Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Do you think a Teton 9-11 reel would compliment a Loomis GL2 14' 9 wt spey rod or would the Teton 12 balance it better?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey thanks Peter, ya we do fish the same waters, I got into fly fishing last year, I can't wait till opener. I fished the grand quite a bit last spring and got into some good fish. I caught the hendrickson hatch when it was snowing but hooked a beauty, 24"r on a dry. I bought my spey rod last fall but haven't found a reel yet, mainly cause of price, just trying to find a good deal. I found the Teton reel on ebay but I'm just a little hesistant buying online. I might wait for the fly fishing show and see whats there. Any suggestions on affordable breathables, I've seen gillies and baileys on Ebay. I'm not sure if there any good but the price is.

Glenn

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would also recommend the Teton marque of reels. I had a couple of Tioga 12's which are also made by Teton. Slightly heavier, lower in price. Still, competent reels, both feature a sealed drag. If you're not into large arbors, I would recommend the standard arbor, so that you have lots of backing capacity. Depending what run/species you're fishing for, you never know when a briuser will grab your fly.

I've done over 150 transactions on Ebay and all but one have been good experiences.

With regard to waders, Don't know much about the Gilles, except that they have only a two or three year warranty. I do have a couple of the top of the line Bailey waders and the are nice. Good fit, well made with good features. Extensive warranty, and excellent service. One pair developed a leak and they turned around a NEW pair to me in a week's time. Also recommend the Orvis Pro Guide waders, they carry a no questions asked 4 year warranty. I would avoid the Hodgeman and Fly Tech breathables, every 1ST AND 2ND pair I've had leaked in the foot or the crotch or both after only a few month's use. I fish at least once a week, so my gear gets lots of use.

ADP <")))><

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Peter, I will check that out. Do you do alot of steelheading in the grand? Where do you concentrate your efforts, I've heard of people fishing there, but I haven''t got around to it yet. I will try it though when I get my spey rod ready but it looks like the hatches will keep my busy this spring. I really got hook to this small stream bug thing. I guess its something new, I'll get back into steelies in the fall. I've been floatfishing for so long now, and I'm sick of tying bags and doing the same thing over and over, the change is good.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Some years ago I had a Teton 9/11 that was an excellent match with a St. Croix 14' 9/10 rod. It held a very long belly ten-weight line and, if I remember, 200 yards of 20# dacron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts