Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,057 Posts
Hmm I think the new line standarads are not that bad. I know the new rio grandspeys all work on every rod I tried them as do the skagit lines and those lines are some of the bigger outliers in the spey world as far as grain weight. Putting grains weights on the rods really is not going to help either due to big variation in grain weights for the long bellies and short lines.

I think RIO should keep doing what they are doing , SA and Airflo and going along the same path, and if the rod companies find that thier rods are not casting the lines weights according to the new standards then they need to relabel the rod weight designation. Seems pretty simple to me. To do a grain window right you need to break it up by belly length and that would be a lot of writing to fit on a spey rod butt :Eyecrazy:

Snowbee has done a good job with the lines but the 1-3D lines only vary by 20' so it is easier to stay at the grain mark they set. I know the scando lines they have are way too heavy IMHO for the given rod rating , most everyone agrees, so even that method is not perfect.

-sean

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,057 Posts
The problem I've been hearing about loud and clear is that a person wants to be able to walk into any shop selling spey tackle and buy a rod plus a spey line of any length and go to the river and cast like a "jedi master". I don't believe this will ever happen however a lot of the people I talk seem to think the "new" spey line standards will solve this problem.
Well those folks are not good casters (I have another word but this is a family program) and will most likely never become good casters. It takes work and not some magic line, rod or standard.

Well it seems you want companies to somehow judge what the consumer wants based on feel. Everbodies feels different. Even with single hand lines you need to overline and underline so it is the shops job to get you to the right line.

With the spey standards an airflo 7 delta will work close the same as a 7 windcutter or a 7 sa short head on a given rod. That makes it easier on the shops and others to reccomend lines for some to try. Of course that is only a starting point and shops like yours are great because users should always try before they buy. Seems to make sense to me.For the major line manafacturers all the head length and grain weights are readily available. Hopefully in the next year or two we will see them all adhere to the new standards.

-sean

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,057 Posts
Well Mike do not be coy :)

Let us know who and maybe the combined voices of the speypages masses can help coerce some info out of these guys. It is worth a try and I agree we should have access to this info.

-sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.