Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone anyone know the recipe for Syd Glasso's Black Heron? There is a picture of the fly in Combs' old book published in 1976 but no recipe and I can find no other resource on the net. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Per John Shewey's: Spey Flies & Dee Flies

Black Heron
Body: Silver flat tinsel overlaid at front third with black dubbing.
Rib: Silver oval
Hackle: Gray Herorn (or substitute)
Throat: Guinea
Wings: Gray or Black goose shoulder strips or hackle tips.

Tight Lines,
Donovan

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
As tied by Bob Veverka

Body: Rear 2/3: Flat silver tinsel
Front 1/3: Black seal or substitute
Rib: Oval silver tinsel over both portions of body
Hackle: Gray heron substitute, dyed black, with one side stripped away, palmered forward over the dubbing
Thorax: Guinea fowl wound as a collar and pulled down and back
Wing: Matching black goose shoulder quills (originally heron), set low and tent style over the body.

My source was Flies for Steelhead by Farrow Allen and Dick Stewart which I had within reach. I have Bob's book also. However, it's presently not quite as accessable. The book also indicates that Bob suggests schlappen, coot or dyed/natural various pheasant rump feathers can be used as legal heron substitutes.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Syd tied the fly as SpeyHermit lists the dressing.

A little more information for those interested in this fly. Syd tied the fly with either black or grey spey hackle; however, he always used black wings on the BLACK HERON. When he tied it with grey spey hackle and grey wings, he called it the SILVER HERON.

The two versions of the BLACK HERON along with the GREY HERON were considered by Syd to be flies for use in lower, clear water. And were intentionally tied as dark, medium, and light dark flies for use with differing light levels, water clarity, water levels, and water types.

Syd likewise considered his ORANGE HERON, BROWN HERON, and GOLD HERON to be the light, medium, and dark medium bright flies for use in winter/spring again depending on light level, water clarity, water level, and water type.

He also tied the SOL DUC, SOL DUC SPEY, and SOL DUC DARK as light, medium, and dark bright flies for use in winter when the water was high and cold. These were also intended to be used depending on light level, water level, water clarity, and water type.

He also tied three spey variations of the POLAR SHRIMP: 1) with fl. orange floss and dubbing along with fl. orange spey hackle and G.P. breast feather throat; 2) with fl. cerise rear body, fl. orange front body, and fl. red spey hackle along with G.P. breast feather throat; and 3) with fl. cerise floss and fl. cerise dubbing and fl. cerise spey hackle along with a fl. red throat. Notice this again produces a light, medium, and dark sequence of very bright flies.

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
hello flytyer

Thanks for sharing that information. Really cool stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts