Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Red Shed fly shop and Dave Tucker from Dreams on the Fly will be holding a Spey fly tying class on Sept 27, 2013 (the day before the Clearwater Spey Gathering) in the parking lot of the Red Shed. Class starts at 10 am and ends at 4 pm, we will provide all of the hooks and materials. You will need to bring your own tools and vise.

The class will cover a number of classic spey fly patterns and should give you the basic techniques needed to produce a beautiful and effective spey fly. We will be dealing with an array of heron substitutes as well as using some of the new cutting edge materials.

You won't want to miss it.

Seating is limited to 12 so sign up now

Cost - $100

All proceeds will go to the Orofino Manic Teen Center

Dave Tucker-208-861-2853

Poppy-208-486-6098
[email protected]

·
"Cookie Monster"
175 Posts
Sign me up!

It's perfect. Hit the river before class, spend some time with Dave, and then back to Poppy's Riffle or the Pleasure Palace afterward. PM sent!

·
Lookin for a tug
125 Posts
Casting clinic?

Is there a casting clinic at the Clearwater Spey Clave? Trying to get my girlfriend into two handed rods (she's deadly side drifting out of the front of the boat) Unfortunately i work in wildland fire and will not have much time to teach her before end of September

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
i work in wildland fire
I'll bump this up for ya. Be safe, this is going to be a tough year for fighting fires... especially since our last two in my district were caused by human ignorance (dragging a chainlink fence behind a truck -19 separate blazes - and a cigarette out the window at 3am - joy:mad:)

As far as casting instructions at/around Poppy's clave, there have in the past been some great casters who volunteered their time to help out new folks to the sport... hopefully they will send you a note with a similar offer.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no official two handed casting clinic during the Clearwater Spey Gathering. There will be lots of people there that will help a person wanting to learn how to cast.

There will also be several two handed casting instructors in attendance that give lessons. I don't list them and I don't recommend any one over the other. I will tell you that all of of them are top of the line instructors. Anyone wanting this info can email me: [email protected]

PS. FeHedder #5 I'll be sending you some info on this subject later tonight.

·
JD
3,609 Posts
The Red Shed fly shop and Dave Tucker from Dreams on the Fly will be holding a Spey fly tying class on Sept 27, 2013 (the day before the Clearwater Spey Gathering) in the parking lot of the Red Shed. Class starts at 10 am and ends at 4 pm, we will provide all of the hooks and materials. You will need to bring your own tools and vise.

The class will cover a number of classic spey fly patterns and should give you the basic techniques needed to produce a beautiful and effective spey fly. We will be dealing with an array of heron substitutes as well as using some of the new cutting edge materials.

You won't want to miss it.

Seating is limited to 12 so sign up now

Cost - $100

All proceeds will go to the Orofino Manic Teen Center

Dave Tucker-208-861-2853

Poppy-208-486-6098
[email protected]
OMG, if I lived within a hundred miles of the Red Shed, I'd be all over this like flies on honey. Good show Poppy.

·
"Cookie Monster"
175 Posts
What You're Getting !!!!

Since when has a few hundred miles deterred you from anything J.D.? Seeing Poppy or Dave won't point it out ----
There are some fine examples of Dave's abilities presented on the "Weekly Fly",for those wondering about what they are getting into by taking the class. Besides that, he's a great person and the money is going to a fantastic cause Doesn't get better than that, unless we get cookies at a break.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is there any way possible to make this a pay per view on the internet for those of us too far away? I often watch webinars from vendors where I can type in a question about what is being discussed and this could be set up the same way asking about a technique or material for example. I certainly would be interested in participating that way, and it could be an additional source of revenue for the event.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I never say never. We will discuss it and I could see this working if there were just the instructor doing it for an online group.

With my very limited technological knowledge I'm not sure I see how one instructor can deal with 10 to 12 students and at the same time answer questions from however many people are doing it online.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts