Spey Pages banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-
New obsesssion- fishing the 25,000 sq/kms lake just north of me:). 415 kms long and nearly 60 kms wide- max depth 18 meters. When the wind is right 2.5 -3 meter surf breaking on sandy beaches. An inland ocean!. Warmwater Fly Fishing ie- big walleye/carp/freshwater drum etc. I,ve identified a number of places that seem likely target areas. One of which involves - walking along a kilometer of our most popular nude beach- ( brings new meaning to the oft heard question from the inhabitants-" wow that's a big rod -where are you off to?":))).
Question is - and this seems like surf spey to me ( the lake has tidal like movements- based on wind shifts and high sloping beaches in many places)- what are you looking for on a patch of surf that keys your interest?.What congregates fodder in such an expanse?.Rising tide/Falling? Why this spot and not that?. Current rips/seams/shallow sand bars/glassy water/bird activity///////?????? Being a riverrat I,m lost looking at miles of sand and pounding waves:). Just waiting for my Guideline P/Taper shooting head to arrive from Jack to get my toes wet and hoping for some pointers .

Will

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've fished water like that years ago in the Great Lakes with little success. Most of my youthful carp fishing was done in and around some small Upper Niagara River tribs (Grand Island, NY) and was flowing water, not lake water. I do know that folks like Rick Kustich and Nick Pionessa have had success on Lakes Ontario/Erie for Browns and returning Steelhead after ice out. I believe the concentration is around stream mouths and other structure like power plants which provide some form of rip. There may be some reading from Rick where you can make some translation as it pertains to structure. You might also concentrate on points and such where the wind will form some kind of current and break. Dave Whitlock has also written about carp fishing in the GL and that's online at http://flyfisherman.com/midwest/dwcarp/ and may give you some ideas.

Honestly, I live near the Chesapeake Bay and I'm stumped from shore. It all looks like featureless water to me (unless you can catch the tide on the move). I do know from some bait fishermen in the bay that they're looking at underwater bars (oyster) that will congregate bait when the tide shifts.

Good luck.

-Chris

1 - 2 of 2 Posts