Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club, San Francisco, California USA has announced its Spey O Rama 2010 dates -- April 9, 10, 11, 2010. Location is the Anglers Lodge in Golden Gate Park, the same as past events.

We look forward to another great event and welcome all to join us.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,872 Posts
Cant wait! This world class event is not to be missed.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spey O Rama Chair

The Board of Directors of the GGACC formally chose Donna O'Sullivan as Chair of Spey O Rama 2010. Many thanks to Donna for her non-stop work on behalf of this event.

If you plan to participate in SOR 2010, please let Donna know. Her e-mail is
[email protected]

We are seeing SOR practice picking up at the ponds, and we look forward to you all joining us. Best Christmas wishes to all.

Bob

·
Registered
210 Posts
Season's Greetings

Hello,

I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, good health and great fishing...may your lines be tight !!

Spey-O-Rama 2010, April 9,10,11 is not far away and I look forward to seeing some of you in SF.

Great news is that 5 from Carron team will compete: Gordon Armstrong, Ruairi Costello, James Chalmers, Andrew Toft and Gerard Downey. They are looking to break the 2009 record so the men's competition will be really exciting! Plus we have confirmation so far from Brian, Simon Hsieh, Simon Gawesworth, Frank Chen, Hiroshi Yazaki.

As for the women's division, Takako from Japan, Siv-Anita from Norway both said they plan to come and I am just waiting for confirmation. Of course, Whitney and myself will compete too, and I am waiting to hear from the other ladies. From the quality of casting in 2009, I am expecting the women's record to be broken too in 2010.

I am really thrilled to see the standard of casting being raised to new levels each year, which says a lot about the competitors and the rod/line manufacturers, all striving for the best !

The competition rules will remain the same as 2009 and will be posted soon.

If you have decided you will be coming to Spey-O-Rama please let me know as soon as possible, especially if you would like to do any demos, clinics or fly fishing presentations at Spey-O-Rama so we can schedule them and post the agenda early. Please email: [email protected]

Happy holidays and Best Wishes,
Donna

Spey-O-Rama Committee Chairman
Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've been really trying to find an accomodation as much as possible close to SOR.
Just... if possible - let me know about that.
And we'll come!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Motels & RV Park for Spey-O-Rama

Here are the hotels and RV park closest to the Golden Gate Park where Spey-O-Rama will be held. We will be working with the hotels to get a rate for Spey-O-Rama for 2010.

Great Highway Inn
(415) 731-6644 (ask for spey-o-rama special)
About 1 mile from GGACC
www.greathwy.com

Seal Rock Inn
(415) 752-8000
About 1.5 miles from GGACC
www.sealrockinn.com

Oasis Inn
(415) 885-6865
About 5 miles from GGACC
www.oasisinn.com

RV Park

San Francisco RV Resort
(650) 355-7093
About 10miles from GGACC
$64 to $73 depending on size of rig
www.sanfranciscorvresort.com

·
Little Creek Outfitters
30 Posts
Spey O rama

Hi Bob and Donna, Looking forward to Spey-O-Rama this year. The whole family will be there. I think Tegan might be starting her own division this year. She's pretty gunho!

Cheers, Mia

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spey O Rama Hula Contest

We are considering another dance contest.

How do you vote? Yea or nay?

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Mia,

Thank you very much for confirming that your whole family will be at Spey-O-Rama, we really look forward to seeing you all! I am sure Tegan is much taller this year, so maybe she can try to make some casts soon ? You will have to get her casting early!

Best regards,
Donna

·
Mount Shasta Paranormal
385 Posts
FFF Certifications

While there be FFF CI certification testing at the Spey O Rama this year?

DH

·
like buddah' bruddah
40 Posts
do the participants in the casting comp have to pay an entry fee? i want to come down for my first Spey o rama, possibly compete, and enjoy what ive been missing!! crossin the fingers...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Fo those interested in FFF certification, please contact FFF directly at: [email protected]. They need an application form and payment for the test. Please let them know that you would like to get certified at Spey-O-Rama in Golden Gate Park.

Please note that if FFF can arrange for examiners for CI, certification will likely be on Thursday, 4/8 or Friday morning 4/9 before 10am.

There is no fee for the competition. Please email [email protected] to let us know your name, address, email and phone so we can send the competition rules and make name badges for the competitors.

Regards,
Donna

Spey-O-Rama Committee Chairman
GGACC

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Practice increasing at GGACC ponds

Simon Hsieh, Spey O Rama Champion in 2008 and 2009, was booming terrific casts last Saturday and Sunday. He is looking good for SOR 2010.

·
Hall Monitor
497 Posts
Just booked our flights for SOR.

Tyler and I will be there!:D:D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Spey-O-Rama 2010 Competition Rules

Here are this year's competition rules, same as 2009:

Jimmy Green International Spey-O-Rama 2010

The rules for 2010 are unchanged from the 2009 rules below.

Based on comments from last year, however, we will have additional officials in the water to better mark the distances and on the bank to verify and record them. This should make for more precise distance measurements, as suggested by the competitors.

We also considered having casts made diagonally across the pool from one of the corners, as suggested by several competitors, but the shape and size of the pool would not allow enough room for setting up casts from both left and right sides. Therefore, the casting course will be exactly the same as last year.

Spey Casting Competition

Equipment
Rod: Must be model that is or has been available for sale to the general public
15’1” maximum length
Line: Floating synthetic line, either full line or shooting head. No restrictions on running line.
Leader: 9 foot minimum, 15 foot maximum.
Fly: Will be supplied

Required casts
Casters can use whatever cast they choose in four situations:

Line from the right – over right shoulder and over left shoulder
Line from the left – over right shoulder and over left shoulder

Casting rules
Change of direction will be set by markers at about 40 degrees (same as 2009)
Caster will be in water – about 3 feet deep
There will be a barrier 33 feet behind the caster. No penalty for hitting it, but it will affect the cast.
Fly must anchor in front of caster
If Perry Poke used, only one “dump” allowed per cast and fly may not leave water on “dump”.
Perry Poke (or similar casts using a “dump” or “poke”) can only be used with lines of head length up to 55’, measured from tip of line to start of level running line.
Once a cast is begun, it counts as a scoring cast.
An inadvertent “extra” cast in a required category will not be counted against the caster’s allowed casts in any other category, but will use the caster’s time.

The Competition
Qualifying will be held on Saturday morning with top 10 casters going to finals on Sunday morning.
Casting order by random draw for qualifying and final rounds.
Casters (or representative) must be present for the random draw.

Qualifying
•3 casts each for the 4 required casts. Score is total of best distances
for each of the 4 required casts.
•Time limit is 6 min. with 2 min. warm-up

Finals
•3 casts each for the 4 required casts. Score is total of best distances
for each of the 4 required casts.
•Time limit is 6 min. with 2 min. warm-up

Friday practice time (20 min) at official casting station can be reserved by signup.

Women's Division

The Women's Division will have the same rules as the Men's Division, with one exception:

The casting station for women will be at the 50 foot mark in the pool, 20 feet farther forward than the casting station for men.
We will have separate markers for line placement to start the casts, so the angle change will be exactly the same as for men.

Note: The purpose and effect of this one rule difference is to make the water shallower (6-7") to compensate for the differences in height between men and women.

Tie-breakers

In the event of a tie for any place, the tie will broken by totaling each competitor’s second best casts in each of the four categories.

Perry Poke

We want to include all styles of casting as they continue to evolve through the efforts of innovative casters. Jimmy Green was not a traditionalist, but an innovator who encouraged and invented better equipment, casting techniques and fishing methods. Skagit casting, using compact heavy heads, is not only an effective casting and fishing style, but was developed with help from Jimmy over a decade ago. We are therefore deliberately including Skagit-style casts and equipment in this competition.

We will allow the Perry Poke (or similar casts involving a “dump” or “poke” of line to the water) to be used only with Skagit-type equipment, which means short heads, 55’ or under. This will not allow a “poke” with longer headed lines, which could distort the competition to emphasize switch casts over all others.

Nelson Ishiyama
Chief

1 - 20 of 415 Posts