Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having a look around a BC based board I noted that a few people are trying to put something together, and one comment was that this has been tried on the Clave but nothing ever comes of it.

I think the fact that nothing has come together for a Spey Clave North is typically Canadian--we like the benefits of things but really don't want to commit the necessary resources. Although we have talked about a Clave North here several times and I have put out requests for organizational help, everyone wants to go (and get free casting lessons) but a very small number of people (my last count, including myself, was two) have shown any real interest in actually working towards making it happen. The Oregon Claves have been successful because a group did the original work involved in putting it together, and then the enterprise was picked up by a local high-profile shop that has taken on the task. Now that the Clave has its own momentum things are "easier", but still require a lot of work from a lot of people. Without that sort of commitment up here a good-sized formal event won't happen.

"Mini Claves" are good ideas to replace a big event. Small numbers of interested people could organize something on their own, and either announce it here or keep it to themselves as they see fit. There are lots of casters around who might like to attend and offer assistance to others or simply just get together with a bunch of like-minded souls for a Spey "jam session."

·
Registered
80 Posts
I picked up the discussion/posts last night while checking for information on coho. They tossed the idea around informally and one suggested checking out your Spey Clave.

I do like the idea of a meeting up north (of Oregon) during the fall season. I proposed on another forum that we consider having some such affair on the Skagit River but the discussion went to hell in a hurry during a lighthearted, and misunderstood, reparte. It seems the trout guys were seriously po'ed that the emphasis was too much steelhead/salmon oriented. Oh well...

I would be more than willing to help if the thing was held somewhat south of the border (or if my contribution of effort and time could be made from a distance). Yet having said that, I would rather forego any such undertaking than get into another pissy-fit with others of short sight.

ws

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
This is a great idea, I will PM you with some of my ideas on this Dana. It would definitely be a kick-ass event!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dana, it was me that made the suggestion re the get together. I was pointing out that the over organized thing here seems to die before fruition. I forget who it was that said it, but when asked what he missed most about Canada while abroad, he replied, "the apathy.":)

·
Registered
200 Posts
A mini clave about March or April on the Skagit (Wa) would be great. Excellent winter fishing, lots of camp sites at the Steelhead Park, and the river is an easy drift down to Concrete. I'd be more than willing to help out if we can get something going. I can haul down my trailer from Mission, and there's an extra bed for someone who needs it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm, Steelhead Park on the Skagit - Great location! The timing though...

The Oregon clave in the spring is sorta written in stone now, so why not a late fall clave further north? Polar bear camping (*usually* not the case with our mild early winters) and off-season rates on motel rooms. Run timing could be interesting (or dissapointing, can't say which).

ws

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
SPEYCLAVE OF THE NORTH GREAT IDEA

Dana,
The fall Clave sounds great to me.
The Spring Clave was and will be in the future a great Success through the hard work of more than one person.
In order to successes you have to have some on who want to be in charge and willing to go the distance.
I for one enjoyed Jim Greens casting games on the Skagit.
With out a dought this was one the high points of the Spring Season.
Now we have Sandy Clave and you could not have picked a better place or shop to help.
But what of us?
Where do we want a Fall Clave?
Who is going to do the work?
And most important when?
With the summer over and winter fast approaching we may be a bit late for on this year,
The Spey Jam or a Speyday sounds more like it.
A chance to get together and have some fun and work on a better organization for next year.

:)
speybum

·
Coednakedspey
168 Posts
Correction

I think if we were to call it "Spey Clave North," if it was in Canada it would be more correct to call it "Spey Clave North, Eh?"

Why not have it on the Vedder River early May during the Fly fishing only opening for Spring runs? Mind you that would conflict with the Spey Clave Oregan going on. Maybe Later May, or maybe April? The River usually has a little bit more water then (at least in May) there are some Wild Spring run Steelhead around usually. A few kelts as well, but who said it was about the fishing?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will volunteer to help. Not lead or organize, but just be a grundoon. I'll carry the water, lick the stamps, etc.,

A couple of thoughts, tho'

To the extent that fish are available, then the Skagit would be better in March than in May. In fact, it may not be open in May.

In July/August, the Skykomish could be a good choice, but the gear guys have a significant presence on some sections of the river. On the other hand, a few of the local flyshops hereabouts conduct spey classes at the Ben Howard boat launch so a bunch of guys showing up with the long rods would not be out of place.

Also, lots of cheap hotels along the Sky and at least 10 fly shops within a 50 mile radius.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Speyshop's Speybum
462 Posts
This more like it

This sounds more like it.
Count me in.
I will help any way I can.
But we still some one with some organization skills??
I am a lot of things but organized is not one of them.
Any takers?
Need some more input.
Where are all the voices????????
Come on guys.
:rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts