Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for suggestions on spey reels in the 300 and under price range. I have a Redington RS2 9/10 that i have no compaints about, thinking about maybe a AL 11/12, another RS2 9/10, or a solitude IV or V? any suggestions? i also see redington has the brakewater model now, but have not seen it in person?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Redington (I have three of them), STH DDR 4 Cassette reel (I have 5 of them), SA Mastery Reel in 10/11 and 12/13, Teton 12, Tioga 12, Hardy, and Orvis all have quality reels suitable for spey lines for under $300.00

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Sinker said:
Looking for suggestions on spey reels in the 300 and under price range. I have a Redington RS2 9/10 that i have no compaints about, thinking about maybe a AL 11/12, another RS2 9/10, or a solitude IV or V? any suggestions? i also see redington has the brakewater model now, but have not seen it in person?
I have a Lamson Spey (LP7) that is new in the box. I'd part with it for $200.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A question from a spey wannabe: what are the important features of a Spey reel?
I understand it has to have enough room for the bulky Spey lines, but beyond that, how important are the drag quality, arbor size, etc, say compared to a bonefish reel?

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Pocket book!

Big Boys Toys!:hehe:
A good bone fish is just right!:eyecrazy:

J

·
0 Posts
However, most bonefish reels will not have enough capacity for anything above the 6/7, or maybe 7/8 speylines. It takes a tarpon sized reel to handle 8/9 and 9/10 and an even larger reel for anything heavier. That becomes even more of an issue with long and extended belly lines. Using 50lb GSP for backing can help, but only to a certain degree.

·
loco alto!
3,054 Posts
Josko - since your not getting much feedback on your question, I will chime in. Essentially any large reel will work provided that it can hold enough line. Spey lines typically occupy more volume than similarly rated lines for single handers. Most 9/10 spey lines will not fit on a reel rated for 9/10 single handed lines. There are issues about balance (use search function to get at this - strong opinions exist), whether the drag functions when wet, and aside from that its the same stuff that one thinks about for any reel. I happily use click pawl reels on all my speys because I'm chasing steelhead, not tarpon.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The best "value" on the market seems to be the Teton. I have never heard of one failing. The drag is incredble and the workmanship and warranty for the price can't be beat. I second the recommendation on contacting Mike at www.redshedflyshop.com His customer service is tops in the business.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Old Florida

My.02,

go with an Old FLorida No.7. should have plenty of backing and costs well under 300. Not quite sure how much, check their website.

Regards,
JG

M

·
0 Posts
I think you might be better suited with a OF LA88, which is 4.5 inches and medium arbor. It holds a wad of backing. I suggest you get one without holes to increase weight to get better balance. I don't know the price, but it will be worth the difference. Great drasg and looks nice with a blue finish and no holes. Real reel. Max

·
Registered
12 Posts
reel

Orvis Mach V or VI...the Mach VI will hold a DT10 and 350yds of 30lb backing. 4 9/16 " in diameter, Price: $325 for the Mach VI

2tancaddis

M

·
0 Posts
Well that ain't enough weight really for a DH outfit. I have a Steelfin XFR which is heavy but doesn't hold enough line, which is, if you are using floating or intermediate heads just too thick and occupies too much space on a LA reel. I think you need to go for a different system, like a deeper arbor, and larger no hole reels to get more weight.
I'm using fly rods off ocean rocks and you need a large length of backing, like 500 yards minimum, plus a 120 foot running line and a 54 foot sinking head. The reel has to hold that lot and not get jammed up.
You can't have your GsP backing off the reel because its too prone to problems during casting, and you need some shooting line around the spool, a chunk, depending on rod length up the runners and around 80 feet out on the cast, to get a decent distance, also depending on the rod length and rating.
The outfit has to balance and that means the reel size and weight is critical and specific to the rod length. A reel that balances a 12'6" 9# isn't going to get near a 15' 10/11.
Cheers Max

1 - 13 of 13 Posts