Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using Whiting's spey hackle? It comes in full capes. I believe they are new this year. The stems are thin and the hackles long yielding that graceful sweep that I really like on these flies. I'm just getting going on spey-type flies and found the other commercially available hackles were hard to work mainly because of the thick stems.

The attached image is of a feather with the hackles just blown to one side

Happy tying.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Bob
I have been using them, but because the stems are so thin, they seem more difficult to tie than any other. I haven't decided if they tie better normallly, folded or stiripped on one side. What method do you prefer?
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bill
I've been folding them by fixing the tip in a hackle plier (thats hanging off my vise), holding the base of the stem with one hand and brushing the barbs back with the other. A pinch at the base of the barbs seems to hold them in place pretty well.
Bob

·
Licensed Curmudgeon
41 Posts
Whiting spey hackles

Looks great! Other colors available? Approximate cost? Who carries them?
TIA,

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Looks promising. The burnt goose "spey" substitute seem to have gotten smaller since they were introduced several years ago, now matching small flies only. I usually strip one side, since a spey fly looks better to me with a small number of very long fibers. That can leave a bare white edge, which I first color with a matching color felt marker.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
These things look great. I'll have to make a run over to Marriott's and check them out.

Do you palmer them behind a rib of oval tinsle to protect the (fine) stems?

JD

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Ryan -

Can I get the inside scoop on these hackles when you get a chance to inspect them up close and personal? :D

thanks

Juro

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JD,

I've palmered behind oval tinsel and have also tried counter-wrapping with wire (a bit more difficult than usual since the hackles are so long). Both work fine. I think the counter-wrapped versions are a bit more durable.

Juro,
When I was looking at the capes there was, as you'd expect, modest variability in stem quality but all were good. I'd be happy to throw some feathers in the mail for you to check out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NC

I didn't save the package but, as I recall, they were simply called Whiting Spey Hackle. I don't believe that they are widely available yet. It probably takes a while to get enough chickens in the pipeline.

You could check directly with Whiting for a distriutor:
http://www.whitingfarms.com/Default.htm

Ryan could probably set you up too.

Bob

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Ryan,

Congratulations on your new appointment at one of the finer flyfishing establishments! I trust this will be the end of the indicator obsession :hehe:

:devil:

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Juro-
I will not give up the indicators (though I will limit their use) and I will not give up the rags, pink worms and shrimpies (but again, will limit their use)...instead I will become a closest indicator fisherman (closest gear fisherman as well). This will bring a whole new meaning to being the founder and president of Indicators Anonymous. :D :D :D :devil:

I first heard of the the new Whiting Spey Hackle when I was in Swede's in Woodinville in search of Rooster Coche Tail...the fellow behind the counter introduced me to the hackle and not only did it seem of very high quality but it was not too expensive condisering the cost of blue-eared pheasent and the even higher costs of Federal fines for taking out a Blue Heron. ;)

I've nevere tried the stuff and it may be a while as I tie few classic Spey flies as I prefer those gawdy bright flies...my motto: The Brighter the Better...The Harder to Cast the Better and lastly The More Water Left on My Cheek During the Forward Cast, The Better!!!!! :hehe: :hehe: :devil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
I prefer those gawdy bright flies...my motto: The Brighter the Better...

Ryan,

Do you have a source for true florescent tying material? Have you read What Fish See by Colin Kageyama? He is a C & R steelhead gear guy, optometrist and student of steelhead optics. In his book there are color plates that show many fly tying materials turn black under water, no matter what color they were in the air.

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Avid-
It seems that flourescent colors are very hard to find in any natural materials as they are readily avaliable in chenilles, threads and paints but not in marabou, hackle and such.

Except, for one color that is marketed by Fishhunter Enterprises out of Kent, Wa. It is color #32-W (or H, I can not remember) and it is a very vivid cerise/hot red/pink.

I have heard alot about Colin's book but have never read it...seems to me it has alot of excellent info.

·
Registered
20 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:

I have heard alot about Colin's book but have never read it...seems to me it has alot of excellent info.
The other interesting book I am reading is called Reading Water by Darrell Mulch also published by Frank Amato. They are both thought provoking to say the least. Colin's book is not the kind you read once and say, "I got it." The information about fly fishing is scattered throughout the book and practical information is intermingled with color theory and fish optics. What Fish See and Reading Water are books one reads and ponders.

Thanks for the tip about the hot pink marabou. You are leaving Ted's and going to which distinguished Fly Shop? Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck in your new situation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts