Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it's a hold over from my single-handed days, but I like using loop-to-loop connections from my spey line to my leader...I tie a nail knot to the end of the fly line and then a perfection loop for my leader connection...

I've noticed a problem exclusive to my spey fishing...

I find that I need to retie the nail knot after every other trip to the water because the mono is cutting through the vinyl...I've been using a nail knot with the vinyl line doubled over (like an Albright knot - only it's tied with a nail knot)...I tried it unsealed, I've tried epoxy, super glue, even head cement on the nail knot, regardless, I still get that cutting of the spey line...

I'm to the point where I'm considering using a saltwater loop (loop the fly line back on itself and secure it with three nail knots)...

Is there anyone out there who can guide me on the best, most durable way of connecting spey line to leader???...I'm all ears!!!

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yeah - a common problem!

I know the problem well. It exists on all modern lines with a solid mono core.

My "fix" has been to use an Albright knot - it just seems to hold better. Test the knot several times to make sure it doesn't slip by really jerking on it - a few times. Once you have it tied right, it doesn't fail. Next step is to tie a perfection loop. Then, coat the Albright knot with a couple of coats of Aqua-sea, drying in between coats.

Don't be afraid to clean the line and dress it after every trip - I do, and it works wonders.

BobK

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BobK,

Thanks for the help...I've considered the Albright knot, but I seem to have trouble cinching the knot down evenly...What brand and pound test mono are you using?...I've been using Maxima Ultra Green 40#....

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I use nail knots and they don't seem to bite through the coating if tied evenly and tightened from both ends. Yet, what is even better is the epoxy splice -

Sharpen the butt with a razor (sounds hard, but it's easy). Strip the last .5-.75" of fly line.

Chinese finger the butt inside the braided core until it bulges the coating a little so you know it got all the way down there.

Apply a drop of zap-a-gap.

Tie a perfection loop on the other end or just use the butt full length. You can always cut it and loop it later. You'll never even feel it coming through the guides.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Fly Line Loop

I like the "double catch" loops made from 50# Gudebrod braided mono. You can find the info for making these on Dan Blanton's website under the Tackle & Techniques section in an article called "Getting Looped". My next choice are the Kevlar braided loops made by Cascade and available at many flyshops.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gracie's dad -

Use the general rule for leader butts for thickness. It is 2/3 the diameter of the end of the flyline. Generally, using a tapered line, it works out to .020 to .025 inch. Sounds like your leader mat'l might just be too heavy.

As far as tightening the loops down on an Albright knot, keep 'em snug and neatly spaced when forming 'em, then take the time to work them tightly with your fingertips to a neat, snug group as you tighten it before you fully tighten the knot.

BobK

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Gracie's Dad, I don't think you butt material is to heavy.
40# Maxima should measure .024 and is what all my customers that use Maxima (which is just about everyone) buy for spey rod leader butt although they are using Clear or Chameleon which is a little stiffer than Ultragreen. A few guys are using knotless tapered leaders that are .026 for the butt section. In my opinion if your line has a mono core you will be better off with an end loop. What Bob says is true about getting the loops smooth and even.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Albright

30# Maxima Chameleon is what I use. I Albright this to the line, then tie a perfection loop in it. I should probably use heavier mono but the 30# is fairly stiff and works fine. I replace this once per season. I know several fellows who indeed make a loop in the end of the line itself with a few nail knots of mono to secure it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many thanks

I appreciate all of the input...Thank you so much for the sincere advice....

·
loco alto!
2,979 Posts
I will not use nail knots on any strong fish, and take a tip from saltwater folks

I use 0.024 Chameleon, albright, then sealed with pliobond or loon soft-head cement. No loop, just blood knots until midway, then triple surgeons for the routine rebuilding. I don't replace the thick half of the leader until it is shot.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Spey line loops

Are you ysing a line with a dacron or mono core?
Do you ever use the sinking poly leaders?

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I use a nail knot tied with the line tip doubled. I do this with the use of a Nail Knot tool. I use 30 lb Maxima on lines 9 wieght and smaller, and 40lb on 10 weight and higher lines. Don't bother with coating the knot or line tip and have not had problems with the line coating cracking until the line is pretty much worn out.

I put a double surgeon's loop in the Maxima and the butt of the leader so I can loop them together. Tippets or other leader sections if I build the leader are tied with triple surgeon's knots.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts