Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exciting times are close at hand!

Things at San Francisco's Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club [GGACC] are 'warming up' for this year's Spey-O-Rama, May 5th through 7th, 2006. Last Saturday, we had two new entrants for the event, Doug Duncan and Simon Hsieh.

Both these gentlemen are fine long distance casters, and use the American River in Sacramento for their playground. We welcome them warmly.

We have an all-star cast from around the world, plus the GGACC’s own terrific casters. All Spey aficionados should schedule this event, or be sorry you missed it!

I’ll add a personal note that should stir the pot a bit. I predict the winner of the event will use a Skagit based line system. In fact, rumor has it that last year’s … well, just arrive and be amazed.

Many of you know others and I have been experimenting with Skagit heads combined with floating tips to determine if these short heads are suitable for long-range work. In fact I am more than a year behind the leaders. Do you wonder how far a stock Rio Skagit 650 + 150 grain 10’ cheater + 17’ tip can cast a fly with a Thomas & Thomas 1409-5? A certain individual cast 145-feet of line and leader to the reel last Saturday at the GGACC, using this outfit. I’ll withhold his name to keep pressure off, unless he wants to throw it up there as a challenge.

The Scots will be tough to beat, but the world will have fun trying, and who knows?

The members of the GGACC welcome all to join us May 5th through 7th, 2006. This is the cutting edge of fishing-realistic Spey distance casting, from three-foot deep water with factory [available to the public] rods no longer than 15-feet one-inch. Don’t be left out!

See http://ggacc.org/ for the club bulletin.

See http://ggacc.org/p/p.aspx?mlid=11 for directions.

I look forward to seeing you!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Bob isn't there restriction on line belly size? I know it is so for the major world competitions and skagit lines would never cut it but not sure about the spey o rama?

I have been hearing from some guys about long 'skagit' type heads and throwing them quite far. I think it could be done but the trick is going to be managing all that line and being able to get it stripped in and set up properly for the 4 required casts within the time limit. You said 1 cast of 145 but did he get all 4 to 145?

My money is still on Gordon Armstong as I bet he will be throwing in excess of 150' this year but it will be interesting to see if a skagit guy can challenge him.

-sean

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Accomodations

Any reccomendations or deals on hotels. Or, where is everyone staying?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JD,
Lodging is always a challenge in San Francisco. The good news is that the SF Bay Area is a small geographical location with good highways, so even lodging 20 miles away is a half hour drive. I suggest Orbitz, Travelocity and the like for the best deals.

If folks on this site volunteer their reserved lodging name and location, it will be appreciated.

Bob

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I may have made some pointedly anti-skagit comments here (they're strictly preference oriented), but I have seen some folks throw these things a country mile, and those who know how to handle the running lines (scando and shooting head casters, as well as skagit casters) don't seem to have too terrible a problem with them. I threw a 9/10 skagit head much farther than I ever thought I could with a Burkie 9145 without working too hard at it, so if they're allowed in the competition they'll likely place high in practiced hands.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Big fat shooting heads do indeed go far and like Moose we will see...Scando casters have never faired well with standard shorter heads. Even guys like Knut have gone to longer heads to get distance. Maybe the big fat banana line is the ticket :)

Still it takes more skill to throw a long belly line :razz:

All kidding aside the spey-o-rama is a primo event. Great club, great location, and great people. I hope I can make it this year and every spey aficianado should get there at least once.

-sean

·
not as gullible as most
47 Posts
hmmmm

The way the rules stand right now a 6th grader with an 8' spinning rod and half a Skagit line could win the whole thing.

Snoopy bobber might be optional though.:saevilw:

Zo2

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Bring on the 6th grader! Him I could take:devil: The other guys, like Doug and Simon and the Scotts and... well, I'll just watch:eek: But that 6th grader, I'll take his lunch money and his snoopy bobber.

Unless his mom shows up too....:hihi:

·
JD
3,641 Posts
RSVP'd

O.K. it's a go. GF is hot to attend this event. I put her in charge of finding a place to crash & she, being Japanese, is looking into Japan Town. Makes her happy as it's been a while since either of us have visited S.F. So that leaves the question of eats during the day. Is GGCC putting on a feed like we used to do down in Long Beach, or what? Also asumming that parking may be a challenge? Looking forward to meeting everyone, old freinds as well as new.

I see my friend Doug Duncan has entered the competition. Way to go Doug. We'll be rootin' for ya.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JD,
Glad to hear you'll be there. Parking is not a problem. The club has a large parking lot and the city stables are next door with overflow paved areas for parking.

The club officers are meeting this Saturday to decide details such a food, timing of events, etc. I'll post the information on Sunday April 9, 2006.

Bob

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We worker-bees at GGACC will appreciate a show of hands.

Will the folks that are planning to come please post this thread, inclucing competitors may already have emailed John Till, Club President. That will give the folks at this Saturday's Spey-O-Rama planning meeting a feel for attendance and the elements needed to support everyone.

Please state if you plant to attend, compete or both. Also note if you want display space.

Your help is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
625 Posts
spey-o-rama

Well at least Scott Mackenzie is giving you guy's a chance, is he does,nt make it over, thats the trouble its a heck of a way to travel to cast in a still water pond.
Still i would make it if i could.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Bob,

Sandi and I will be there, as will Nobuo and our new Distributors Lee and Nancy.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Bob, are you wanting a show of hands here or emailed to GGACC. If so can you post an email adress?

My significant other and I will be there both days.

·
Hall Monitor
497 Posts
Looking forward to it Bob.:D

And I promise not to cramp his style. :tsk_tsk:

See you in May!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bob, I will be there Saturday and maybe Friday

Bob, I will be there on Saturday and maybe part of Friday.

Do you have the schedule of demos yet?

Thanks

Dave

PS: But Bob, Skagit casting :tsk_tsk: is only for Skagit Freaks like you and dolts/idiots like moi! No real :mad: caster would dare to use a Skagit rig for the distance championship at Speyorama! One can only imagine :saeek: the international outrage and shame if a Skagit Caster won or placed high with a Skagit line and a normal size rod of about 14' in length.:whoa:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am coming as a viewer only -- there is nothing like this in Maine and I was not going to pass up this opportunity.

Joe Saunders

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wouldn't miss it for anything! Friday and Sunday for sure. Maybe Sat as well. A couple of fishing buds will show as well.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spey O Rama & Casting Festival, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, May 5 – 7, 2006

PRE-EVENT REPORT #2, April 9, 2006

Saturday April 9 at the GGACC was a glorious sunny day, the beginning of the San Francisco Bay Area’s great weather season. Four practicing competitors were present, booming mighty casts to the far [east] wall of pond # 2.

Following is information as promised in previous posts and answers to some questions.

NAME OF EVENT
The words “Casting Festival” were added to Spey-O-Rama to let people know that more than two-handed rods will be present, and available for guests to cast and practice their Spey and other skills. One doesn’t need two hands to Spey cast.

SPEY CASTING COMPETITION
Competition fly lines: The line must be a floating fly line. There is no restriction on diameter or length.

Rules: See following post in this thread.

Competition schedule: Qualifications will be held Saturday morning, May 6, with the best 8 qualifiers advancing to the finals Sunday morning, May 7.
There will be a ladies event.

Competitors: We don’t have a complete list of competitors. Will those wishing to compete, who have not done so, please email GGACC President John Till at [email protected]?

PARKING
The club parking lot will be adequate, and we plan to have a person directing traffic. The SF Police stables parking next door will not be available for overflow as mentioned earlier.

MEALS
- Breakfast [no charge]: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, starts 7:30AM. Continental style with sweet rolls, juices, coffee.
- Lunch [$7 per person]: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, starts 12PM. Cold sandwiches, beverages, etc.
- Dinner [$10 per person]: Friday [Chinese] and Saturday [BBQ]

DEMONSTRATIONS
This will be a highlight of the event with the best demonstrators of the past returning plus the addition of luminaries such as Steve Rajeff, Mike McCune and Scott O’Donnell. We’ll see Simon Gawesworth, Al Buhr, Nobuo Nodera, Jeff Putnam, Trond or Knut Syrstad, and Stennar Skogmo, and perhaps…
In Messrs. McCune and O’Donnell we have the men that changed the Spey fishing world—the developers, with Jim Vincent, of Rio’s Skagit lines.

THE BEST SEAT IN THE WORLD TO VIEW THE EXPERTS
Unlike any similar event, the three-pond configuration of the GGACC enables guests to pick the view they want. Because “highlight events” take place in the center pond [# 2], guests may position themselves to view and photograph from the caster’s left, right, front or back.

VENDORS
There will be more vendors than last year, including G. Loomis, RIO, Sage, CND, C. F. Burkheimer, Robert Meiser, Anderson Custom Rods, Leland Fly Fishing Outfitters with the Sage Casting Analyzer, and others.

UNPARALLED EASE OF TRYING VENDOR EQUIPMENT
Because Vendor booths will be a few feet from casting water, guests can accomplish much in a short time, and with minimal effort. Select a rod and line from the many demo racks, take a few steps to the water and “Spey Away.” Waders are not needed, but we welcome their use as they allow a guest to duplicate the water depth of real world fishing.

This is a super event, you’ll be happy you came.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts