Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
quite often i find it is the charismatic marketing of certain individuals that suddenly discover a new method or tackle system to fish in a certain manner eventhough there were some that realized, many years prior, those methods and tackle allowed you to fish in that manner with ease.

some get gratification from fame. some get gratification from watching others learn. some get gratifcation from just fishing. and many find a sense of accomplishment in a combination of all three (each individual's own proportions of the three may greatly vary from another).

·
Registered
124 Posts
NrthFrk16 said:
quite often i find it is the charismatic marketing of certain individuals that suddenly discover a new method or tackle system to fish in a certain manner eventhough there were some that realized, many years prior, those methods and tackle allowed you to fish in that manner with ease.

Hi Ryan,
there is a lot of truth in this. At the same time, as someone who has been taught by a number of known UK instructors (as different as Falkus and Simon G) before taking instructor qualification, there has been a vast improvement in teaching methods/standards, and the modes of communication. I think that Falkus's video on spey casting was the first around (1983?) that "popularised" Spey Casting and even he told me that he wished to leave a better legacy than that - his Spey casting book. (Some of the loops/anchoring would raise eyebrows today). But what was there on Spey casting - in terms of literature - internationally known - before Simon's book? I know that Maxwell was a big influence over in North America, but elsewhere? As for videos, I have another one from the 1980's with a pretty self-opinionated instructor who talks about "dumping the line in the water". He does literally that. (He demonstrated a lot of what most of us would identify as faults today). That is not to say that there aren't still videos/dvds that fall short of the mark!

Regards
Steven

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.