Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FlyMeARiver
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can you recommend a good online source for spey hackle supplies of various colors? The shops here in Massachusetts dont typically carry much of this and I refuse to buy from mega stores. I prefer to support local shops, wherever they may be located.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
983 Posts
AO feathers....just picked up some burnt goose, but he has BEP and other feather as well.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
You can quickly forget about "supporting locals" when you get into tying these flies. Order some burned goose to start out with. If you can afford blue eared pheasant get that.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Schlappen with nice long fibers makes an excellent spey hackle. Coche feathers (i.e. side pendant feathers from a roosters tail) are terrific spey hackle and most likely what was originally used. Whiting Rooster Spey Hackle Necks. Rooster Spey Saddles, or Hen Spey Hackle necks are also excellent. You want to avoid the Whiting Bird Fur, it is a different feather that isn't suited as a spey hackle.The least costly is schlappen, even with having to toss about 1/4 of a package due to having fibers that are too short. And the Whiting Spey Rooster Necks have the largest number of sizes and feathers that are useable for spey and dee flies, they run around $55.00 a neck.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I've e-mailed the Canadian Tube Fly Company about their heron feathers and waiting for a response. Looks like they have changed their stance on shipping to the U.S.

·
Hacker
616 Posts
There are some darn good tiers on this forum, hopefully some will chime in. I use blue-eared pheasant and have burnt some of my feathers. It is not hard. My primary source for feathers is the Red Shed and Poppy has a very good selection. I go to Waters West if Poppy does not have what I need.

·
Administrator
19,127 Posts
There are no local sources for me for hackles or any fly tying materials for that matter , the two big box stores have taken over .
So all my purchases come from reliable on-line sources .

I live in Canada and getting Heron from CTFC is not a problem . They have other very nice hackles as well for speys and dees .
Aaron from AO Feathers has world class materials and customer service , as does John from Feathers.MC .
These are my main sources for all my tying stuff :)
I have purchased from Poppy at the Red Shed as well and he offers good quality material selection a long with very good customer service .

Hope that helps :)

Mike

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
"spey" hackle

Schlappen with nice long fibers makes an excellent spey hackle. Coche feathers (i.e. side pendant feathers from a roosters tail) are terrific spey hackle and most likely what was originally used. Whiting Rooster Spey Hackle Necks. Rooster Spey Saddles, or Hen Spey Hackle necks are also excellent. You want to avoid the Whiting Bird Fur, it is a different feather that isn't suited as a spey hackle.The least costly is schlappen, even with having to toss about 1/4 of a package due to having fibers that are too short. And the Whiting Spey Rooster Necks have the largest number of sizes and feathers that are useable for spey and dee flies, they run around $55.00 a neck.

Yes what he said!! Please do not forget the simple and cheap "spey" hackle, Coque tail in the 6-10 inch long range will provide barb length longer then BEP. It will also provide a tougher stem for fishing purposes. Have a look at the natural red and natural black coque tail tied in base of the stem first. Now keep in mind these ties o mine are more of a traditional spey so if your are not looking for that style go with the burnt goose, and BEP.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
So I got a response from The CTFC. Basically their REGUALR heron is ok to ship to the US. It's from a non-migratory species, not listed in the CITES, not included in the The Migratory Bird Treaty Act (USA), or in the Migratory Birds Conventions Act. (Canada)

"However, there is a ban on Grey Heron in the US under The Migratory Bird Treaty Act and they "would NOT be able to send Grey Heron to US customers."

Apparently there has been a change and I'm putting an order for the legal regular heron spey hackles soon. I'm rather excited because the stuff looks very nice. Stay tuned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts