Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread regarding a purchase of a Lamson 5 spey reel, I haven't bought it yet cause I found out it was an old reel. It probably still works fine, I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if I'll like it, but a friend advised me it is worth it.

The reel is for a 14 GL3 8/9wt.

I am considering of purchasing a new reel. Can anyone advise me of any. My budget for a new reel is about 400 CA. so that would be about 250-275 in US$.

How are the Teton reels? They're reasonably priced, but how are they? Will it last, or am I going to regret buying it after a couple of seasons.

Please advise, thanks

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi snoryder, i have used the Teton LA RT12LA for the past 3 years on my 13' Loomis 8/9 and have had no problems. it takes a windcutter and 200yds of 30lb dacron with no problems. I think it retails for about $270.00 US. Another good reel you might look at is the SCI Anglers System 2 RS1213 priced at around $210.00 US. Another good work horse Reel, tight lines,brian:devil:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Waterworks 3.5 reel

I have a one year old Waterworks Force 3.5 for sale in your price range It has a few nicks but is in very good shape. It holds all of my spey lines with backing except my Rio WC 9-10-11. If you're interested contact me at [email protected]

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
See if Orvis, or other companies are still dumping discontinued Redington large arbors. If your budget is $250 U.S. wouldn't rather spend $35 to $65? It's not the best reel on the market, but it would meet your needs for 3 or 4 years.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Tetons

I own three of the Teton LAs. They are great reels for the money. I now own two of the 12LA and they will carry a ton of backing and line. I think I have 250 yds. of 30# on the one with a 9-10 XLT. It is tight but it handles it.

The Redington suggestion is also good. I have one and it is a good reel. My only complaint is they are a bit on the quiet side so no scream when a fish runs. I have the 11/12 in Gold that I would consider selling. PM me if you are interested.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Reel for new rod

Hi Snoryder.
I e-mailed you about a Loomis reel.Did'nt hear back from you.
Did you not get my e-mail?.
Neil.:confused:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys thanks for the info. Thats why I seen lots of Redington selling for cheap on Ebay. I'm might do that, they look ok, and I own a GD 3 wt. The quality is OK, its was my first fly reel. I just started fly fishing this summer. I've seen the bigger reels and they look ok to me and if the price is right, then I have no complaints, I just need to find one.

Sorry Neil, I haven't checked my email lately, checking now.

thanks again guys!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
choosing between 2 reels

OK, I've narrowed down my search and I want you guys opinion. I am now choosing between a Teton LA 12 or a Lamson Velocity 4. They both look great, just don't know how they perform, so I'm trusting you guys to steer me the right way.

Thanks

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Lamson Reels

Take a real close look at the spool on the Lamson Velocity reels. They are two piece GLUED together! The older #5 that you mentioned was a spey reel from the start. If the price is right it might be worth considering. Tetons are good reels. A lot of guys love them. The Waterworks Force that someone offered is a very good reel. An upgrade form the Lamson Velocity made by the same people.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Spey reel

Hi Snoryder.
Make sure you contact me before you decide.I will also e-mail you at the add. you posted.
Neil:)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jones, I heard that the old Lamson LP 5 have problems with the drag system, and that they free spool when they get wet. There is a sweet deal on the LP 5 with line, but I wasn't sure it was worth it after what I heard. And I thought getting a new reel would be better than an old one.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
One more .02 thought.

The Teton's are an excellent reel. But their 'little brother' the Tioga for lighter spey rods has performed beautifly (sp to heck this morning). Have two that I use and not a hitch on handling anything from large steelhead to King Salmon on my Spey rods (up to 8wt's). Drag is smooooth as glass and considerably less expensive.
fae

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks fredae, I am leaning towards the Teton. So you don't think I should consider the old Lamson. Newer is better huh? I think I made up my mind, I think, I know my wife is not gonna like, I'm caught in the middle and hate making these types of decisions, should I spend the money or not? You know what I'm sayin'.

I'll let you guys know the outcome...thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Snoryder, i have a used Teton RT12LA that i can let go if you are interested, It is used but not abused and has landed fish so i am not selling it becouse it does not catch fish(LOL). It has a couple of small nicks on the rim but apart from that it is in great condition. This is one of my own personal reels and i have used it for the past 3 years and it is a nice reel.I remember when i started fishing it was tough to justify the buying of new gear and i was very greatfull when a local angler started selling me his used gear at great prices so to keep that ball rolling i will let you have it for $100.00 US plus shipping, e-mail me if you are interested,tight lines,brian:devil:
[email protected]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whiskey, what about the backing, will you be taking that off? how much backing do you have on there, I'll have enough room to fit my 9/10 spey line right? planning on buying the RIO mid spey or anything similar. What do you suggest? I know the RIO lines are expensive, I'd like to find something more affordable but I don't know what I'm looking for.

The email, you left, did not work, [email protected]

Is this a webpage? the www kinda through me off. I'll send an email or if you want you can email me at, [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Lamson Spey reels do indeed have problems

I've got one opf the LA-5's that I inherited with a Loomis 10wt. and its drag system is absolute crap. It really doesn't work when it gets wet, which is kind of problematic for a fishing reel, eh?

I'd avoid a known problem..

stay off my river.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
New Pads

Jumbo,
You can get new pads for the brake on the Lamson. The new material works fine when wet.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So which do you guys like better, the Lamson LP5 or the Teton RT 12LA? The Teton I believe is a sealed system, I'm not sure but the newer ones are and I think this is only 3 years old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts