Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Im looking for my first two handed rod and I've narrowed it down to a Beulah Platinum 5 wt switch or spey. I do not plan to use it single handed and will be fishing for large trout (20 inch plus) in the bow river; swinging streamers and nymph rigs. Any suggestions on which way to go? Pros and cons?

Cheers,

DL

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
A longer rod will be easier to learn on. I don't know the size of that river but if you are going to be nymphing I'd say go shorter, however once you start catching fish on the swing you will forget all about the bobbers. I started with an 11 footer and it left me longing for more... My 2 cents

·
Banned
894 Posts
I agree, the Bow is a big river and has plenty of room for a spey. The spey as mentioned is easier to cast and requires less effort for distance as well as the smaller rods requiring the timing to be spot on to get decent results. I think the shortest I'd go is 12' which is a pretty small spey. Platinum is also a very nice rod, you won't be sorry

·
Registered
16 Posts
Between 10' and 11'7" I think you will kick yourself if you don't go for the longer stick. If the waters you are going to fish aren't crazy tight, everything you do will be easier with the spey.

·
registered text offender
1,408 Posts
under 12' is a very short 2 hander. 12.5-13.5 is much easier to learn with. a light 7wt is not at all overkill for bow size trout, unless you like the fight to drag on longer. you'll appreciate the bigger rod in the wind, landing larger fish and throwing bigger flies too. you can always get a lighter rod later. i still fish a light 13'7" 7wt more than my 5. mostly because i like throwing streamers w/ a scandi on a big river, and i dont head home when the wind blows. my first single hander was a 6. it was years later before i got my first 4wt.

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
I would also recommend starting with the spey rod. The real benefits of a switch rod are realized when you have spey casting skills. A spey rod is the best tool to learn spey casting.

Learn the casts and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
+1 to Yeti's comment below/above.

I would also recommend starting with the spey rod. The real benefits of a switch rod are realized when you have spey casting skills. A spey rod is the best tool to learn spey casting.

Over the years I've (just fishing conditions on the Rogue) gravitated to 'shorter rods.' My fav. is a 11' Glass that Steve Godshall built for me.

That aside, as been said above,' a 'short rod' is not where you want to start. The other end of the spectrum is folks will get a rod that is far too long for a 'newbie.' My .02 cent is a rod between 12.5 to 13.5 feet. Over that can be frustrating for a new comer; just too much stick.

fae

·
Registered
555 Posts
That Platinum 11' 7" 5 wt is a sweet rod, I've cast it several times. It would be perfect for swinging streamers for trout of the size you are talking about.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I learned on the 11'9 #7 TCX when it first came out and had no problems switching to 12'6-13' rods a short time after. Anything between 11'6 and up should be fine for u.

·
Registered
146 Posts

I agree. The only thing better than a spey rod is a longer spey rod. I bought 4 spey rods before I got my first switch. I love my switch, but I wouldn't have been able to cast it without knowing the dynamics of casting a longer spey rod.

Get the weight of spey rod that you need to consistently cast the size fly you fish and to also deal with the wind.

Nymphing is for the birds. Once you start catching fish on the swing and develop good line control you won't look back.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hey DL
You should get the 5117 platinum spey you'll be very happy with it its a great all round bow river spey all you need is a scandi and a skagit line and you'll be setup for all the fishing. You'll need for the bow . pm me I can help you out .
Tyler

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for the advice! The 5wt Spey came in the mail this last week and I got it all set up. I must have looked like I was swatting flies when I was down on the river but made some progress!

Cheers!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts