Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some neat looking rod carriers mounted on a small Sotar cataraft. They had a decal with the name Rod Pod on them. Basically a 3" PVC tube with a slot cut lengthwise down the whole of it except for about 1.5" at each end. There were two different models mounted on either side of the boat. One had straps & snap type buckles to secure the rod. The other had sections of PVC tube slotted the full length & fit over the main tube. The rod being secured in place by rotating the outer tubes.

I have searched the web & bombed. Called Sotar & bombed. Seems the guy who ordered those things, did it on his own, was reimbursed with cash, screwed up somehow, 'cause he got fired shortly after. So there is no paper trail on these things.

I would buy the ones I saw except they are not for sale, unless I buy the cat they are attached to. And they are too short for anything over ten feet in length.

So,,,,Can anyone tell me where I can purchase these things. Or am I going to have to figure out a way to slot some PVC pipe?:(

Alternately, I could use bungee cords to secure a rod to a cat frame. Drift boats, however, because of their shape have their own unique set of problems when it comes to long rods. Usually resulting in the rods hanging out over the transom or the bow. And I'm sure this has been hashed out before. Not really looking to start a new thread on transporting Spey rods down the river. Just looking for leads on Rod Pod(s).

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
JD,
The best setup I ever encountered was on a Bulkely boat run by Jimmy Gadget of Frontier Far West, Colin Schadrech's operation. It was a rack placed behind the front seat that held several Spey rods in a vertical position. Perfect, as long as there are no low bridges or overhanging trees to negotiate.

And, yes it was built by Jimmy, who is known for his creative bent [and incredibly strong hands].

I recommend you call Frontier Far West in Telkwa, BC and talk to Jimmy, assuming he still guides there.
Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.