Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all this talk of sealed drags and space-age design. How about one for us simpletons?

I wish I liked right hand retrieve - if so, I'd have all the reels I'd ever want in old Hardy Perfects. For those who know the market, are left-hand retrieve Perfects ever available wide drum spey sizes?

and for those like me, what features would you design into a "modern traditional" spring and pawl spey reel?

my wish is no plastic, dual pawls, ball bearing, barstock, rim control, with adjustable retrieve direction. Black, silver, and gunmetal-gray options.

for those who like the f-e-e-l and s-o-u-n-d of the rachet vibrating through the cork handle. It really does have a tactile feel.

someone? anyone?

I think its interesting that new spey rod designs (requiring new tapers and mandrels and resins, etc) are produced annually all around the world by 20 different manufacturers, but no one bothers to market a solid reel that holds two strong pawls ... :(

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I hear you. I re-learned to reel right handed. That solved the problem.

I wish some of the guys out there making the von hoffe style reels which come up with a click pawl...please...I am begging you....

I have a mohlin in this style that is a click pawl that rocks. Unfortunately only like 6 were ever made and it is right handed.

-sean

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
spey reels?

i believe mcneese reels should fit your bill damn near percectly. google this name and you will find his website. nicely crafted reels, for sure! :)

(edit) oops, forgot they have disc drags. sorry....

there is another website, check you PM.

vinnie

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Mark II check Perfects with out the line guard are easily switched over to LHR. But is you wna teh line guard then you need to look for the left hand models and they are both rare and pricey. But to answer you question, they can be found from time to time in the 1/4" increments.

Which reminds me, I was high bidder on a 3 1/2 when I went into a meeting this morning, I better look and see if it is now mine.

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Isn't is possible that the spool can unscrew itself if switched R to L? I don't know, only a guess - otherwise your suggestion would solve my dillema.

·
fly on little wing
1,118 Posts
Hardy Bougle'

Can be switched from left to right hand wind. I went with the right hand wind. The design is counter threaded, spool threaded one way (I think RH) and the shaft locking screw threaded the other (LH). I check the shaft locking screw occasionally to be safe.

BTW, All my other reels are left. I would change these over to RH if it wasn't such a pain.

G

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Sspey,

You might want to check out the new Islander click/pawl reel. They are definitely serious reels and are reversible wind.

www.islander.com/ir_series.htm

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have fished a friends Peerless Salmon reel. Very nice but very $$$$.

It balances a large spey rod very nicely and has excellent capacity. The 4A is speciffically designed for spey rods and unlike the other Salmon reels has a pawl drag and no disc drag.

Gillie

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Hmm I thought the peerless was a disk drag but has an additional pawl mechanism to prevent overun. The main drag however is a disc drag.

-sean

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Sean,

I thought it was a disk also. I just checked and the 4a is a click pawl drag.
I find the 4a a bit light for my liking. Beautiful reels though.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Steve,

Good question. I have never had any problem at all with the spool loosening as long as the retaining screw was snug. Not tight, just snug. I say this as they seem to tighten up as you fish them.

'tip

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I think you're right about the peerless being a disk drag. I find them to be to light. Beautiful reels though.
For the money I still think the peerless is missing something though. Just does not look as nice as a bogdan or other reels in that style. Not sure what it is but I do not care for it. Feels cheap and is a little on the light side.

-sean

·
Registered
562 Posts
The 4A is a click pawl drag. It is unique among the Peerless Salmon reels. My friend absolutely loves his. If I'm going to fish a non disc drag reel it will be my Loop 4 traditional. I absolutely love this reel. I have Loop evotech reels also for when I want a drag but I usually prefer the traditional.

They don't make the Loop #4 anymore but with the current state of affairs between Loop and Danielsson you caould probably find a Loop #3W for a good deal.

The Loop traditional does lack the noise and vibration that so many like.

Gillir

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hardy Perfects -- Reversable?

A friend of mine used his right hand wind reel left handed and broke the retaining screw off inside the spindle. He had to drill out the old screw and replace it with one that was custom machined. He still can't use it "wrong" handed.

Without the retaining screw, the plate unwinds if would the wrong way. Just like the trout reels that don't have a retaining screw. So the only thing preventing the faceplate from unwinding when cranking backwards is that little (soft) metal screw. Those tiny threads weren't designed to withstand that kind of pressure. If it were me, I would never attempt to reverse one of those reels. The time it would break is when you're holding the handle and a big fish is pulling on the spool. Not the time I want my reel to fail.

I believe Arluchetta or whatever his name is can do a proper convesion by re-threading the plate, spindle, and retaining screw. I have no idea what that costs.

I agree that there is a market for a good quality strong click reel. The old marquis series was just about perfect.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Islander

Kush -- You got me all excited about the Islander, but the biggest size available is a 6 or 7wt. Do they make bigger ones that just aren't on their website yet or something?

·
Registered
886 Posts
I can almost live with the "spey rod" term, as a rod suitable for spey casting. Please what is a "spey reel"?
Please find another name, in Scotland they are refered to a salmon reels, I realise that you use them for Steelhead et el but please not "spey reels" yuk.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
Rob,

Are you saying that by using it off-handed, it caused the screw to break? Hmm, I agree the nickel-silver screws are not bullet-proof but I can't see where they would be broken by doing this. I've used this method on four Perfect's and two Bougle's and have never had any problem at all.

Curious what others have to say on this.

sinktip

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rob,

My bad... I didn't even check out the sizes. I just remeber seeing the add in a magazine and posted that they had a click and pawl - I just assumed it was a Spey sized reel.

Sorry Malcolm - I use it on my spey rod... so it is a spey reel. I think calling it a double-handed reel would be misleading and since we call football soccer, what harm can there be in calling a salmon reel a spey reel :cool:

1 - 20 of 95 Posts