Spey Pages banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like we are getting good response from some line manufactures in regards to getting a line checkout program off the ground. Still a month or two away but I thought we should have a community discussion on setting up the guidelines for the program.

So far I am thinking:

$20 a year to participate in the program. Just to cover my shipping costs. Fair?

-You have 2 weeks to ship the lines after I ship them. Should give you a least a full week to play with the lines.

-2 lines max per checkout.

-US only to start. I think Canada is doable. I just need to look at shipping costs. Anybody have a baseline idea of costs and best shipping practices for canada. At this time I think international is just too cost prohibitive.

-You must fill out a review on the site of the line. I am going to be building some software to support this in the near future.

-If line is more than 2 weeks overdue your posting privileges on the site are revoked until the line is returned. Do it more than once and you are banned from the program.

-Lines more than a month late and you will be billed for the line.

Thoughts?

-sean

·
Registered
947 Posts
It all sounds good to me. $20 is more than reasonable. Using USPS Priority Mail, two lines can be shipped for about $3.85 and be received, generally, 2-3 days after shipment in the US. Roughly speaking, that means you can try up to 10 lines before the $20 has been spent -- a real bargain IMHO.

Should we all have to provide a credit card number as a deposit on the lines to insure that lines that are not returned may be replaced? I, for one, think that is a good idea. An alternative to using a credit card would be to require that, along with the $20, a separate check be sent to the line czar in an amount sufficient to cover the combined cost of the two most expensive lines in the line "lending pool". The line czar could hold the check, not cash it, as insurance against a line not being returned. If a line was not returned, then the check would be cashed to buy a new line and any difference would be returned to the person who wrote the check. I think the credit card may be the better route to go, but the check is an alternative.

Those are my $0.02.

However, you choose to proceed, I think the lending pool is a great idea and will be greatful to participate.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Spey line loaner program

Great idea. Suggest you take a credit card number in case lines aren't returned. That's what tennis shops do when they loan out "try" rackets. Thanks for volunteering to do the legwork. A real boon for the spey-shop-deprived.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I agree the plastic # is the way to go. Then if it's not needed it can just be shreded.
Shipping lines to Canada is best via USPS Global Priority. Much less cost and hassle then the brown truck.
Two lines can be shipped just about anywhere in the world for $9.00 via Global Priority.

Great. I'd like the new XLT 8 and the 9.
wrke,
If you would like to try the 7 or 8 I can accomodate you. No 9wt demo as yet.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By all means do not forget about guys like Mike at Redshed and the other shops out there. Usually they will have demos for you to try and on top of that they are good people. My goal is just to fill in the gaps here and there and help you all to buy the right line from our sponsors.

-sean

·
Registered
396 Posts
"The Brown Truck!!"

Getting parcels thru customs with these guys can be a very expensive ordeal!! USPS has been wonderful as already noted.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting idea:)

this will sound a little cynical/paranoid but... if it's a user pass along to user sys- you would need a report setup if user 2 recieved a wrecked line from user 1- or a means of dealing with that possibility/eventuality. A couple of "whip cracked casts" and you have a line that is "open to the core" and needs re- looping/re- setting- how would that be dealt with and by whom?

Will

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lines will not be passed from user to user. They have to come back to me after each use. I will inspect the lines before they are sent out again. So yes you will have to deal with my crappy splice jobs :chuckle:

-sean

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sign Me Up !

I'm not prepared to volunteer as the system accountant, but I'll try anything in the 8/9/10 range. Willin to comply w/ any decided deposit and shipping policy.

·
Banned
974 Posts
I have a Canadian friend on our board who I have exchanging flies, etc. with. Shipping to Canada is expensive and time consuming. My last shipment was one fly box, with flies, and it cost over $20 to send it via Air. It took three weeks for the package to arrive and only after Canadian Customs dumped the flies out so that they were loose in the box.

I suggest that if you include Canada you have a separate set of lines for Canada that only is shipped within her borders.

David

·
Banned
974 Posts
I see a problem with requiring a review: what happens if I, or anyone else, tries a new type of line for the first time? For me, I could not write a meaningful review on most lines let alone some of the new shooting heads, skagit lines, long bellies, etc. However, as I grow as spey caster, I will continue to want to try more and more lines.

David

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
why not a system where user A sends the line to user B directly? I see many advantages to this:

- a chance at more test time if another user isn't waiting
- quicker delivery to the next user (no transfer via Sean the orchestrator)
- less time Sean spends unpacking and repacking and mailing lines
- more money in our pockets

if there is a question of accountability of user A or B, then it is up to your discretion as orchestrator to make that call on a case-by-case basis. Otherwise I see no reason to burden you with undue mailing hassle.

--------------------

Sean, the post above wasn't trying to buck you, just a case of not thinking and typing fast enough into the reply window

·
Registered
31 Posts
Line Check Out Program

Think it is an excellent idea and endorse the $20 ANNUAL membership plus Plastic #'s. What would be a great help to a "newbie" like me would be a list of Sponsors that have a "line trial" program of their own. Living in the 'Spey deprived NE' I have no idea who to contact. This check out program could be coordinated with sponsors, making more lines available to more people with less waiting time, especially for something new that all the better, more knowledgable casters want to try NOW! If we are to post an evaluation of the line we should also post our honest opinion of casting abilities: Beginner - Advanced Beginner - Intermediate - etc.

·
Registered
941 Posts
MJC said:
wrke,
If you would like to try the 7 or 8 I can accomodate you. No 9wt demo as yet.

Mike
I'd love to take you up on it. I actually would like to try both (for my Burkies) 1338 and 1398. I'll send you a private email.
Many thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Canada...

Love the idea.

re: shipping to Canada. The issue is not cost so long as you use USPS (UPS and FedEx charge very high 'brokerage' fees). USPS Priority Air is really cheap, and if you want extra assurance and tracking ability then USPS Global Priority as Mike mentioned.

I've done well over 50 Ebay transactions and 15+ fly swaps in the US and on average the delivery time is about 10 days using USPS Priority and 5-8 using USPS Global Express. So, the two week window might be an issue for us Canadians. Keep in mind I've had the odd package take up to four weeks. Those tended to come from the US West and got bogged down in the one Customs office in the Canadian West.

My experience is based on a Toronto address. Therefore, others living in less urbanized centers would likely experience longer shipment periods.

Hope that helps,
Preston

·
Registered
913 Posts
PopnesetBay said:
What would be a great help to a "newbie" like me would be a list of Sponsors that have a "line trial" program of their own. Living in the 'Spey deprived NE' I have no idea who to contact.
Check out the "We Love our Sponsors" top left of the page, the RedShed, Welches Fly Shop and Irish Angler all have great "Try Before You Buy Programs".:) Tight lines,brian

1 - 17 of 17 Posts