Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in N. California currently and a co-worker hooked me on fly fishing.
We started looking into Spey equipment lately and I’d like to get something that I can use in southern Ontario once (soon?) I move back to Toronto.

I‘d like to buy a lower priced rod . I have a Velocity 3.5 reel on my 8wt non-Spey rod and a Tioga 12 (non LA) I used for saltwater and was hoping to use these same reels.

I was thinking of going the Daiwa route but looks like the UK Lochmor-X s are pretty much all gone.

My idea was to get the 15’6” 11wt( which is\was supposedly more of a 9/10) and put the Tioga on and use it for GLs, Whirlpool and occasional trips to big rivers East and West.
This was supposed to be my Salmon\Steelhead setup.

I was planning to use the Velocity 3.5 on a lighter #6 13’ or so rod for the smaller waters.

Questions:

1) Does this make sense? Would the Velocity be a good match for a #6 rod ? Any recommendations for an inexpensive #6 ? Do rods in this range handle floating and sinking lines fine ?
2) Would using the Tioga 12 be an overkill and\or too heavy for a #6 rod ?
3) Any places in the UK that still have the £110 Daiwa deals?
4) I remember reading about the “new” X models but I can’t find them anywhere. How does one tell the new one from the old anyways? Any links? Daiwa UK web site is under construction.
5) I‘ve seen Daiwa Lochmor-X 12'6" #8 3-piece on sale but that seem to be an in-between rod. To heavy for smaller rivers\fish\trout and a on a light side for the big boys. More of a neither-nor rod. Also neither of my reels would fit it well I figure. Does anyone have any experience with this rod ?
6) Any good Spey casting schools\courses in S. ON ? The local Spey guy wants $100 ( US of course :) ) for a half a day, a bit steep for me.

Thanks

Ivan

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Hi Ivan.
Welcome to the board.Lots to read and learn here.Check out Dana's video clips on Spey Pages.Com.
Send me a PM and we will get you set up on the right road to Spey.
I have a couple of rods you may be interested in.We could meet up and you can try them out.
My friend Rick Whorwood and I have had a few spey classes this year.Not sure if there will be time for another,but we can do a private lesson for you.
October 2-3 we are holding an impromtu spey clave here on the Grand at Bean Park in Paris.
Can tell you more about that when we chat.
Feel fre to phone if you like,519-740-3442.
I look forward to meeting you.
Regards Neil. :smokin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
peter-s-c said:
Phew, let's see if I can do justice to all of that.
Peter,

thanks a lot. Actually that should be thanks a lot again. Lot of the info I've geathered was based on your comments. Web, newsgroups. You are everywhere !
I did check those places before posting. John Norris of Penrith had the 15'6" listed for £110 on their site but they told me over the phone that were out.

There was only one other place that had the 8,10 and 11wt listed but they said no shipping to "the other side".
Of the pond.

I tried pretty much every search engine known to mandkind and I'm really good at finding things on the Net. No luck.

I guess I will just have to get over it. I'll call Neil once I'm back in TO.

$500.00 for the new Lochmor is a bit too much for me for a rod with an "over the pond" warranty.

I would still appriciate if you have any comments on any rods up to $350 US.

As far as "you could hang around me once you get up here and learn what not to do."
I've started fly fishing recently so once you see me casting you'll know what "what not to do" can really look like. :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Neil said:
Hi Ivan.
Welcome to the board.
Thanks Neil. I will contact you once I'm back in Toronto.
BTW are you affiliated with a fly shop? I will have to find some once I'm back. That way I will not have to re-open my bank accounts. Just send my paycheck to the shop directly. That's where most of my money here seem to end up anyway.
:roll:

To bad your spey clave - and that other one I 've seen on the board for early October - is not going to be earlier. I will be in TO mid-late September for a visit.
Oh, well.

Ivan

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
Hey I-fly...

If you would like to test drive the CND rods before you head north please contact me. I also have some rods on my "experienced tackle" page that might meet your requirements. Take care, MJC

http://www.redshedflyshop.com/EXPERIENCEDTACKLE.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts