Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed a few spey guys on my local coastal river swinging articulated cone-head spey flies with a bead on the trailing wire between the fly and the hook. One of these guys hooked an absolute HOG this morning so I am now considering tying some in this fashion. Thoughts? Tips?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, interesting. I just watched a video of a beaded fly tie yesterday, although it is not new. I love the extra movement and depth that the bead gives the fly in the water. Mesmerizing... I wonder if the fish think so.

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
With all due respect, I do not believe a beadhead would qualify as part of a Spey fly. A steelhead fly yes but not a Spey.
I'm with you Duggan ... I would never consider a bead in front or behind my prop-blade on my Green Kings .... :hihi::hihi:

Seriously though, I think the term "Spey" is used a little too loosely now days.
My statement is not intended to offend or not directed at the the OP.

Mike

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, steelhead fly!...I meant no offense to the purists out there! Clearly I was using the term spey fly very loosely here. Nomenclature aside, I know that a lot of non-fly fishing folks fish by essential 'swinging' a bead and thought it was an interesting addition to a swung fly. It might up the chances of a tight line.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only fly fish so I'm no expert, but my understanding is they use a heavy weight, and a couple of feet up from that a bead and hook. I assume they cast across and let it bump along the bottom until it's swung across and directly downstream. I may be completely wrong though.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've fished with a couple guys that on occasion ran a bead dropper 10" behind their standard swing fly. Mainly because they also nymphed beads a lot between runs and had hooked a lot of fish when the bead stopped dead drifting at the end of the drift and swung into the bank. Never saw one hooked that way but I'm sure it has happened.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
loco alto!
2,990 Posts
People swing beads using two handed rods all the time. Sinktip to leader to bead (instead of fly). It’s as simple and dirty as it sounds. Funny how many folks would incorporate a bead into a fly, but refuse to swing the bead alone. People are weird. Fly anglers are weirder.

·
Registered
521 Posts
An easy method is if you are using tube flies is to place the bead after the tube. One of the members on here Speyducer use to use this method to prevent the loop from being pulled back into the tube. It was done to maintain the trailing hook a certain distance back from the fly. Here is a thread where he showed it, it is a few posts down in the thread. I think he had pretty good success using this method for both steelhead and chinook in BC.

https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/54-tackle/90426-question-about-tube-fly-hooks.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
Pretty sure Alex Hall claims you can swing an egg pattern.. JD wasnt havin it though. Good flick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I'm with you Duggan ... I would never consider a bead in front or behind my prop-blade on my Green Kings .... :hihi::hihi:

Seriously though, I think the term "Spey" is used a little too loosely now days.
My statement is not intended to offend or not directed at the the OP.

Mike
Nah - I don't think I could ever consider slipping a brass bead on the hook ahead of a Lady Caroline but given there are several historical, correct, and accepted definitions of a spey fly, and the fact that we would likely have to use a substitute SOME part of the pattern in order to dress them... I think we can stand to loosen-up a little on the spey flies. Obviously - No real need to use the modifiers "modern-spey", "steelhead-spey" (my favorite) or "spey-style" unless really really want to be correct :roll: thats' fine too though.

And... what about articulated-flies???
I strongly suspect (but can't know for sure ) OP is referring to shank flies - tied with a trailing wire/hook - that are too often called "articulated" when they are not.

Anyhow - its supper easy to slip a small brass bead on the hook prior to dressing the spey. I've done this with a simple spey dressing of silk, wool, marabou, tinsels and bronzed mallard. The bead slips over the head when finished and it will swing further down in the water column. I took a fresh steelhead - literally at someone else's feet once - would do it again.

·
Registered
740 Posts
My first steelhead trip in the 90's was on the Karluk on Kodiak.
It was single handed outfits back then, chucking 3x heavy shots of lead crimped onto the leader, with a stopper to prevent it from sliding down. About 3' down from the stopper was tied an egg fly (or bead) then another length of line off the bend of the egg fly hook to a classic steelhead fly. It was said the fish were attracted to the egg or bead then went for the wet.
This rig was cast out and swung, sometimes the fish hit the egg, and sometimes the classic wet. I had lots of luck on a Winter's Hope and a Deep Purple Spey. Curiously even back then, I double speyed the rig to get it out and back out into position to haul out again (as you would with a Teeny head).
There were char about too, and one of the guides killed them with just the lead shot, leader to bead (painted with nail varnish) pegged to the line, and an inch or two to the hook.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts