Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a website or resource that helps with matching reels to rods? Capacity, weight & balance, etc.?

I have a Sage 8126-3, and I'm looking for a compatible reel. I fished a Loop this past fall and found the performance to be outstanding. So, I've been looking at Daniellsson reels, but I am unsure of the proper reel for this rod.

Thanks for ideas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Danielsson LW 8/12 would make a great match for that rod,or any other 9wt and under rod that was less than say 13 /2ft long.It has a really large arbour and is very light weight.I think it's a fantastic reel for the price these days.

The similar size/weight HD would also work well.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
bigger is better

I'm a fan of big reels. 4.50 inch diameter or more. Large arbors. Or build up the small arbors with a lot of backing. I want the rod to balance in my hand as the fly swings. I've even gone so far as to add 30 ft of lead core trolling line under the backing. Even on a rod as short as 12 ft. I know guys that have shoved a bolt up into the bottom end of the rod blank.

All the reel manufacturers list line capacity and like to brag about how light weight their reels are. As if lighter is better. The LW 8/12 or 9/14 will do fine. The HD's are probably overkill, but that wouldn't stop me from using them.

I have a bunch of the old Redington AS 13/14's. They do fine, with a lot of backing and a bit of lead core.:chuckle:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have the Danielsson LW 8-12 on a Meiser 12'6" 678. I'm very happy with it (wouldn't change reels), but I think the balance could be a bit better with a tad heavier reel.

·
Registered
445 Posts
...................phunkysalmon,the quality of the Danielsson reel is top notch. I use an 8/12 on my 12' Vision,it balances well. It's a light rod,I don't know how heavy/light you Sage is. The Danielsson weighs 7.1 oz.,if you have a similiar weight reel with a line weight close to what you're going to use,try it.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
You can always wrap around the spool arbor 1" lead tape adding 1-1.5 oz of weight to the reel, with little effect on the backing capacity.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bigger is better??

...........how about balanced is better? I,to,am a fan of large arbor reels. However,i don't think that heavier is better. If the reel and line weight is heavy enough to keep the rod tip above horizontal on the swing,I'm happy. A foot or so above parallel is good for me,too heavy of a reel makes it a struggle to keep the rod tip down,which is just as bad. Being balanced is a good thing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sage 8126

If it is anything like my Sage 8126, the cork on the forward and the butt handles are too short to my liking. I've been using a Salmon #1 on the rod and it is too light. I find my right hand cramping up after about an hour because the rod tip is dipping down and I am constantly applying pressure to the rod butt in order to keep the tip up. If Sage would extend the forward handle a few more inches it would be of great help!

Henry

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yelostn801 said:
If it is anything like my Sage 8126, the cork on the forward and the butt handles are too short to my liking to keep the tip up. If Sage would extend the forward handle a few more inches it would be of great help!

Henry
Yes! And while they are at it they could turn the d#$m reel seat around as I have been suggesting to them for God knows how long.:confused:

Ramsay

·
Registered
293 Posts
This is something personal you're going to have to figure out for yourself. Obviously some folks like bigger reels, some heavier, some lighter, some like a lot of drag. And it also depends on what kind of line you're going to use - a DT will take up a lot of space on a reel, a skagit next to nothing. I buy my reels just big enough to hold 100-150 yds of 30 lb backing and a windcutter (my favorite line) and try to keep thing simple with a click and pawl Marquis. But you're mileage may differ. You might try buying a used reel for a good price that way if you don't like it you can always trade it out.

I really don't give a hang about reel balance, to a point. Most reels loaded with line and backing run between 9 and 15 oz. I don't really notice a difference because I'm casting with two hands and when I'm swinging the rod is tucked under my arm. So, even if it was unbalanced, the rod can't pivot. So the whole balance issue is pretty irrelevant and I don't notice it. The one thing I do notice is when reels start to get over 15oz. the whole rig feels clunky to me. So for this reason I usually go with reels on the simpler and lighter side.

By the way I'm just the opposite on the grips. I much prefer the shorter grip. I think that an ultra-long grip leads to too wide of a distance between hands which makes a lot of folks tire more quickly beause everything is "stretched out". On my 7141-4, I grab the grip about 6" below the end and get better performance and more difference. Again different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Phenomenal Resource

Thank you so much for all the input. This was the first post I had made, and the sharing of information was fast, helpful, and engaging.

I am sold on this site and the incredible knowledge base available at our fingertips!

Thanks again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts