Spey Pages banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dana, As of right now after reading the thread linked to above
we currently have what seems like 4 for sure attendees including myself and 2 maybes for attendance. This is of course on short notice so I don't think that's too too bad so far. I have indicated the potential for your attendance to this meet in the thread (if that is ok?)

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'll bring the Bushmill's or perhaps some of that ghastly stuff from the other side of the Irish Sea.:)

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to note we now have 5 confirmed and 2 maybes as of right now. Actually, 3 maybes if we include Dana.

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As of tonight we now have 8 confirmed and 3 maybes for a potential of 11 guys. Dana do you have any word yet as to if you can make it?

Scott

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
yes, I'll be there!

never been to Pegleg before, but I'll find my way. Scott, you'll be the guy with the spey rod, right? :D

BeBop, I'll have a 14ft yellow along. I'll also bring a 13ft Grey and possibly a 15ft Grey as well.

Should be fun!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks Dana, I think I am going down to see DaveO' this morning. I'm going to buy the yellow (for myself). I'll mention your name. Bring the fifteen anyway--you never know, what with the BigT in the offing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dana, I just picked up the 14' yellow. Loop should throw in a free pair of their sunglasses--that case is hard on the eyes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Darn

Just my luck. 3 days too late. I am flying up on the 10th from California. Al, if we hook up, you can cast my Loop Blue.

AD

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Dana, sounds good about bringing the 14 foot blue. I've always wanted to compare how it cast and felt to my 9140-3 Euro Sage. I've always wanted to try the 14 foot green too just to see where my rod fit in compared to them both. It should be fun. I love being able to cast a whole whack of different rods - what is fun about spey meets and spey schools!

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Thanks fellas!

Thanks for the invite and for organizing things, Scott--I had fun, and you were a great help to me with the reverse snake roll (getting rusty)!

Let us know when the next one is planned!

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah Hey Dana I had a good time. I was good seeing you for the first time in a while and getting some casting out. I'm sure I didn't teach you anything you didn't already know about the snake roll. What I do think I did was something about my cast made you remember something that you were forgetting to probably focus on. You definately helped me with some of my casts and I think after a bit of practice I'll be laying out some tighter loops. Also thank you for bringing out some Loop two handers to play around with. All the Loop rods I got to cast were impressive (but I am still faithful to my Sage 9140-3 Euro) and it's obvious why Loop has caught on so well over here. I also got to cast Bebop's new Yellow 9140-4 and I was quite impressed with that, and I can also now echo Kush's feelings on this rod that it is an excellent all around rod like the 9140-3 Sage Euro.

The only sad part about the whole thing is that I think I'm going to send my 9140-3 in to Sage to get the reel seat repaired or replaced. It's swivelling on me (IE the reel can end up 180 degrees on the wrong side of the rod away from the guides side)and although I can still fish with it, I should take care of it before the real Steelhead season comes (IE Late Fall/Winter/Spring) so I'll be rodless for a few weeks most likely.
Oh well, I can mental spey cast for a while I guess?

Take care,
Scott

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Scott!

My reverse snake was looking pretty bad there for a while this morning, and I was wrestling with it trying to get it to work right. Watching you allowed me to figure out what I was doing wrong and correct it.

Remember when I was talking about "body blocks" with the reverse cast? Well, what I was doing was forgetting this simple concept and how to compensate for it when casting long belly lines. Body blocks work for you and against you in reverse casting--they help you by promoting the positive use of the bottom hand, but they get troublesome when casting longer belly lines because the cross-body arm positionig really makes it tough to get a good long casting stroke. My casting stroke was too short for the length of line I had out, that's why I was tailing those casts for a while, causing them to hit me on the way forward or hit the water on the way out. Once I adjusted my technique the casts were looking good, but it took me a bit to figure it out. Watching you cast really helped me because of course I can't see myself cast. You really have that cast nailed and it was a priviledge to learn from someone I once taught.

Thanks again!

Oh, and if you are rodless, let me know--I'll be happy to lend you that 14ft Loop Blue you liked.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It was great to have you out there on Pegleg this morning Dana. Those 140' casts are sure impressive (and inspiring).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts