns. Scotland is a lovely country and the people are tremendously welcoming. We just had a wonderful time . . . we'll be back next year.

We also salmon fished . . . weather wasn't right and we didn't catch any fish, but our ghillie John did find us fish (we saw them leap and even rise a few times to our fly) . . . but I just couldn't get them to take (low water and bright sun).

As far as rods go, John told me his favorite is Sage, but they're awfully expensive in Scotland. He had a Diawa and he liked my T&T. Others in the local pub recommended Bruce and Walker as the best. One guest I spoke to from the Borders was a big fan of Hardy, but the locals in Sutherland tended to prefer Bruce and Walker to Hardy.

I checked out the selection of rods at Grahams in Inverness and the Hardy's were significantly less expensive than they are in the U.S. (I've never seen Bruce and Walker in the US, so I can't compare prices for those, but Bruce and Walker were less costly than Hardy). The Hardy's were also being offered at 25% off, which tempted me greatly, but we already had spent too much on the airfare and lodging!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts