Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...good to see Dana´s face in the new Loop catalogue. Given that these catalogues spread more or less over the *whole* world and the fact that the url for speypages is in the catalogue, things look pretty good for our little sanctuary, don´t they?! There´s a spey hype in Scandinavia at the moment (a bit similar to the shooting head hype I think I´ve detected in North america) so I´m sure a lot of Scandis will check this page out.

A pretty grim "fighting face" you got there, Dana! :lildevl:

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
uh-oh...

I haven't seen the catalogue yet. They used this one didn't they:

dana

Re: your observations about spey interests, it is fascinating how things have developed. I think you are right about the interest in shooting heads over here. The Skagit lines are shooting heads and they are generating lots of interest, and I'm getting loads of inquiries behind the scenes about underhand casting, plus folks are talking about various shooting head systems and how to apply them on our waters. I know Goran did some traditional spey casting back when he started, before he switched to shooting heads, but once the shooting head systems became popular was there still a traditional spey following over there or was it pretty much abandoned in favor of the underhand/Andersson styles?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that´s the one! Really like that hat :) where can I get one of those?

I haven´t been spey fishing for more than four years. However, before that I was spin fishing for salmon and I can´t really recall ever seeing a whole lot of DT:s or even WF:s on 2handers. Most salmon rivers in southern Sweden are deep, rocky and tree lines and I understand that people were using cut up DT:s as shooting heads way back. But there were/are also the more Scottish-influenced guys who still swears by their Hexagraps, Hardys and double taper. But those guys, along with us more *modern* speyliners are in a minority in Scandinavia. And that´s because of a lot of myths about fishing longer whole lines. Many people really don´t know there´s a big difference between DT:s and modern speylines. But all this is slowly changing. The three big ones in Sweden are Guideline, Loop and Vision. All present speylines in their new catalogues and Guideline, the Swedish agent för Loomis, really hype the Greased liners (even trying to hype the skagit rods but admitting that "we don´t really know that much about Skagit but we´re sure that it could be an effective approach even in our waters" ...) One reason that the shooting head people (the ones that use nothing but shooting heads) are in such domination is also explained by the fact that most people actually took up salmon fishing on the fly just recently. The number of fly fishers in general has swollen considerably in Sweden during the last ten years. The fastest growing *fly areas* have been salmon, coastal sea trout and pike. Most new-comers start out with shooting heads because they are told that it is the easiest way to start fly fishing for salmon, to which I disagree, especially if the dealer sells you a fast action toppy rod. So there are many reasons for the way things are over here!

I just think it´s a bit sad and strange that the manufacturer´s views, concepts and economic strategies more or less totally decides what the main part of anglers are using. I use *every* line and think they all have their merits, depending on situation. (Although I´ve only been salmon fishing on the fly for a short time I cast my rods almost everyday so, sadly, I would say that I´m a much better caster than angler, hehe. You could say the whole spey casting thing is an obsession for me....). But I started out with a spey line and a deeper rod and I don´t regret it. I think it made me use a more relaxed and *correct* casting style from the start.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
both hats are Tilleys. Tilley is a Canadian Company that makes cool hats and travel clothing. Speypages sponsor The Fly Fishing Shop sells them. The avatar picture was taken by kush on the banks of the Thompson last November on a day when I didn't catch a fish. :(

Thanks for your observations about the long rods in Sweden. It looks like fishing a Spey rod and line puts you at the forefront of a Spey rennaissance on your waters.

I think the shooting heads are really gaining interest here because much of our fishing has been done with Spey-style lines the past 15 - 20+ years and folks are interested in something different. Both styles have their advantages and disadvantages, and I also tend to match my systems to my fishing situation. These days I cast long belly lines underhand style too, just to mix things up a bit more. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for hat-info...

...I´ll check them out.

Me being in the forefront of a Spey renaissance in Sweden?? :hihi: You won´t believe the crap I take from fellow anglers when I show up with the B&W and a spey line - "Here comes the Count!", "Time for tea yet, mylord?", "How´s it hanging, Retro-Fred", "Do you also drive a T-Ford and cook over a fire?" etc etc. It´s all great fun, of course. And the mocking usually stops when I have a good day and put out 35-40 yards of lovely straight spey line seemingly without any effort :lildevl:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whistler in the Loop cat. too

Forgot to mention that Brian Niska is in that picture as well. The "headline" of the page is "Canadian Posse". :hihi:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts