Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this August, on my first trip into the Dean I injured my shoulder. About day three my right shoulder was starting to hurt. Well I was on the Dean...no way was I going to cut back on the fishing. So by the time I returned home the old shoulder was pretty sore. I'm usually stiff after a weeklong trip so I thought no big deal. Next up was spring salmon season and I fished but my shoulder problem wasn't going away. I just visited the doc today and it sounds like I've pulled a muscle in my shoulder. I need to take it easy for a bit and do some exercises. He's recommended a few that I try over the next week and I'm supposed to cut back on the spey casting for a bit. My question is do any of you do any forms of strength training to help you in your fishing? I'm not a big guy and I know that my 9150 and the grandspey aren't the best for my shoulder, but they're so much fun. So to prevent this kind of thing in the future I need to improve my strength. Looks like while my right shoulder heals I'll finally have an excuse to force myself to work on my casting with my left hand up!
Thanks for the help.
Dan

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
yo Stampman

military presses are great for strengthening all the upper casting muscles.

shoulder shrugs feel good too.

then you might as well do one arm bench rows or bent over 2-handed rows for the lats.

a few good roman chair crunches and you are good to go. strong stomach muscles are the best thing for sore backs.

of course some good squats, leg lifts and ham curls will allow you to wade in heavy current without fatigue.

Gary

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Instead of the normal 12 oz. curl you should step up a notch to the 14.9 oz.
Guinness cans. That should fix you up! :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
shoulder exercises

Dan,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder.

I tore my rotator cuff (shoulder) earlier this year playing hockey then aggravated it on a long canoe trip.

The exercise I found best to slowly bring it back to shape was using an elastic rubber band. Anchor the band to an object. There are many variations of shoulder exercises you can do depending on which angle you want to work. Best ones I found were 1) keeping elbow tucked into side, forearm parallel to ground and working hand outward (side anchor) 2) keeping elbow tucked into side and forearm perpendicular to ground and working hand downward (above shoulder anchor).

Using the elastic band you can strain your shoulder to the point of exercising it but knowing when to stop from hurting it. Pressure is constant and progressive, unlike freeweights which I found myself constantly reinjuring myself.

Hope that helps.

Preston

1 - 4 of 4 Posts