Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a spey rod in action for the first time. Fascinating, and I'm willing to put in the time to learn how to cast one, but what options do I have for using one within a reasonable drive of Cape Cod? Are there any waters amenable to the method within a couple hours' drive?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hey Josko!

My favorite place is the upper Pemigewasset in Bristol NH. Brood stock salmon to 20# there too, smallies, big trout, beautiful scenery and great spey water.

But the coastal tidal areas like Poppy (inside) are great spey waters as well, Quonny in Rhody, etc.

I will post more, my daughter's b-day and I am chaperone man!

Juro

·
Registered
201 Posts
From a practice standpoint, you can use any of the South-facing outflows on the Cape. I practice at Highbank on the Bass River.

I have some poles you can use, too.

Ron Arra uses one at the Canal. There are pictures of him doing it in his new surf casting book.

I am 100% convinced that there are plenty of Salt Spey opps on the Cape, although I have only caught those little snapper blues in the BR. I was fishing the mouth of one of the rivers on the ebb the other night and it was a perfect opp to spey cast to rising stripers, but I didnt have a 2-hander with me.

At any rate, I am having a ton of fun with it, but there is a lot to learn. It is a whole different way to fish.

I know of three guys on the Cape who would like to learn to spey, but have not been able to find anyone nearby who can teach it. That is you, me and the guy that has been giving Marco casting lessons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weel, I kinda maybe think I know a teacher. Actually, I'm factinated with just the concept of 'planting the fly'. Barber showed me how to plant a fly with a pile cast and then get a perfect upstream mend using the planted fly as anchor point. When I asked for more, ho broke out the spey rod. It just never occured to me to anchor the line with a fly in the water...

I promised him I'd figure out how to mend my line around an anchored fly by the next time I go up there.

·
1,771 Posts
If you guys are interested, I'd be glad to go through my Spey 101 instruction with anyone interested. I've presented at two conclaves this year and have instructed numerous students with encouraging results over the last couple of years, besides I enjoy bringing people into the fraternity of the speyrod. Each person one instructs makes the teacher better as they say, so it helps me as well.

In any case I can bring a large assortment of rods and lines. :p

Highbank is a good choice, although there might be more action elsewhere the spot is sheltered from wind on most days making it a good choice for this kind of thing.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Juro, where does such instruction take place, and during what general time of year? I'd like to watch and learn.

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
Guys take Juro up on it.

You would have to look hard and long to get anyone who is better with the Speyrod than Juro

In fact work hiw butt off that way there will be more stripers for you.

:devil:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am in for any kind of spey lessons, anywhere near the Cape.

Highbank has excellent wind protection but only three guys can cast, four if they pull the docks. If it blows like stink from the South or SW, it is only good for two, but most of the time it is fine. Water doesn't go slack for very long, either.

The windmill is another pretty good place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take Juro up on his offer

I'm sure anyone who gets a chance to cast with Juro will come out ahead. I was lucky enough to recieve instruction from him at a recent Spey Clave(Eastern Spey Clave), he has the gift to teach as I saw him develop new casters and tweak the casts of some guys who were already doing pretty good. If it wasn't a 12 hour drive I'd be first in line.:D
Rob

·
1,771 Posts
Thanks guys for the kind words, someday I might even deserve them! Right now I am just a student who is trying to share.

NY/NJ gang -

I am planning on chasing the fish down to your neck of the woods... Sandy Neck, this November. I'll bring a slew of rods in both Spey and the Atlantis surf sticks. I know you have a good surf zone there, but is there a place with a gradual wadeable shore ideally sheltered from the wind and with a current along shore? Spey casting does deal well with wind but not while trying to learn to manage the friction of the leader / line taper on the water for the first time.

I am looking forward to it!

flyfisha1 said:
Juro, where does such instruction take place, and during what general time of year? I'd like to watch and learn.

·
Banned
103 Posts
You can count me in; just let me know when. I'm not familiar with that area, but I'm sure that someone on the board will know more. I'll see if there are any fly fishing shops in the vicinity that can make some suggestions for likely areas for spey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts