Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12' 6" 7/8 rod that I need a reel for. It needs to hold a 8/9/10 WC tips (possibley with the 30' upgrade) or maybe a 8/9 midspey with tips, be inexpensive (under $200), and still not be too heavy to balance my rod. I'm thinking of a Tioga 10 standard arbor. I have a Tioga 12 standard arbor, but it seems too heavy to balance this rod. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Brian

·
Registered
646 Posts
Contact Mike at the Red Shed Fly Shop (www.redshedflyshop.com) and he will hook you up with function without spending a fortune. Drop him and e mail and see what he recommends. Know he carries the Teton series, Okuma and the Loops and he may even have some used reels on hand. His service is second to none in the business guaranteed.
Chris

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
While it is a tight fit the Tioga 10 RA will hold a WC 8/9/10 with enough 20# backing if you chop 10' or 12' from the running line. In my opinion there is no way you'll get the upgrade or a MidSpey on there if you want any backing. You can chop your MidSpey at the junction of the rear taper/running line and use Slick Shooter.
I have tried that reel on several 12'6" and lite 13' rods and it seems to balance them nicely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts