Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah - a common problem!

I know the problem well. It exists on all modern lines with a solid mono core.

My "fix" has been to use an Albright knot - it just seems to hold better. Test the knot several times to make sure it doesn't slip by really jerking on it - a few times. Once you have it tied right, it doesn't fail. Next step is to tie a perfection loop. Then, coat the Albright knot with a couple of coats of Aqua-sea, drying in between coats.

Don't be afraid to clean the line and dress it after every trip - I do, and it works wonders.

BobK

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gracie's dad -

Use the general rule for leader butts for thickness. It is 2/3 the diameter of the end of the flyline. Generally, using a tapered line, it works out to .020 to .025 inch. Sounds like your leader mat'l might just be too heavy.

As far as tightening the loops down on an Albright knot, keep 'em snug and neatly spaced when forming 'em, then take the time to work them tightly with your fingertips to a neat, snug group as you tighten it before you fully tighten the knot.

BobK

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.