Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a reasonably priced rod (an oxymoron these days?) in the 11 to 11'6" size range to be used exclusively for some dry line steelie action. I recall reading on an earlier post of something by either Reddington or St. Croix but a quick review of their products produced nada. I think Loomis makes a 11'6" model but it's pretty pricey.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

BFR

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Couple of very important questions here.

What are you fishing for, and what line weight(s) do you need?

Reason I ask is if it's light and lovely, contact Bob Meiser for one of his 5-6 'switch rods.' They are a delight to cast/handle fish in the 'up to' 4-5 pound range in moving water. Something with a bit more 'moxie,' look to his 6-7-8 13 footer; very cool light rod that will easily handle just about any thing you could hook (lets leave king salmon out this ... even though I've drug fall kings up to about 20'ish pounds on to the beach. The others/larger had long since busted off.) Grand all day summer run rod.

If price, and quality is not an issue, take the 6wt 11'3" Redington rod and have the butt section extended a few inches. A grand, all-be-it a 'low end' rod (vis a vis Bob's rods) for light work on smaller rivers.

Sorry if I sound like a 'shill' for Meiser, but I've had the opportunity to REALLY fish several of his rods, and they're a total delight .. and won't bust the bank when you write the check.

fae

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Loomis makes two 11 ft models (a 6 wt and an 8 wt) in their Trilogy Series. Though not cheap, they are less than the 11 1/2 ft GLX. Sage also makes an 11 ft 6 wt., agian it is not cheap. Meiser's rods that Fred mentiioned are also very nice rods at very fair prices.

You could also get a blank and put the rod together yourself for a considerable savings. And this would also open up several possibilities to you that are only available in blank form.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rod will mainly be used as a dry line stick for medium-size rivers for steelies, so I guess it would be about a 6-8 weight. '

I'll take a look at Meiser's rods as well as Loomis and Sage.

BFR

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reddington 1136/7

Does anyone have experience with this rod? It sounds pretty much like what I'm looking for at a very reasonable price. I've never case Reddingtons before--just wondering what they're like and do they make quality stuff?

BFR

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Pricewise, it's a low end rod ... but that said..

Have a rod guy/your self extend the butt section about 4-5 inches and you've got a great 'low priced' short spey rod for summer run work.

Rod, with either the 5-6 WC or a 6wt DT is great for close in work ... up to about 30-40 foot. Byond that, and talk to the BobMeiser about his 6-7-8.
fae

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
BFR,

The Spey section of my site is getting a bunch of new pages, and is not up right now...Should be ready shortly.

I do have 4 rods in the 11'4" length in 5/6 6/7 7/8 and 8/9 wts. all 4 pc. fast/medium fast progressives....Available as blanks/kits/or finished rods.

Most of the guys will use these for detailing in the 60 to 80 ft. range as small to medium size river, dry line rods: Greaseliners, skaters, and dead drifted dries.

Although the 7/8 and 8/9s will present tip systems if needed.....Also (I'm running for cover here) high sticking !

The 7/8~ 8/9s will easily handle fish into the 30 pound range.

Aaron Reimer will have several of these small speys in his shop within the next few days, or if interested I can mail a field rod off for a hands-on try out.

....Thanks for the kind words you guys !

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ah Heck, 'cats out of the bag.'

Great rods... take the trip to Carnation, WA.

It's worth the gas.
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Headed that way

to see what Aaron has. I had hoped to do a little fishing, but the rivers are almost at flood stage again.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the leads, all. With the rivers at flood stage right now it's hard to think about small rods/dry lines, but it's never too late to start dreaming!

BFR

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Yuck! Flood stage again!!

We're still under clear sunny sky's with low water conditions. Weather forcast is interesting though ... predicting snow tonight down to 1500 feet, 2500 feet the day after.

Like Sparky, I could wake up with a snow covered car tomorrow am.
fae

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Snow level 500 ft

thursday night the snow level is supposed to drop to 500 feet near Snoqualmie Pass. Righ now it is snowing with traction advisory. The drop in temperature should start to bring the rivers down. Though, it will take some time for fishable levels.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
At 11:16 this morning we were under sunny skys...

that was then, now is now. About 2pm a few clouds started to roll in to our area, by 3:30 the wind is 'screaming like heck' and the sky is black.

I think our 'balmy weather' has just gone to heck in a hand basket.
:whoa:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't know how much of a hurry you are in, but I know of one company which is well known for the quality of their value-priced rods, ( Hint, hint,) that will have a stick just like what you are looking for in the $ 300 range, very soon.

I think it will be a 12' 6/7 or somesuch......

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
In those lengths I don't think you can do better than Bob Meiser's rods.

However if you find 11' to be on the short side for spey work then it might be worth a look at another sponsor, CND Spey rods. The CND Expert series in 13' 6/7 casts the Windcutter 5/6 like a dream and 13' 8/9 is a 7/8 in Midspey terms. Decades of spey rod design knowledge in every blank. $265 and $295 respectively.

In any case, good luck with your search!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahhh...you guys have the juices flowin! How I long for Summer to return...

Thanks for all the great suggestions. So many great rods, and never enough time. Or money.

BFR

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yep,

Looks like a doozy all up and down the coast.

All of South Medford was without power as of 3:00 PM, and lots of Southbound cars with snow on the roof.

...Winter's here for sure.

Ahhhh..... I'll long for those Robin egg dry line days too BFR, but our rivers sure put on a heck of a show this Summer !

Time to get out the big sticks, head for the Coast and tie on the prawn patterns....I'm thinking those woven body shrimpies that Aaron showed us how to tie are looking pretty good right now !

The cycle continues.

Tight lines...Meiz

·
"Sing"
51 Posts
from Malaysia!!!!

I've been gone for a week. I'm in Malaysia now waiting
to go return to the US Embassy for my green card interview
in an hour.

Whoever posted this thread looking for an 11'+ rod, I suggest
you get a COUPLE from Bob (meiser). That was the last thing I
did before I left LA last week. I sent the two 11'4"rods trial
rods Bob sent me back to the maker, and a check for
two rods (well, a rod and a blank) in a seperate envelope.

And Fred you were right. I bought both of them coz I like
them both! The three piece was so amazing-- light in the
hands, tight loops in the air, and sexy to the eyes.
I fell in love with it instantly.
At the end of a two hour casting, I was in love with the
4 piece as well. So what could I do? I had to have both.

No spey fishing in Malaysia. Well, not yet. I'm coming back
on Sunday. Actually, no spey fishing in LA as well. :(
Bummer.

-Sing

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did anybody ask what river he was going to use the small rod on? Will anyone from up THERE render a guess as to what's going to happen on the Skagit this winter... I'm dreaming of the spring.. Speyhead

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Speyhead,

I live in the Skagit Valley and it has not been fishable since the first flood last month. There is a lot of clay and sand moving through the Skagit dams, the Baker dams, down the Suiattle, and the Sauk that have kept visibility below the Sauk at zero and above the Sauk at about 1 foot or less. The river is flooding again and has crested in Concrete at 31 ft (28 ft is flood stage) and will crest in Mount Vernon aout 11:00 p.m. at about 29 feet (28ft is flood stage; but the dikes will keep the river contained until it gets over 34 ft).

In other words, the Skagit and Sauk do not look like they will be fishable until after the 1st of the year. And that is if we don't get more flooding. At this juncture, I would not be willing to make a prediction about the Skagit system for late winter/spring. You'll have to wait until we get into January of February before anyone will know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts