Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-

I just wanted to congratulate Dana on a great read over on the left. I have been browsing through y'alls old pictures and it looks like you really have a blast. I can't believe how long some of those rods are.

It crossed my mind lately that a great spey reel for an affordable price might be the old Ross Saltwater. It went up to 4.4" and had a lot of room for a fat line, built on the Gunnison core and backed by Ross. Anyone using this? I have seen some go for pretty cheap and I just wanted to put the word out that (if this is a good idea subject to your opinions) I would be in the market for a SW4. Contact is [email protected]. Thanks, all.

Zach

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Zach, I have a Ross Saltwater IV

which has a rated, and true capacity of 300 yards of 30# Micron
plus a WF12F line. I am able to install 200 yards of 30# Micron and a
WindCutter 8.9.10 line.

And it's not for sale! :smokin:

The Ross Saltwater V has more capacity than the IV and should be an excellent spey reel in the affordable range.

·
Spey in the South?!
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha! Thanks, Bob, nice to know it is a good idea. I will keep looking.

Zach

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
I have the V

It is a line pig. It has about a zillion yards of 30# Dacron and any giant belly Spey line you'd care to put on it. Other than the fact that the clickers are a little touchy the reel has performed flawlessly for me since 1998. When my clicker died Ross was really good about sending me 2 new ones gratis.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I likethe Ross SW too

Use the IV on my big sage. Flawless drag. I bought mine at ratil before they were discontinued. If yo u can find a cheap one, get two and send me one.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I have two V's and one IV - great reels - I think one of the most undervalued salt water reels that were around - a friend of mine has landed many yellow fin on his with not a bit of problem. What I find strange is the BG 8 is rated at more capacity than the old SW V but I have the 9/10 xlt on the BG 8 and had to go to spectron and did not get 200 yards. Agree with Dana about the clicker being a bit touchy on them

1 - 7 of 7 Posts