Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm thinking of it, what sort of interest would there be in a Spey Clinic or two to support the Forum? I'd teach it, we'd hold it somewhere in the Northwest (southern BC or northern Washington--maybe we could get a local shop to sponsor it) maybe in March or April or earlier if people are keen, we'd charge $150-$200 a head or something like that for 2 days, and all money would go to support the Forum (okay, well someone would have to buy me a beer afterwards, too! .;) )

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dana, interesting you've brought this up.

We're planning to do Charity Spey Casting Clinic #2 in the same time frame and I'd suggested to Juro exactly the same thing. Öurs is a bit more pricy but it included all the meals, and for several of the folks, lodging.

Juro wasn't too keen on the idea at the time, but where I send the checks (as was the case last year) was up to the Board members who made the recommendation(s).

Steve Choate and Way Yin have already committed to being our instructors again in 2003.
fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Dana -

I think it's a great idea, and a pleasant surprise since we hadn't actually talked about it. Since one of the main reasons for our current year-end drive is to be at the first Flyfishing Show appearance in Seattle this winter, I wonder if we could tie the two together somehow.

If we could get enough people recruited we could hold it at the same time as the show being in town. I'm sure people would be happy to drive over for a double whammy, and perhaps we can even come up with a few more ideas to multiply the overall off-season experience. This may translate to the use of demo gear from the big name manufacturers for the clinic who will be in town as well as some of the new faces on the block who will make a big impact in the future. We could possibly involve key personalities attending the show as well. Such a clinic would not have to be associated to the show at all, but it's just a thought.

Anyway, sounds GREAT! The tips I got from you re: spey casting have made a big difference in my ability and this would be a great learning experience for all who attend.

Fred -

For the record, it wasn't that I was not keen on the idea, but the specifics of the venue were a little awkward at the time. Let's not stir up all that innuendo again, thank you. First consideration will always go to our sponsors.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, here's what I'm thinkin'...

to start with: a one day clinic somewhere in southern BC (probably the Vedder) sometime early 2003 (January or February). I want to make this both affordable and worthwhile for everyone, so I'd set a minimum price (say $50 - $70, and those are Canadian dollars, which is @ 6 bucks US, right?--sorry, can't resist those overused currency exchange jokes!) but donations above that amount would be gladly accepted of course. I'd see if I could round up a few other fellows who know the ropes so we would have a few instructors there, and apart from the demonstrations we could keep the format flexible just like I use for my other schools so that we can cover as many areas of interest as possible. We'd also need to find a REALLY GOOD PUB for the after events. All money collected would be sent directly to Juro for the purposes of maintaining the Forum/Clave/Spey Pages.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Juro, I'm VERY sorry if I hit a wrong button on my post. (follow below)

"Fred -

For the record, it wasn't that I was not keen on the idea, but the specifics of the venue were a little awkward at the time. Let's not stir up all that innuendo again, thank you. First consideration will always go to our sponsors."

Good answer!, no prob. on my end. :>)

I'm damn willing to do what it takes to assure that this Board is "Alive and Kickin." God knows I get more pleasure from here that about anything else that could come to mind. ([email protected]$%*!!!! guys, DON'T even think about going near the 'Redhead' idea!)

I think Dana's idea is top drawer. Could we get this scheduled closer to the Calif. and Oregon folks? Short of death and taxes, I'd attend in a "New York Second." Anyway to wrap this into a 3 day weekend to help with the 'coming and going?' Random thought here only: possible to connect this with Spey Clave #3 on the Sandy River? Got the people, got the distributors, got the advertising, got the $?

Very, very cool Dana!! Major tip of hat to the SpeyMeister!
fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Fred, no apologies necessary! I too stirred the pot vigorously at the time as I recall :devil:. No fault was implied by my comment, I was just putting things in context.

BTW - thank you for coordinating the check collection for the webmaster wedding gift. We're having some trouble getting it delivered to him right now but I'm sure we'll be hearing a big yeehah pretty soon from his direction. :)

Smolt - both it is!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sounds like a good idea but you might want to be careful of the legality of it. I am not sure what you can or cannot legally do without a WA state Guides license. Just saying be careful ...

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
WHAT YOU WANT IS WHAT YOU GET

I have been chewing on this one for a day or so.
With the Help of Northwest Speycasting I will sponcer a
SPEY CLAVE on the week end of the Flyshow.
Will have it on Sunday as most of you will be at the show on Saturday.
If this will not work out will have it the week before or after.
Let me know what will work for you.
As long as we keep the hooks off the lines there is no conflict with Wa Laws.
The Acutions are a good Idea.
Juro the silver tounged :devil: has been working on me and I will give a donation .

Need your input how do you the board wants to run this Clave.
I may try to Auction off Danna.. Naw !:confused: :cool: :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hmm the Vedder in February back to my BC steelheading baptismal of 16 years ago. What else is worth winter steelhead fishing at that time ? The Skagit country is not far away as I recall. Probably closer than I knew at that time.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
clinic and auction

clinic: I'm thinking about late January and having it flexible over 2 weekends in case we get nasty weather or water conditions on one of them, either the 18th or the 25th. I might have to do some casting demos out-of-town around then too, but I'll post an update once I get more info.

auction: juro and sean and I will discuss how we can set this up and post here again once we have the logistics worked out.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
January 25th

okay, I'm going to zero in on January 25th for the fundraiser clinic. I'll post more as we get closer. I'll twist a few arms to get a few other fellows like me who know a little about the long rods to come out and help. Email me and let me know if you are thinking about coming. No numbers limit--the more the merrier, and better for the Forum too, but keep in mind that lots of casters will limit the contact time so I am anticipating there will be more demonstration and small group instruction happening than one-on-one instruction. Those who know me and know how I do my schools know that I will work my butt off trying to get around to everyone, but the contact time will be much less than you'd get at a small group school where big bucks are charged.

I'm anticipating we'll probably do this on either the Fraser or the Vedder.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Dana,

Any chance of making this a south of the boarder thing? Looking at the numbers of folks who have been supportive at the Spey 'Claves the boarder crossing during a weekend may make it difficult to attend for a lot of people. Limiting the numbers limits the number of bidders which limits revenues.

Just a thought

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
immigration

...is my problem. Once upon a time a spey school was set up across the border. I was concerned about the immigration implications and I raised them, but I was told everything was taken care of. When I hit the border I was told that no, everything wasn't taken care of, and that the person who organized the school did not infact ensure that all proper documentation etc was in place and as such any schools or clinics in the US by me would be considered as illegal employment (as they would be for anyone crossing into either the US or Canada to undertake similar activities), and on that basis I was refused entry. Now whenever I cross I must go through 1000 questions (which is fair enough) about where I'm going and what I'm doing, especially if I have any fishing tackle with me. I don't have any problem with this, and I just want to be sure that there also aren't any problems created for anyone else, too. I know this will sound sappy but I consider myself to be an honest and trustworthy sort and it still troubles me that this happened; fortunately, due to the good and careful people that watch over our borders I am still okay to come and go as I please as long as I'm not working, which I never do.

So this makes it impossible for me to run such a clinic across the line, unless someone (a shop for example) wants to go through all of the immigration headaches to secure a permit for me to do so, which I'm told is a 6 month process. So we'll have to do it up here. I know that the BC population base for Spey casters is much smaller than Washington, but the Vedder is relatively close to the border, so I'm hoping a few people from Washington will come along and join us.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update

January 25 is our day for the spey. In fairness to our steelheading brethren who would rather fish and not have a bunch of guys taking up space on a run, I think we'll probably avoid the Vedder and instead hold the clinic either on the Fraser or the Harrison, but a finalized location will be announced here once we do a little scouting in early January. We'll go rain or shine, and my pal Tyler Kushnir ("kush") will join me as an instructor, and my other pal internationally recognized classic fly tying expert and FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor Rick Whorwood will fly in from Ontario to do a spey fly tying demo in the afternoon. I'll keep everyone posted here as more develops.

And does $50 sound reasonable?

·
Registered
10 Posts
$50 bucks?? Even if it's US dollars, that's the best deal I've had with Spey anything!!!:whoa:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts