Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's a hold over from my single-handed days, but I like using loop-to-loop connections from my spey line to my leader...I tie a nail knot to the end of the fly line and then a perfection loop for my leader connection...

I've noticed a problem exclusive to my spey fishing...

I find that I need to retie the nail knot after every other trip to the water because the mono is cutting through the vinyl...I've been using a nail knot with the vinyl line doubled over (like an Albright knot - only it's tied with a nail knot)...I tried it unsealed, I've tried epoxy, super glue, even head cement on the nail knot, regardless, I still get that cutting of the spey line...

I'm to the point where I'm considering using a saltwater loop (loop the fly line back on itself and secure it with three nail knots)...

Is there anyone out there who can guide me on the best, most durable way of connecting spey line to leader???...I'm all ears!!!

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
BobK,

Thanks for the help...I've considered the Albright knot, but I seem to have trouble cinching the knot down evenly...What brand and pound test mono are you using?...I've been using Maxima Ultra Green 40#....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks

I appreciate all of the input...Thank you so much for the sincere advice....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.