Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I'm a devout fly fisher who has used the conventional rods for a long time. I had a friend get a spey rod from his wife and he is swearing by them for steelhead and offshore salmon fishing. I know that all of you guys spey fish but can you give me an idea of what it's like technique wise, presentation, distance. Also if you could refer me to any particularly good websites that show someone casting a spey, I'd be much obliged. Thanks a lot,

Matt

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hi Matt
Welcome, you have found what you are looking for. You are here THE SPEY SITE. Click on the Spey Pages link at the top left just below the big fish. Or just click here http://www.speypages.com/speypages.htm then follow the links to the videos

Malcolm

·
Registered
212 Posts
I started flyfishing in 1988 and began using the two-handed rod about five years ago. My fishing is evolving toward the two-handed rod almost exclusively; but when I fish with a one-hander many spey 'moves' get incorporated. Your best bet to learn more is to spend a few bucks and get a good video---Derek Brown's "Spey Masterclass" or Simon Gawesworth's(with Jim Vincent) "International Spey Casting". A picture is worth a thousand words as they say, and I believe that's the only way to appreciate what the two-handed rod will do for you.

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Spey casting videos

Another excellent video is the Sandy Clave from Mark at the Fly Fishing Shop, one of the sponsors. You can see some of the best casters in the world.

Rich

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Welcome to the Board

Matt,
There is some good video on casting on the Speypages http://www.speypages.com/speypages.htm
If you want to try it, be sure you invest in some good instruction. Lessons will drastically shorten the time and frustration that it can take to learn to spey on your own.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Matt, another site that has some pretty good video

on spey casting is the "sexyloops" site. Think they're out of the UK.
fae

1 - 6 of 6 Posts