Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Solstice 16.1 from one of the forum administrators (probably the nicest guy). I need a spey line for this rod. I'm thinking a 75'-85' floater would do the job. I'm looking at carron, cnd, nextcast, but I'm also open for other recommendations. My longest line at the moment is a Carron JS 65ft. I'm a bit of a newbie with the really long lines.
Does anybody have any recommendations, or better still have a line to sell?

Regards

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Scientific Anglers XLT WF8F

This is one of the great series of long belly lines designed by Dr. Way Yin for Sci. Anglers, and unfortunately discontinued a year or two ago. It is 130 feet long, with an 85 foot head, 95 feet including the rear taper, that weighs 812 grains (710 grains at 80 feet from the tip). It's new in the box, never unspooled. I'll sell it for $50 plus shipping.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The 16' 1" Solstice is rated as an 8/9, by American line standards. I'm given to understand that European spey line ratings use size numbers that are somewhat higher for a given actual weight than U.S. ratings. I'm not sure by how much; perhaps one or two numbers? So all of these recommendations are probably correct.

Last autumn, on the Clearwater River, I was allowed to use Steelie Addict's custom-built 16' 1" Solstice for a half day. As I recall, I mostly used my 7/8 XLT and 8/9 Airflo Traditional, long belly lines of similar weight. They both worked well.

·
Banned and proud
845 Posts
If you can find one...

I have mine lined with an 8/9 Accelerator, and it works a treat. If you can't find one, a ( newer ) 8 XLT will also work....

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
My recommendations is 75,85 carron line.
I have been using same is your rod and carron line 4-5 years(75-85 head)
I love the this set up.
Jin.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
What grain weight do you use, 9/10 or 10/11?
My carron line old model and 4-5 years ago they don't make it 9/10, 75,85head Olny 10/11 they has 75,85 head.
Now they have all kind weight and different head.Check out carron web.
I'm using 10/11 75,85 head and try someone has 9/10 75,85 head before the buy.
I love the this set up and enjoy the long casting with a dry line.
I hope this is work for you.
Thanks.
Jin.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,428 Posts
I have both the GPS and an older Carron 75' and while both are nice, in my opinion there is no finer line for the 16' 1" than the GPS.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just bought a new GPS line. 155$ makes it by far the most expensive line I've ever bought. Hope it's worth it. Thanks your help!

Regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts